PDA

View Full Version : Laser Engraved Drawings

Brant Caldwell
05-10-2010, 6:34 PM
Hi everyone, i guess my last post was removed for some reason. So ill try again this time without any links or anything. I guess i would be considered a profesional when it comes to engraving onto stone with a laser. I wanted to post a few of my stones get some solid feed back.
I love these forums and learned most of what i know about laser engraving here.
http://www.myprotools.com/common/Data/VK/images/Pages/CustomWorks/Pets/MakStone.jpghttp://www.myprotools.com/common/Data/VK/images/Pages/CustomWorks/Events/JDRF_Etched.jpg

Larry Bratton
05-10-2010, 7:50 PM
Those are nice. I assume the one on the left is marble? how is it filled? The one on the right looks like black granite..again, how is it filled?

Steve Clarkson
05-10-2010, 8:01 PM
Very nice Brant......and welcome to the Creek.

Same question.....how are they colored/filled?

Also.....I went to your website......it'll be very nice once it's done. Did you design that yourself or pay an expert to do it?

Lastly, any chance you'd be willing to share the vector of "An Elegant Day"......love that one!

Frank Corker
05-11-2010, 7:38 AM
I think your first post which was almost identical to this was removed because you appeared to be advertising. This is not disimilar and in fact your Facebook page is also like a big advert.

Rodne Gold
05-11-2010, 10:14 AM
Its fairly easy to fill stone. You laser thru a mask and use the colourant of your choice (paint , wax etc)
If the stones is sealed prior to lasering , you need no mask. The wax based gilding pastes work well. We use either white or silver wax based pastes to "whiten" engraving on dark stone (as well as on glass where it whitens the often low contrast laser engraving)

Larry Bratton
05-11-2010, 11:29 AM
Thank you Mr Gold, as usual you are spot on.:) I would however like to know the specific method that Mr Caldwell used on the submitted pieces.

Brant Caldwell
05-11-2010, 2:48 PM
The portrait on the left was filled using a oil bassed paint and the logo on the right was filled in a 2 color masking process.

Larry Bratton
05-11-2010, 3:13 PM
The portrait on the left was filled using a oil bassed paint and the logo on the right was filled in a 2 color masking process.
Brant:
Was your oil based paint sprayed on or just flood filled with a brush? If you sprayed it, what did you use for removing the over spray? What type of masking did you use? That is a very nice piece.

Brant Caldwell
05-11-2010, 4:14 PM
The portrait was not filled using a mask or a spray, the type of fills that i choose to use really depends on the type of stone that i am working with, depending on how porous the stone is and the type of finish to the surface....etc The portrait picture stone is a tight pour stone with a lot of movement. the type of stone really will determine the steps i have to take to make the stone look great.

Brant Caldwell
05-11-2010, 5:23 PM
Hi Steve,
Just wanted to say thank you and i have learned so much from reading your posts and threads in the past. The website is a project that i am working on with my boss. He is a programmer solo programing the site and i am a art / computer freak.....and now over the last year or so a stone guy....lol

The art work for elegant day, was a illustration that i purchased on shutterstock.com i only have the rights to use it otherwise i would just give it to you. but that's where i got it. I was focused on doing photography prints on stone for a long time and struggled with that process and am still learning how to master that but i found great success with lasering drawings. I am a artist so its not a big deal to draw up something and try it out. One the biggest factors i found when doing any stone is knowing your materiel's. I can laser photo quality black and white prints on black plastic all day, and i have to make some displays. But i struggle with the black marble and granites. I think that has more to do with my stone then my technique though. Don't get me wrong i can get images that look really good, but i am a perfectionist and want that photo quality....;p sorry to rant on photos there. They drive me crazy

Larry Bratton
05-11-2010, 6:44 PM
The portrait was not filled using a mask or a spray, the type of fills that i choose to use really depends on the type of stone that i am working with, depending on how porous the stone is and the type of finish to the surface....etc The portrait picture stone is a tight pour stone with a lot of movement. the type of stone really will determine the steps i have to take to make the stone look great.
Well, I'm not a profesional (professional) so that's over my head. I'll just continue to stumble along my way. Thanks

Steve Clarkson
05-11-2010, 8:01 PM
Hi Steve,
Just wanted to say thank you and i have learned so much from reading your posts and threads in the past. The website is a project that i am working on with my boss. He is a programmer solo programing the site and i am a art / computer freak.....and now over the last year or so a stone guy....lol

The art work for elegant day, was a illustration that i purchased on shutterstock.com i only have the rights to use it otherwise i would just give it to you. but that's where i got it. I was focused on doing photography prints on stone for a long time and struggled with that process and am still learning how to master that but i found great success with lasering drawings. I am a artist so its not a big deal to draw up something and try it out. One the biggest factors i found when doing any stone is knowing your materiel's. I can laser photo quality black and white prints on black plastic all day, and i have to make some displays. But i struggle with the black marble and granites. I think that has more to do with my stone then my technique though. Don't get me wrong i can get images that look really good, but i am a perfectionist and want that photo quality....;p sorry to rant on photos there. They drive me crazy

Thanks for letting me know where you got it.

Photos drive us ALL crazy!

Rodne Gold
05-12-2010, 12:23 AM
Poor photos and customers with unrealistic expectations who provide poor artwork are what makes this type of engraving so difficult. I have the same with large format digital printing - customers want a crisp 12'x8' image when all is provided is a business card.

Martin Boekers
05-12-2010, 3:01 PM
Poor photos and customers with unrealistic expectations who provide poor artwork are what makes this type of engraving so difficult. I have the same with large format digital printing - customers want a crisp 12'x8' image when all is provided is a business card.

Rodne, you're lucky they give you business cards to work with, some of us get rough sketches on a napkin:D

Marty

Brant Caldwell
05-12-2010, 5:19 PM
Rodne, you're lucky they give you business cards to work with, some of us get rough sketches on a napkin:D

Marty

I think i would prefer the napkin sketch if i drew it....lol

I have weird question, just had a customer ask me if i could laser on pumas stones. has anyone here tried that?

Bruce Volden
05-12-2010, 8:05 PM
I think i would prefer the napkin sketch if i drew it....lol

I have weird question, just had a customer ask me if i could laser on pumas stones. has anyone here tried that?

Pumas or pumice? If it's pumice think sponge with deep holes and very lightweight so prolly not??

Bruce

Brant Caldwell
05-13-2010, 10:53 AM
pumice stone, the kind people use to clean there feat.
Yeah its the one with the little holes in it

JAIME PUJOL
05-14-2010, 10:19 AM
Very Very Nice. Thanks so much for sharing I learn a lot today. Still not sure how to mask. But will read more about it.
Thank everyone for sharing