PDA

View Full Version : Lathe

Mark Woodmark
05-10-2010, 9:11 PM
I am new to woodturning. I have a PSI midi lathe. It seems to do a pretty good job, but seems to be underpowered. Someday I plan too replace it after I get more proficient at using a lathe. My question is what lathes would everybody recommend and why? I plan to do mostly medium to larger bowl shaped items and occasionally spindle shaped items. I am looking for quality, ease of use, and accuraccy.....Thanks

alex carey
05-10-2010, 9:14 PM
if medium sized means 12" give or take then I think either the Jet 1642 or the Nova is in order.

Mike Cross
05-10-2010, 9:21 PM
You didn't mention your budget for the new lathe purchase. There are several choices. You will probably find that the Nova DVR and the Jet 1642 are very popular here among others like the Powermatic 3520. there are several threads with comparisons that you might do a search for to expolre all the differences and capabilities.

Mike

Mark Woodmark
05-10-2010, 9:54 PM
You didn't mention your budget for the new lathe purchase. There are several choices. You will probably find that the Nova DVR and the Jet 1642 are very popular here among others like the Powermatic 3520. there are several threads with comparisons that you might do a search for to expolre all the differences and capabilities.

Mike

No budget figured yet. More interested in what good and whats not

Kyle Iwamoto
05-10-2010, 9:59 PM
No budget? Powermatic 3520!:)

Paul Douglass
05-10-2010, 10:14 PM
My dream lathe is a Oneway, and don't ask me why, I just want one. I have not heard of any unhappy owners of the Powermatic. I have a Nova 1624 which I am becoming unhappy with but there are many with that lathe that love it.

Bernie Weishapl
05-10-2010, 10:35 PM
I have the Nova DVR XP which turns 16" inboard and 29" outboard. It was between it and the Jet 1642. The Nova had a smaller footprint and that is what I went with. Both will serve you well.

Allen Neighbors
05-10-2010, 11:47 PM
I have a Oneway 1640. Never had a problem with it. 16" swing inboard, 24" outboard. 2hp motor. Fit and finish, perfect. Accuracy of alignment, perfect. Worth every penny.
Mayo! The only way to go! (said while ducking, to dodge the Mustard slingers.....) :D

Roland Martin
05-11-2010, 7:16 AM
I absolutely love my Jet 1642 2hp. No regrets so far.

bob svoboda
05-11-2010, 8:47 AM
I have a Oneway 1640. Never had a problem with it. 16" swing inboard, 24" outboard. 2hp motor. Fit and finish, perfect. Accuracy of alignment, perfect. Worth every penny.
Mayo! The only way to go! (said while ducking, to dodge the Mustard slingers.....) :D
MUSTARD coming your way!!!:D 3520B:cool:

Thom Sturgill
05-11-2010, 9:50 AM
Mark, the biggest of the midis is currently the Delta with a 1hp VS motor & 12" swing. Many like it, and with a bed extension you can turn longer spindles. PSI makes one similar in size, but I haven't heard any reviews of it yet. The older Jet 1236 is about the same power, but uses mechanical speed change to get variable speed.

Next size up would be the Jet 1642 EVS available in either 1 1/2hp-120v or 2hp-220v. 16" swing and 42" bed. Many like this lathe, which weighs in at about 450#. I have this one. As has been said, the NOVA is in about the same class. $2K+ price range. These are the smaller of the full-size, stand alone lathes.

Next step up is usually the 'Mustard Monster' better known as the Powermatic 3520b. 20"swing VS with plenty of horses ($3500). This is what I consider the larger of the production manufactured lathes. Above this they seem to be pretty much individually built although the manufacturers do have base models. Prices here are in the $4K+ range.

There are of course other options, Grizzly is not particularly well though of in this forum, but their newest lathes (G0698 $1300, G0632 $1500) show promise. HF sells one lathe that seems to be usable and is priced right.

Reed Gray
05-11-2010, 10:07 AM
For mid sized lathes, that means ability to turn 16 inch bowls over the bed. One that hasn't come up yet is the Robust Liberty lathe. Sliding headstock, 2 hp motor, available with or without a stand, excellent fit and finish (I have the Robust American Beauty) and made in the USA. The Nova DVR, the Jet 1642 2 hp, and the Oneway, are all fine lathes, and all have variable speed, which is huge to me. I prefer the sliding headstock to the pivoting one, which leaves the Jet, and Laguna has one as well that has been cloned by a number of manufacturers. As you go bigger, they get more expensive, but most don't need the big swing for large turnings which are a specialty market. The PM is fine as well, but a bit bigger. I turned on mine for 8 years before stepping up to the Robust.

robo hippy

Paul Douglass
05-11-2010, 10:14 AM

I hope to join you soon in twarting off the mustard slingers. I'm going for the smaller 1224 because it is the size I want. This is dependant on being able to sell my Nova. May be difficult in my area, not a whole lot of turners around here.

Roger Chandler
05-11-2010, 10:32 AM
The Grizzly G0698 has features which are comparable to the PM3520b and Jet 16/42 evs. 2hp VFD , reversing, 1-1/4" spindle, 18"swing, 47" between centers, 4-3/8" quill travel and has been a quiet and reliable performer for me.

It was introduced on new years day 2010, so it does not have as long a track record as the Jet, but has performed flawlessly for me. It does not have a hand wheel, which some folks think is a must. I had a lathe with a handwheel, and the G0698 uses a locking spindle pin to allow mounting chucks and wood blanks on a screw chuck [just another way of doing the same things a handwheel does] Tom at JT Turnng tools has a vacuum adapter and set up for the G0698, so a vacuum system is not a problem.

I have turned on a PM3520b, and have friends in our local AAW chapter which have the Jet 16/42 evs, and I believe the performance of the G0698 is as good as both of them.

Good information is critical to understand what is on the market, so that is why I offer this posting. I wish you good success on which ever unit you choose. I will say this, that if at the time I was ready to buy, that I had a good bit of extra $$$$$ laying around, I would have gotten the Robust or Oneway because I like to support American workers when possible.

There is probably not a better value for the features on the market at this time than the Grizzly G0698.

Jeff Luedloff
05-11-2010, 7:51 PM
I have to admit Oneway's are sweet, save your money go for the Oneway 2436 3hp, I like mine.

Ken Fitzgerald
05-11-2010, 7:57 PM
Oh.....the elitists! Talk about slinging......the snobbish Mayo owners are trying to cause a ruckus!

Mustard....why pay for expensive Mayo when you can have spicier taste with Mustard......

Of course you could have a Serious lathe or a Robust American Beauty!

Joe Bradshaw
05-11-2010, 9:07 PM
Mark, I have two Oneways, a 1224 and a 2436. I figure that they will be the last lathes I will ever need to buy. I have never had any problems with either one of them. Try one and you will be hooked or to put it another way,you will find yourself on a oneway trip to the bottom of the vortex.

Reed Gray
05-12-2010, 11:31 AM
I did one bowl turning demo on the smaller 1 hp Oneway, and found it to be very underpowered, especially for the way I turn, and that was in the slow speed range. Nice lathe and all that, just not enough umph for me. I could slow it down with light pressure on a 3/4 inch scraper.

robo hippy

Roy Turbett
05-14-2011, 6:10 PM
Visit a local turning club and you may be able to try out several different lathes. Our club has several of Harbor Freights (low end) lathes that they use for teaching as well as several Jets, Deltas and a big Powermatic. Club members have everything from Serious, Oneways and Robust lathes and many are willing to invite newcomers to try them out. I have two Powermatic 90's that I rebuilt and a Jet v/s mini lathe in my shop and like them all. I raised the head and tailstock on one of the Powermatics 3" and can turn 15" bowls with the stock banjo. However, the 1hp single phase motor is a little underpowered for large out of round blanks. I have less than $1,000 in my Powermatics and think they are an good value. I bought the Jet mini used for $250. Why three lathes you ask? Its the vortex!

Jim Burr
05-14-2011, 8:10 PM
I'm in the Jet crowd...but think about what you want to turn now and 20 years from now. A club is a great start...you can almost be guaranteed some members will give you a shop tour. Some of the costs are scarry!..but consider your goals and what you aspire to. Now go make something and post pic's!!

mark anizan
05-19-2011, 9:01 AM
I have an old Craftsman 36 in lathe I inhereted from my father in law its at least 50 years old still does a great job. On all my larger projects. My little money maker is a HF mini I bought new for about a hundred bucks,its turned several thousand dollars worth of pens and is still doing great.I havent ever used it for anything else.

Jim Burr
05-19-2011, 11:58 AM
I'm in the Jet crowd. 1014 in use now & 1642 1.5hp coming in September.

Scott Hussey
05-19-2011, 4:29 PM
I'm a Jett(er) as well. Just upgraded my Delta 46-700 to a Jet EVS 1642 (1.5 hp) and I LOVE it. I've turned on a Robust, a mustard monster and now my Jet and my Delta. I will say the Jet isn't as nice as the Robust American Beauty but I also didn't have the 6+K for the Robust machine.

For me the deciding factor with going with the Jet 1.5 hp was that I don't have 220 and everything above the 1.5 hp seems to required 220v power.

I'm loving my Jet for now...as it's a huge step up from my Delta, but someday..who knows.

David DeCristoforo
05-19-2011, 4:41 PM
As you might have guessed, it's more about what you can invest than it is about which lathe is "best". If you have an unlimited budget, Oneway, Robust or Serious are your contenders. Then you have the Nova or Powermatic "level" and then the Jet or Delta which are nice machines for the dough. If you are on a tight budget, the Griz machines might be an alternative but I'm not a real big fan of them. Personally, I would buy an American Beauty in a heartbeat if money was no object. If it was, I would go with the PM. And if I could not afford that, I would start shopping for a good used machine.

Mark Hazelden
05-19-2011, 9:11 PM
I'm very happy with my recently purchased Jet 1642 2HP. I feel that I have plenty of room to "grow" with it will have it for quite some time.

I spent about 60 hours one week for a class turning on a Powermatic 3520B and it is a nice machine but more money.