PDA

View Full Version : My Mustard Monster

Edward Bartimmo
05-11-2010, 12:55 AM
I finally have got my 3520B where I want it. I recently added light mounting brackets to fit onto the connection points on the back of the headstock and tailstock at the points that where designed to attach the template arms. The brackets have been tapped to accept the threaded mounting studs that are provided with the quick disconnect Moffat lights (Craftsupply).

If anyone is interested in them I can probably talk to the machine shop that I had make them.

Edward Bartimmo
05-11-2010, 1:11 AM
Here are a couple of close ups on the mounting brackets. I had the brackets tapped to secure the mounting stud either on the top or the middle of the side of the bracket. The holes align with the top and bottom pre-drilled holes into the headstock & tailstock. I used the original hex headed screws. The center posts are the second mounting point on the bracket.

alex carey
05-11-2010, 1:33 AM
Congratz on the mustard, shes a hell of a machine. Nice additions to the lathe, I don't turn at night often but when I do having a well lit lathe is always troublesome, looks like you'll have no problems.

Bill Wyko
05-11-2010, 2:14 AM
Actually I was thinking of a good place for it myself:D Here!
That's one beautiful machine. Nice job on the lighting.

John Keeton
05-11-2010, 6:31 AM
Light! The one thing in a shop environment that seems always to be in short supply!

Good idea on the mounting setup. Has to make for much better visibility.

Roland Martin
05-11-2010, 7:14 AM
Nice job on the lighting set-up, there doesn't seem to be any limitations on lighting anywhere you would need it. Very well thought out and that mustard is awesome!

bob svoboda
05-11-2010, 8:50 AM
Nice light set up. I need to look into something like that for my mustard.

Paul Douglass
05-11-2010, 10:18 AM
WHAT A NICE SET UP!! Congrats!

Steve Schlumpf
05-11-2010, 10:28 AM
Looks like a great idea! Thanks for sharing!

Doug Wolf
05-11-2010, 10:35 AM
Nice placement of the lights.

What is the black post on the Tool Rest Support Base used for?

Thanks.

Edward Bartimmo
05-11-2010, 12:37 PM
Doug,

The black post you see on the rear of the tool rest is the support for the dust hood. The dust hood consists of 2 parts: 1) sliding base with vertical post and (2) the actual dust hood. If you look along either side of the tool rest there is a recessed groove that allows the sliding base to move forward or backward. The dust hood slides up or down on the tool post. It is really well thought out and the mouth of the dust hood articulates open or closed to fit your work piece. the hood is about around 15" wide. I think I spent like $60-$70 for the assembly. Best acessory for the 3520B

I have found only found two issues with the dust hood. First, when the dust hood is hooked up to a 4" hose the weight of the hose tends to rotate the mouth of the hood upward with the rear hose attachment point being dragged downward. THis is easily overcome with tightening the bracket or supporting the hose. I might just have to fabricate an adjustable support for the hose to take the weight of the hood. Second, if you are working on a small piece then you may have to angle the hood on a right forward angle to get it close to the workpice while avoiding the headstock. Simnple solution on really small pieces is to simple attach the 4" dust hose to the tool post.

I tried to find a picture or link of the Dust Hood, but I could find anything. There is a schematic illustration on page 39 of the owners manual, which is readily available online as a pdf. Tonight, I will take a picture of the dust hood and post them.

Nice placement of the lights.

What is the black post on the Tool Rest Support Base used for?

Thanks.

Edward Bartimmo
05-11-2010, 9:10 PM
I am attaching photos of the Dust Hood for the lathe that was discussed above. The mouth of the dust hood is 15" wide and with the upper jaw fully closed the opening is 8" tall, and with the upper jaw fully open it is 12" tall. For the price ($60-$70) it is huge bang for the buck from Powermatic. I couldn't have done better and my home made version would either have been over engineered or turned bowl cut in half....and I would still have spent more money plus time to get to same place.

Bernie Weishapl
05-11-2010, 9:14 PM
Really nice setup Edward.

Edward Bartimmo
05-11-2010, 9:15 PM
Here are a couple more shots of dust hood

Doug Wolf
05-12-2010, 9:18 AM
Edward, Thanks for the dust hood info and pictures, very informative.
I'm using a couple of box fans on a table behind the lathe with 5" furnace filters in front of them that seems to work okay. At least it pulls the fine dust away from me and the big stuff falls to the floor.

Paul Douglass
05-12-2010, 10:22 AM
Do you use a dust hood only when sanding? Or, during the whole turning process?

Edward Bartimmo
05-12-2010, 11:43 AM
Paul,

It really depends on what I am turning. If it is green wood and I am roughing then the shavings are large and gravity will readily drag them to the floor. If I am turning drier wood or aromatic woods or exotic woods then I have it running. Also if I am doing sheer cuts and sanding then it is always on. I attached a 4' section of flexible hose to it...when I am not using the dust hood I slide it off the support and hang it on a hook on the wall or curl it up on the floor. It is quite easy and very effective.

Do you use a dust hood only when sanding? Or, during the whole turning process?

Jeff Luedloff
05-13-2010, 7:09 AM
Nice lathe set up. i like you idea with the lights. have fun