PDA

View Full Version : Spalted Holly w/African Blackwood Finial

Mike Minto
05-10-2010, 7:49 AM
This one kept me on my toes. The holly is fragile, and I managed to turn the whole thing, even the sides, pretty thin. About 8" tall by 7" wide, overall. Used my Trent Bosch extreme bent tool on my Jamieson hollowing rig to reach the extremes. The collar is Gabon ebony, and the finial of African Blackwood. The finish is Deft lacquer, my first attempt with it; I like it. Dries quickly and has lots of shine. 3 wheel buffed with Ren wax. (just a note - the opening thru which i hollowed the piece is where the ebony collar begins - the black ring is merely epoxy and coffee grounds covering up a ring to hide screw holes - this started out as a bowl, and became a hollow form, bad planning on my part but i think the ring works).

Steve Schlumpf
05-10-2010, 8:18 AM
Mike - very impressive hollow form!

Beautiful spalted Holly! Great color contrast throughout the piece! You sure picked a hard form to hollow but it looks great!

Very nice work on the finial! You captured that delicate look everyone is after! Very clean - with crisp details!

You did good! Looking forward to seeing some more of your work!

Kevin J Lalonde
05-10-2010, 8:38 AM
Nice piece. Seems like when guys get their hollow forms and finials looking that great the next thing is a "photo tent"! I think its time you graduated Mike. As for me i'll just stick with the countertop for now!:D

Aaron Wingert
05-10-2010, 8:55 AM
Great looking piece Mike. That thing is FLAT (which makes it impressive)! I haven't done much hollowing, but I bet it doesn't get much more challenging than a form like that.

Karl Card
05-10-2010, 9:09 AM
Very nice piece and choice of woods... I have turned spalted holly and yes it is delicate but oh so worth it.

I havent seen many people use the deft lacquer but I use it also and really like it. I compare it to the clearest glass you can buy when it is dried...

John Keeton
05-10-2010, 9:20 AM
Nice work, Mike!! I have a spalted holly form I am working on presently. It is beautiful wood, and I enjoy working with it. Sands out nicely.

You accomplished a nice finial with this piece, and I agree with the others on the hollowing - getting to the far inside of this piece must have been a heck of a challenge!

What do you think of the ebony compared to the blackwood? I am working with the ebony presently, and not impressed. The blackwood seems to turn so much cleaner.

Mike Minto
05-10-2010, 9:33 AM
What do you think of the ebony compared to the blackwood? I am working with the ebony presently, and not impressed. The blackwood seems to turn so much cleaner.

John, I like both (the ebony is just so black and polishes so well), but have to agree that for finials, the blackwood is the first choice - stiff, and strong even in very thin diameters. Takes such fine detail so well.

Bernie Weishapl
05-10-2010, 9:39 AM
Very nice HF Mike. The spalted holly is really a nice looking wood and your finial is well done.

Bill Bolen
05-10-2010, 11:04 AM
Gorgeous piece Mike! The finial works so well with the Holly. I've found that the broad shoulder to be a very tough form to get hollowed and kept in one piece. Great bit of turning to manage that...Bill...

Thom Sturgill
05-10-2010, 12:46 PM
Well done, Mike! Lovely wood, well presented. The screw holes are one reason I tend to use the worm wood screw if I don't start between centers.

alex carey
05-10-2010, 1:18 PM
I haven't turned any Holly but now I really want to. Great piece, finial works well.

John Keeton
05-10-2010, 2:18 PM
...I tend to use the worm wood screw if I don't start between centers.I nearly always start with the worm screw if I can get a decently flat mount, and back it up with the tailstock until I can get it balanced out.

Mike Minto
05-10-2010, 3:23 PM
Well done, Mike! Lovely wood, well presented. The screw holes are one reason I tend to use the worm wood screw if I don't start between centers.

Thom, I use a screw center sometimes, but tend to strip the hole it's in, then I'm in trouble! :o