PDA

View Full Version : Need Source for Metric Router Bits - like Yesterday

Belinda Barfield
05-10-2010, 10:29 AM
Can anyone recommend a source for metric router bits that might have them in stock, rather than special order? I don't have five days to wait. Need the following:
3 mm round over 1/4" shank with bearing
12 mm round over 1/2" shank no bearing
6 mm end mill 1/4" shank

Thanks in advance for any help!

Vijay Kumar
05-10-2010, 11:22 AM
Lee Valley has the 1/4 inch shank 6mm diameter.

Festool should have the other bits. Try a large Festool dealer.

Vijay

Belinda Barfield
05-10-2010, 11:36 AM
Thanks for the reply, Vijay. I've already spoken with all the Festool dealers in our area, and according to the representatives I spoke with the bits I need are special order.

Vijay Kumar
05-10-2010, 9:49 PM
Did you try my favorites Bob Marino, festool junkie. Mcfeelys is a large vendor and might have stock.
And once you find a source please post it here.

Best

Vijay

Jamie Buxton
05-10-2010, 10:45 PM
Do they really have to be metric? A 3 mm roundover is only 6 thousandths different from 1/8". A 12 mm roundover is pretty close to 1/2". And 6 mm is nearly 1/4". Those inch-measured bits may not be ideal, but they're all readily available.

Rick Lizek
05-11-2010, 5:51 AM
Can't imagine why you need metric.As said it's very close to imperial sizes. If you must a sharpening shop could sharpen a new bit to reduce the size in a short time. My local sharpening shop can sharpen while I wait if need be.

Please explain the need for such sizes...

Belinda Barfield
05-11-2010, 7:59 AM
The item to be fabricated is for a European company. Tolerances are extremely important. For all parts to mesh as they should the round overs must be as exact as possible. The parts will be wrapped in wire and x amount of wire per part is already set up on the production line. That's the best way I can explain it.

David Cefai
05-12-2010, 12:49 AM
Trend UK sell both metric and imperial bits. I don't know if they do the same in the US but you could try. Otherwise you could get the bits from the UK by special delivery.

Rick Fisher
05-12-2010, 3:17 AM
Freud has a complete line of metric router bits.

Most of the world is actually metric. :o

I would order the bits from a Canadian company.. Doubt Freud would stock them in the USA .. but you could try ..

I always find this subject odd.. Its like ya'll are in a different country .. :)

Belinda Barfield
05-12-2010, 8:24 AM
Freud has a complete line of metric router bits.

Most of the world is actually metric. :o

I would order the bits from a Canadian company.. Doubt Freud would stock them in the USA .. but you could try ..

I always find this subject odd.. Its like ya'll are in a different country .. :)

Thanks all for your replies. Rick, I tried Freud but as you guessed, custom order.

I was able to buy a little time on the job so I ordered custom bits from Onsrud through our local dealer. I had to pay for expediting but what the heck, the money for this is in the job.

As for being in a different country . . . I feel like that most of the time! :D

BTW, it's y'all, not ya'll - and since when do Canadians say "y'all"? :D

John Thompson
05-12-2010, 8:59 AM
[QUOTE=Belinda Williamson;

BTW, it's y'all, not ya'll - and since when do Canadians say "y'all"? :D[/QUOTE]

Would a "real" southern lady please step up to the plate and straighten out the improper use of Southern dialect and in-correct spelling of such...

Your HIRED... double trouble! ha..ha... ha..ha..ha..

Regards from the north.. north of Savannah that is! ;)

Belinda Barfield
05-12-2010, 9:25 AM
Would a "real" southern lady please step up to the plate and straighten out the improper use of Southern dialect and in-correct spelling of such...

Your HIRED... double trouble! ha..ha... ha..ha..ha..

Regards from the north.. north of Savannah that is! ;)

Thank you, sir, I was looking for a new job. Double Trouble . . . who was the last person to call me that? Oh yeah, that would be YOU! :D

John Thompson
05-12-2010, 9:59 AM
Thank you, sir, I was looking for a new job. Double Trouble . . . who was the last person to call me that? Oh yeah, that woudl be YOU! :D

And no doubt with just cause! Keep it tween the lines down in the low country but... that certainly doesn't rule out being "foot loose and fancy free" by a long shot my dear! Carry on...

Regards for the day to the sister-hood... ;)