PDA

View Full Version : Why we need moderators

Tom Walz
05-11-2010, 11:30 AM
Why we need moderators

Here is a link to a woodworking web site without moderators. It is usually half garbage. Today it is really revolting.

Neil Brooks
05-11-2010, 11:37 AM
The Good Old Boys Club, at its finest.

The tragedy of it is ... there are a number of people, there, with a fair bit of expertise.

If only they would "self-moderate," it would be a hugely useful group.

Sadly, though, the Old Boys have monolithic views on NON- woodworking-related issues, and have zero tolerance for anybody whose views aren't the same.

I like it here :)

Ray Bell
05-11-2010, 11:46 AM
That is a woodworking site??? Pretty disgusting, I didn't see one article on WW.

Paul Wunder
05-11-2010, 11:46 AM
Please delete the original thread, it stuns human sensibilities and has no place in a family forum..

Thanks

John Mark Lane
05-11-2010, 11:48 AM
Once upon a time, long ago, rec.woodworking was a pretty good group. I used to be a regular there about...uh... 15 years ago. Like most of Usenet, it deteriorated badly. Moderated, privately-owned, web-based discussion boards are the only place to have a civilized discussion about anything these days. I've been on many, in various topic areas. This is a nice one. I'm grateful for the opportunity to participate here.

Matt Meiser
05-11-2010, 11:48 AM
Yep, thanks for demonstrating exactly why this forum has the "no forum links rule" which was violated here.

Why would you even post a link to that ?????

Mr. Jeff Smith
05-11-2010, 11:52 AM
Not a fair comparison, that is a Usenet group, not a forum. Most if not all the junk there is a result of spamming via the open system Usenet is. As a means to discussion, it had its place and time.

Regarding moderators, I welcome our overlords. :)

Paul Atkins
05-11-2010, 11:53 AM
How can I ever 'unread' this? A warning would have been nice.....

Bill Wyko
05-11-2010, 12:12 PM
Is there another wood working site? :D

Don Selke
05-11-2010, 12:38 PM
I have been a member of this woodworking forum for a very long time due to its excillent content. The moderators and forum managers maintain this site to keep it as professional as possible. All internet sites are subject to those who want to vent there frustrations of life on others. Now and then, a post may get past a moderator, but it does not last for very long. The moderators and managers of this site volunteer there time to keep the site and it's content safe for all age groups. There is enough trash in the world today and we do not need any here. My yearly contributions are just a little token of my appreciation for good solid woodworking content and great forum management.

Dave Gaul
05-11-2010, 12:44 PM
Is there another wood working site? :D

Is there another site in general?:D:D

Bill Davis
05-11-2010, 5:16 PM
Why we need moderators

Here is a link to a woodworking web site without moderators. It is usually half garbage. Today it is really revolting.

Where is the link or was it removed ?

Ken Fitzgerald
05-11-2010, 5:22 PM
Bill,

It violates the Terms Of Service to post a direct link to another forum which the OP did do. The link was removed.

Believe me. I have the capability of viewing that which has been deleted. I viewed and went to the site. I can't believe that type of bigotted garbage is still alive today. It has no place in the lives of most people on this earth. You missed nothing of any value.

Steve Milito
05-11-2010, 5:51 PM
Bill,

It violates the Terms Of Service to post a direct link to another forum which the OP did do. The link was removed.

Believe me. I have the capability of viewing that which has been deleted. I viewed and went to the site. I can't believe that type of bigotted garbage is still alive today. It has no place in the lives of most people on this earth. You missed nothing of any value.

I'm not easily offended, but when I clicked the link I was truly offended. Fortunately the link was removed in a matter of minutes. Let's 'keep moving, there's nothing to see here'. ;)

Karl Brogger
05-11-2010, 8:25 PM
Since links aren't allowed, how about the name of the site.

David G Baker
05-11-2010, 10:14 PM
Karl B,
It is not worth your time or energy.

Rick Markham
05-11-2010, 10:25 PM
I'm exceptionally thankful to the moderator's here, and the quality of the members here. I spend the bulk of my free time here reading as much as I can, even when things get heated here, they are far from out of hand. Sawmill creek is a pretty special place, not many sites or forums on the net that can hold a candle to what this site provides! It always amazes me the wealth of information and the willingness of everyone involved to help everyone... from the new woodworker to the master furniture/ plane makers/ tool makers/ artisans that are involved here! Really an amazing place!!!! ;)

---Rick

Keith Albertson
05-11-2010, 10:25 PM
Thanks Ken, for your diligence and efforts. Thanks to you, I don't have to try to "unread" anything vile, unlike Paul.

Ken Fitzgerald
05-11-2010, 10:30 PM
Keith,

I didn't catch it. Keith Outten, Owner/Administrator, did.

After seeing the comments of some who saw it...I was inquisitive. As a Moderator we can view material that has been deleted, so I got the link and went and looked at it.

Pure garbage. I can see why some folks post that and don't use their real names. I surely wouldn't want my name tied to bigoted garbage like that!

Matthew Hills
05-12-2010, 2:23 AM
From the earlier posts, I'm guessing there was a link to some of the recent threads in rec.woodworking.

It's a pity that the newsgroup system hasn't found an effective way to deal with trolls/flames/spam. I miss having a the one-stop-shop of a centralized community and a fast way to read through threads on all of my varied interests. Some web forums (like sawmill creek) do develop enough momentum to support a focused community, but web forums are just not as easy to browse through the threads as with a newsgroup reader and have to go to a separate site for each topic (I will give a nod to web forums for photos, though :-)

Anyhoo, I would like to give a "chapeau" to sawmill creek -- was really gratified to get some useful responses to my (pretty inarticulate) question about getting overlay hinges installed.

Matt

Ben Franz
05-12-2010, 6:41 PM
Every once in a while, I start to get irritated by some minor restriction or prohibition imposed by the powers-that-be. Then I think of a few facts:

1. The mods are all volunteers that donate a lot of time and effort to keep SMC the civil, helpful forum it is.

2. My annual contribution is a trivial expense - maybe = 2 cups of Starbuck's finest. What I get in return is way more valuable and enjoyable.

3. I don't think Keith is taking any luxury cruises off his profits here - we can only guess at the blood sweat and tears he has donated to keep SMC going.

Discussions like those above just remind me how much I value the efforts of everyone to keep the Creek the best forum on the net. Thanks to Keith, Jackie, Aaron and all the moderators.

Tom Walz
05-13-2010, 11:12 AM
Sorry I broke the rules. Sorry I offended some people. Won't happen again.

Tom

Keith Outten
05-13-2010, 6:53 PM
Its OK Tom, I think everyone understands the point you were trying to get across and it is nice that every now and then people notice.

Thanks to all of you for noticing. We couldn't have a better group of Moderators, they work hard to keep things tidy and friendly around here.

Bill Wyko
05-13-2010, 7:42 PM
I would just like to add, I've seen SMC grow and bulge at the seams because of its popularity with quality woodworkers. Yet SMC still has that feeling of a regular group of friends that chat with respect and knowledge. IMNSHO you won't find a better group of talented people. :p