PDA

View Full Version : If you need to be motivated

Keith Outten
05-10-2010, 7:49 AM
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=1419162#post1419162

This is the link to the announcement I made concerning your opportunity to win a brand new table top CAMaster Stinger CNC Router on the Forth of July.

The Creek is sponsoring about half of the cost of this machine so I hope those of you who are sitting on the fence concerning joining the Friends of The Creek Directory will be motivated to sign up, if not Jackie will surely cancel my birthday this year :)

This is a first class machine capable of commercial quality work. Adding CNC capability to your laser engraving services is an excellent means of boosting your profit, it did for me. When I post the pictures of this machine on Friday evening you will understand why I am so excited about this drawing, someone is going to win an incredible prize.

Features are
- 25” x 36” x 5” Cutting Area
- Bosch PR20EVSK Colt Variable-speed Router
- Standard 3 axis High Definition Microstep Drive System
- Rack & Pinion on all Axes
- Sealed MDF Tabletop
- Hiwin Bearings And Rails On All Axes
- Dust Hood
- E-Stop
- Limit Switches On All Axes With Soft Limits
- Welded Frame
- Cut 2D Design Program
- Mach 3 Windows PC-Based CNC Control System

Upgrades are
- T Slot Clamping System
- Aluminum Tooling Plate
- Mini Recoil Indexing Lathe
- Porter Cable 2.25HP Router
- Windows XP Computer & Monitor
- V Carve Pro
- Aspire

I am also trying to get as many FreeStuff Drawings scheduled for the Forth of July as I can for our Contributors.

Belinda Barfield
05-10-2010, 8:31 AM
Keith,

I really wish you would stop encouraging people to sign up for FTOC before July 4th . . . it's really decreasing my odds of winning!! :D:D

Keith Outten
05-10-2010, 10:34 AM
Belinda,

I understand your point of view but on the other hand I may lose my birthday :)

The odds this morning are one in 31 since the SawMIll Creek, Northwind and CAMaster records are not eligible to win. The machine is valued at almost $6,000.00 so I am pretty sure you were prudent joining FOTC when you did and got a low record number to boot :)

Thanks for your support, you know that I appreciate everyone who supports SawMill Creek. :D:D:D:D:D:D:D

James Terry
05-10-2010, 8:55 PM
You could offer your file collection cds to FOTC joiners as an incentive. This might just tip the scale for me personally; two stones, one bird... Did I get that right?

What was the official response to not having a working site yet to actually link to regarding the FOTC listings? Being on the newbie side of things still, I havent yet gained momentum with my table. I know what I want to be doing, but just havent started creating items for a storefront.

Keith Outten
05-11-2010, 5:59 AM
I added the features and upgrades information that Joey sent me yesterday.
More information and pictures will be available on Friday.

James, you don't have to be a professional or have a web site to join our Friends of The Creek Directory. If you don't have a web site you can leave that field blank. SawMill Creek is sponsoring almost half of the cost of the CNC Router Drawing, I hope the CNC machine is incentive enough :)

Keith Outten
05-12-2010, 6:57 AM
We are starting to discuss a group purchase of CAMaster Stingers for the Members of this Community. Anyone interested in getting involved please contact me or post in this thread so I can start putting together a list of potential buyers and CAMaster could then put together a discount price for the group.

Without discussing this with CAMaster I would recommend that a deposit would be warranted to help them to order materials, parts and take advantage of discounts from their suppliers that they could then pass on to us.

Speak out if this interests you.........No commitments are necessary at this time just trying to see if there is interest.

Dan Hintz
05-12-2010, 7:42 AM
Interested...

Mitchell Andrus
05-12-2010, 8:08 AM
Interested.

Michael Hunter
05-12-2010, 9:55 AM
Very interested! Shipping might be a problem though.

Keith Outten
05-12-2010, 10:43 AM
We currently have seven people who are interested and the day is still young.

Michael, why would shipping be a problem?

Dan Hintz
05-12-2010, 11:20 AM
Michael,

Looks like international orders have an extra $495 crating fee, but shipping by boat isn't really that expensive... this is a relatively small machine, all things considered. Still, expect to pay $1k+ more than those in the US.

Martin Boekers
05-12-2010, 2:55 PM
Interested, as a CNC is a planned buy for me before the end of the year. ;-]

Marty

Joey Jarrard
05-12-2010, 3:45 PM
Dan,
The $495 is for the Cobra and MC Lines, It is for the prep we have to go through. we also have to spray them. The Stinger will be less.

Any one needing special shipping please PM me and I can get a price quote on your location. We have a price on the lower 48 with lift gate.

Joey

Keith Outten
05-13-2010, 7:19 AM
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=140140

This is the link to our Stinger bulk buy discount thread for SawMill Creek Members.

Joey Jarrard
05-13-2010, 10:18 AM
Link to Buzz thread with video link on post 40
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=139731

Keith Outten
05-14-2010, 11:43 AM
Here is the link to the Stinger web site:

http://www.stingercnc.com/

Dan Hintz
05-17-2010, 12:29 PM
Joey,

A few questions:
1) Is this a 120V or a 220V system?
2) PC connection... serial, parallel, USB, Ethernet?
3) Is this (partially) assembled on-site? If I can't get it through a standard doorway, I'm SOL... Amy won't let me leave it in the TV room, so if I can't bring it in piece by piece, it's going to be an issue ;)
4) Will this handle metal (aluminum... not expecting it to drill hardened steel without coolant)?

Scott Shepherd
05-17-2010, 1:46 PM
If it won't fit in your house, I have a place here it'll fit just fit. It'll have friends to play with it too. It'll never be lonely :)

Joey Jarrard
05-18-2010, 11:43 AM
Joey,

A few questions:
1) Is this a 120V or a 220V system?
2) PC connection... serial, parallel, USB, Ethernet?
3) Is this (partially) assembled on-site? If I can't get it through a standard doorway, I'm SOL... Amy won't let me leave it in the TV room, so if I can't bring it in piece by piece, it's going to be an issue ;)
4) Will this handle metal (aluminum... not expecting it to drill hardened steel without coolant)?

1. It is 110v
2. If you go with Mach 3 it is a 25 pin serial. If wincnc a 35 pin.
3. All CAMaster machines come ready to go no putting together.
If you have 2 people then you can turn it on it's side and walk through
a door with the machine.
4. The Stinger can cut aluminum you need to limit your cut depth per pass.
Your feeds and speeds will be very important. Also you will need to use coolent.

I hope the answers your questions if you have more please let me know.

Dan Hintz
05-18-2010, 12:07 PM
2. If you go with Mach 3 it is a 25 pin serial. If wincnc a 35 pin.
That's a bit of a problem... serial/parallel ports are going the way of the Dodo. I cannot see purchasing a new computer just to get a port type that's no longer in fashion (room is already tight), and it's difficult to find a quality USB-to-serial converter.

3. All CAMaster machines come ready to go no putting together.
If you have 2 people then you can turn it on it's side and walk through
a door with the machine.
Do you have an exact measurement? The door to the hallway leading to my workshop is only 28", if memory serves... getting the laser in there required removing the support cart and flipping the bed on its side.

Right now, though, the serial connection is my biggest concern...

seaver dave
05-18-2010, 1:26 PM
Keith

I am also interested in joining the group purchase.

Dave Seaver

Norberto Coutinho
05-18-2010, 2:01 PM
Hi Dan
Why not to use a PCI Serial Port?
http://www.google.com.br/#q=pci+serial+port&hl=pt-BR&prmd=s&start=0&sa=N&fp=ae75175c90c86d6c

Joey Jarrard
05-18-2010, 2:18 PM
With the e-chain removed it is 28" tall.

In automation we need to have a large number of pins isolated. With the control software we need to be able to trust the signals going from the PC to the machine. A good number need to be shielded to protect against out side signals or noise. With a usb you only have 4 contacts and the way it works is by combining one or more to make a signal. I do agree the way of the older ports are on the down slide but it will be a long time before commercial automation will be able to switch over. And USB will not be the choice. It will be fiber optics. This is being used now in servo systems for motion control. But only between the drive and the motor. There is still a connection between the drive and the control PC. I know the printers and some laser systems use usb, but it is move left move right fire here turn of there. There is a lot more needed to the control a 3 to 5 axis machine doing 2.5 or 3D carvings.

I hope this information helps

Bryan Cowan
05-18-2010, 2:53 PM
Dan,

I have a CAMaster Mini Cobra (MC2840) and cut 1/8" 6061 aluminum sheets all day long without coolant. Like Joey said, many light passes are required; I use about 4.

CAMaster is a freakishly great machine. If I didn't already have one, I'd join the raffle!

Jim Terrill
05-18-2010, 2:59 PM
Do you have an exact measurement? The door to the hallway leading to my workshop is only 28", if memory serves... getting the laser in there required removing the support cart and flipping the bed on its side.

FWIW, a standard door is 30 or 32" although 36" is becoming more common. 28" would not be standard unless the house is older.

Dan Hintz
05-18-2010, 3:07 PM
Bryan, I'm a FOTC already :) I'll suck it up and get a new machine if I win it :D

FWIW, a standard door is 32" although 36" is becoming more common. 28" would not be standard unless the house is older.
'72... and I'm remodeling everything, once room at a time (of course, the workshop was first :D ). The last couple of weekends has seen me running a new power cable underground to the shed and carport. The guy who owned the house before us was a DIY-er wanna-be... his idea of running electrical cable consisted of "I need a cable over here, so I'll run one straight across from waaaay over there, drilling holes in every joist along the way." His old cable to the shed shorted on one of the metal staples he was so found of, pounding with a hammer so hard the sheathing was creased... eventually, it bled electrons.

Dee Gallo
05-18-2010, 5:49 PM
Bryan, I'm a FOTC already :) I'll suck it up and get a new machine if I win it :D

Yeah, I saw you are listed 3 times... are you loading the deck? ;)

Michael Hunter
05-19-2010, 6:03 AM
Dan is right about the PC thing - you'd want a recent (1 or 2 year old) PC to run 3D CAD software at a reasonable speed, yet the CNC router needs a 5-6 year old machine running a near-obsolete operating system to operate it.
A hobbyist might be willing to source and refurbish an old PC for the purpose, but the days when a business is prepared to do that must be rapidly diminishing.

Unless the makers of small CNC machines address this problem, they will find that in a few year's time their only customers will be ageing computer geeks (wearing anoraks).

The big-name laser makers all use custom electronics inside the box, allowing the machine to look like a "printer" and connect via USB or ethernet. Yes - it adds a lot of cost to the unit, but the value to a business of being able to turn it on and use it straight away is also high.

PS Dee is right - Dan must want the Stinger very badly!

Dan Hintz
05-19-2010, 6:26 AM
LOL, I never noticed the triple listing. I initially didn't see my listing at all, so I sent Keith a PM to see what the hold up was. Shortly thereafter I had three listings (compensation for making me wait? :) ). I've sent another PM asking to trim things back down to one.

It would have been like purchasing extra raffle tickets to up my chances :D

Joey Jarrard
05-19-2010, 7:56 AM
Dan is right about the PC thing - you'd want a recent (1 or 2 year old) PC to run 3D CAD software at a reasonable speed, yet the CNC router needs a 5-6 year old machine running a near-obsolete operating system to operate it.
A hobbyist might be willing to source and refurbish an old PC for the purpose, but the days when a business is prepared to do that must be rapidly diminishing.

Unless the makers of small CNC machines address this problem, they will find that in a few year's time their only customers will be ageing computer geeks (wearing anoraks).

The big-name laser makers all use custom electronics inside the box, allowing the machine to look like a "printer" and connect via USB or ethernet. Yes - it adds a lot of cost to the unit, but the value to a business of being able to turn it on and use it straight away is also high.

PS Dee is right - Dan must want the Stinger very badly!

We have brand new PC's built to our specs with the ports made in to on the state of the art Azus mother boards. the fact that the out of the box pc you get at pc in a box chain stores do not carry them does not make them hard to find. A option with the stinger is a PC for 650 with 19" flat monitor.

Joey

Michael Hunter
05-19-2010, 4:51 PM
Joey

Thats good to hear about the motherboard and solves the problem for now.

(I won't go into my experiences of sourcing motherboards for industrial PC use - just that what is standard in May is "special" in August [at 5 times the price] and no longer available by November!)