PDA

View Full Version : Pergo as a bar top?

Fred Voorhees
11-19-2004, 11:06 PM
Ok guys, here's something to mull over. I have just finished laying down the Pergo flooring in my new bar room (pics posted in Woodworking forum) and I have a substantial amount left over. Can't return the balance, as it was special order and I don't want to store it. I will be building a sixteen foot long bar for this room and although it wasn't originally planned, I was thinking about if it was possible to use the Pergo planking for the surface of the bar top. I called Pergo and they said that while I could probably use it for that purpose, it wasn't intended for that and hence, would not be honored by a guarantee. Well, I assumed that anyway.

But I was thinking that it would certainly stand up to the daily life of a bar top. The flooring guarantee states that water can be left standing on the floor up to thirty minutes before voiding the warranty. So if I am diligent about cleaning up any "moisture" on the bar surface, that shouldn't be a problem. I did ask about putting any kind of finish on the flooring (I wanted to use a two part epoxy for a built up appearance) and they told me - no, no finish should be applied.

l would probably want to glue the planking down to a subsurface, but I am slightly worried about movement and what gluing might do. We are not talking very wide here. Maybe up around twenty two to twenty four inches wide. Forget right now what I have written down in the plans.

Anybody have any thoughts on this application whether they be yeahs or neys? Any thoughts at all.

Pat Monahan
11-20-2004, 1:30 AM
Fred
For the record, I'm not an expert, nor have I done what you are proposing, but I don't see how movement on a bartop would be any different than a floor - both over a stable substrate, same glue or nails, etc. If I recall correctly, a one quarter inch expansion gap is required around the perimeter of a room, supposedly to allow a large expanse of expensive flooring that is firmly glued and/or nailed in place to a non-moving substrate, to expand with changes in moisture. :rolleyes: For a 24 inch bartop, I would think if the above will work just fine,then movement wouldn't be a problem given the relative sizes. As for the epoxy finish, I have heard good and bad about the results - just can't remember where I read it. Just my opinions, am quite willing to be corrected by those who have probably forgotten more than I know!:D

James Stokes
11-20-2004, 4:32 AM
Here is my 2cents worth. I am a pergo endorsed installer, you can glue the pergo to the top with no problem. When pergo is used on stairs it is glued down. Use a good wood flooring glue with full contact. Now I would use glue in the seams too. This will give you more moisture resistance. If you have a lot of condensation on a glass and set it directly on a seam, the moisture could soak in. Use a good acrylic glue for the seams. Cover the top of the toungue 100%, If you do this you should never have any problems.

Fred Voorhees
11-20-2004, 1:19 PM
Thanks James for that information. Nothing like getting it right from the horses mouth! I will be keeping my options open as far as the bar top goes. But, I'm now definitely leaning toward using the Pergo for that purpose. It would be hard to beat the toughness of the surface. Thanks again.

Jim Becker
11-20-2004, 2:39 PM
Fred, I see no reason not to use that valuable material, especially after James' comments. And the nice match with the room will look great!

James Stokes
11-20-2004, 3:27 PM
One other comment on the Pergo, When you install your bar DO NOT anchor it to the floor. The pergo has to be able to move.