PDA

View Full Version : Old bowl scraper into skew

Faust M. Ruggiero
05-10-2010, 9:23 AM
I bought a second hand lathe a bunch of years ago. It came with basic tools. I never learned a "cutting" technique and scraped everything I made. I added two Sorby bowl scrapers, a straight one and a round nosed scraper. Until recently they were the most modern tools I owned.The lathe has spent the past 15 years in storage. Lately, I've gotten the urge to turn. A bit of research quickly convinced me a lot has changed in tooling, equipment, sharpening and technique. The safety drive alone is a miracle invention. I bought a couple instructional videos and tools and am trying to learn an appropriate technique. I'm mostly just practicing without really making a project but I would like to learn both spindle and bowl turning technique. Anyway, here's my question. I would like a nice heavy duty skew. I am considering grinding one of the bowl scrapers into a skew chisel. It seems like the function of a bowl scraper has been made obsolete by better bowl gouges and the proper technique. Is there still a use for a 3/8" thick 1 3/8 wide bowl scraper. Should I save it for anything or is it a relic in this new world of turning?
fmr

Bernie Weishapl
05-10-2010, 10:09 AM
There are a lot of people that still use scrapers on bowls for final cuts. I do have a couple of scrapers including a big one like you mentioned but I just haven't used them much at all. I don't use them on bowls. If you want a couple good DVD on bowls get Bill Grumbines Turned Bowls Made Easy and Mike Mahoney's From The Tree To The Table you will see about all the cuts you need for bowls. Don't get me wrong you can use a scraper on bowls and a lot of turners do use them on bowls. Some that is all they use to turn bowls but I just don't. I do have Alan Lacer's big 3/8" by 1 3/8" skew and love it.

David E Keller
05-10-2010, 2:51 PM
I use a big heavy scraper on occasion, so I would keep it as a scraper. I don't do much larger spindle turning, so a skew that large wouldn't be desirable for me. I think it's a matter of personal preference.

Leo Van Der Loo
05-10-2010, 8:41 PM
I bought a second hand lathe a bunch of years ago. It came with basic tools. I never learned a "cutting" technique and scraped everything I made. I added two Sorby bowl scrapers, a straight one and a round nosed scraper. Until recently they were the most modern tools I owned.The lathe has spent the past 15 years in storage. Lately, I've gotten the urge to turn. A bit of research quickly convinced me a lot has changed in tooling, equipment, sharpening and technique. The safety drive alone is a miracle invention. I bought a couple instructional videos and tools and am trying to learn an appropriate technique. I'm mostly just practicing without really making a project but I would like to learn both spindle and bowl turning technique. Anyway, here's my question. I would like a nice heavy duty skew. I am considering grinding one of the bowl scrapers into a skew chisel. It seems like the function of a bowl scraper has been made obsolete by better bowl gouges and the proper technique. Is there still a use for a 3/8" thick 1 3/8 wide bowl scraper. Should I save it for anything or is it a relic in this new world of turning?
fmr

Faust not really answering your question, other than to say yes the scraper is still used at times, but I would strongly suggest to find a turners club (there are many clubs now) or/and some turner that will help you with the basics at least.
If you Google " AAW "you can find the local chapter addresses and contacts on there site, here's a picture as this is about the only way I can give you some addresses up here :confused:

Richard Madison
05-10-2010, 9:07 PM
Faust, Might want to leave that monster scraper as it is and buy a smaller skew (maybe 1") to learn/practice with. Years ago I had a skew that I never learned to use, and ground it into a large, rounded scraper. A few years later realized that I was not using that scraper and ground it back into a skew. That I still have not learned to use. All my scraping and shear scraping is/are done with bowl gouges. Reed Gray (Robo Hippy) uses scrapers extensively in bowl turning. I tell my students (when I get some this weekend) that nearly everything in woodturning can be done two or three different ways, all of which work well for different folks.

Wally Dickerman
05-10-2010, 9:25 PM
Faust, That heavy duty scraper is a great tool to use. Grind it with a 30 deg. grind and side grind it on the left side for a couple of inches. In the inside bottom of a bowl you can make short work of achieving a smooth even surface. Use it sharp and with a burr. And use a light touch. You can also use it as a shear scraper, tilted to 30 or more degrees and again used with a light touch. As you become skilled with a bowl gouge you may or may not do away with the scraper. I've turned a lot of bowls and I often finish up the bottom with a HD scraper.

If you are going to do large heavy spindle work, a skew that big and heavy would be great. Otherwise, I'd go for a standard 1 inch skew.

Wally

Ken Fitzgerald
05-10-2010, 9:40 PM
I have a Sorby ExtraHD inside bowl scraper. There are times when my skills even with a sharp bowl gouge won't get it done. That sharp EXHD scraper can be the right tool for the job then.

Faust M. Ruggiero
05-11-2010, 12:44 PM
Thanks for all the replies. The scrapers, both round and straight will live on. I sprung for a decent skew chisel and am happily practicing basic cuts. I did buy an instructional video targeted at the skew and will learn the basics.
Leo, I took your advise and joined AAW and there is a local chapter. Woodworkers in general are a wonderful group and always willing to share their skills. I am sure our local turners will be very helpful.
I can see turning can get addictive and expensive. I've always been a sucker for new tools. I suspect psychological counseling can cost big bucks and I see my shop as a substitute for a psychologists couch. I am thinking about visiting the AAW Symposium but I'm not sure I could control myself. A visit there could end up in a "Oneway" ticket to the poor house.
fmr