PDA

View Full Version : Number 78 plane

Izzy Camire
05-10-2010, 2:07 PM
I was at an antique tool dealer yesterday and he had 2 number 78 planes. They were in great condition. The thing is that all they said on them is 78 nothing else. Anyone know who the manufacterer would be?

Jeremy Dorn
05-10-2010, 3:02 PM
A picture would help square away an indentification, but the 78 was a standard Stanley in many craftsman's tool boxes, used for coarse rabbiting work.

I know many other manufacturers also had similiar items, though often they were listed under diff #'s. I think Craftsman had a 78 though, recently saw one in an antique store with grey paint.

JD

James Scheffler
05-10-2010, 6:59 PM
A picture would help square away an indentification, but the 78 was a standard Stanley in many craftsman's tool boxes, used for coarse rabbiting work.

I know many other manufacturers also had similiar items, though often they were listed under diff #'s. I think Craftsman had a 78 though, recently saw one in an antique store with grey paint.

JD

The equivalent to the Stanley 78 is the Craftsman No. 3730. (At least the 1950s version I have). This Craftsman is a re-branded Sargeant No. 79. Some of the parts were cast with a "79" on them, even though it's definitely a Craftsman. Mine is gray like the one you saw.

Jim S.

harry strasil
05-10-2010, 8:00 PM
They are usually missing the depth stop and the fence and rod.

Don Dorn
05-10-2010, 10:07 PM
I have the off chute of that plane in the Record 778. Difference is a wheel adjuster as opposed to lever and the fence is full length.

Frank Drew
05-12-2010, 1:10 PM
I have the off chute of that plane in the Record 778. Difference is a wheel adjuster as opposed to lever and the fence is full length.

The Record 778 is one of my favorite planes; the fence has two rods and I think the 78 has only a single one, so the former design is more stable and secure in use, IMO. Somehow I've managed not losing any of the parts, large and small, since I bought mine over thirty years ago.