PDA

View Full Version : Oak plywood delam

Joe Johnson MI
05-10-2010, 11:02 AM
We moved into a house that was almost restored. The kitchen has some work yet to be done, but they've done the lion's share. When going through the garage I found a full sheet of what appears to be 5/8" oak plywood which should help a lot. However, the weather has severely compromised one side. I plan on using the plywood for a shelf, so can put the damaged side up. But I'd still like to get a smooth finish on it. When I started to sand it basically I got splinters pulling up and the soft areas of grain simply deteriorating. Is there any way to keep what's left of that side? I think the other side is fine. I'll just need to clean it up a bit and finish it.

Thanks.

Joe Chritz
05-10-2010, 11:11 AM
Probably not. Chances are very high that if one side was compromised enough to cause that damage the entire piece is bad. I would be concerned about the longevity of anything built with it.

Joe

glenn bradley
05-10-2010, 12:21 PM
I agree with Joe. If the material has reached that state I would question the value of bothering to install it.

Norman Pyles
05-10-2010, 5:25 PM
You can go to Home Depot, and get a sheet of 3/4 USA made oak ply for 39 bucks. Would not be worth the risk for me.