PDA

View Full Version : Freud Safety dado set

Mike Reinholtz
05-10-2010, 8:04 PM
Anyone tried using one of the Freud SD300 series safety dado blade sets? The dado I use in my RAS is pretty dull and before I get it sharpened I would like to upgrade to a better model.

The stack is also available in 10" and 12" sizes, any thoughts on if they would offer a better cut quality? My RAS has a rebuilt 3hp 3 phase motor. I have to admit, 12" of dado spinning quickly coming at me is a bit unnerving. Might have to slow the VFD down for the first few cuts, that's a lot of momentum!:eek:

Thanks for the help!

p.s. Any idea what makes these "safety" blades?

Bruce Wrenn
05-10-2010, 9:24 PM
The safety comes from a technology that is almost universal now. The "hump" behind the teeth, limit the amount of stock that can be removed. I have a set, but have never used them. (I also have a Forrest Dado King that I haven't used.) The Safety Dado set is designed primarily for use in solid wood. My go to, everyday dado set is a Freud SD 208. It's the one with four chippers. The reason I have so many sets is they were too good a deal to pass up.

Mike Reinholtz
05-10-2010, 9:38 PM
Do they offer that one with a 1" arbor?

Chip Lindley
05-11-2010, 12:29 AM
Mike, I have only seen 10" and larger dado sets with a 1" arbor hole. The Freud 10" dado on a big 14"+ RAS such as yours, looks pretty small!