PDA

View Full Version : Mom's Day 2010 Bowl from Cherry

Mike Minto
05-10-2010, 7:40 AM
Textured with the Sorby texturing tool, here's my present to the wife for Mother's Day this year. About 8"x2.5"; heavy. 3 wheel buffed with Ren wax.

Steve Schlumpf
05-10-2010, 8:22 AM
Nice work Mike! Very contemporary feel to the bowl! All the texturing really adds to the piece - creates a feeling of motion!

This should age beautifully! Thanks for sharing!

Doug W Swanson
05-10-2010, 8:33 AM
The spiraling really makes this bowl stand out. Very nice job!

Doug

Kevin J Lalonde
05-10-2010, 8:35 AM
Mike your really knocking them out lately. Bowl looks great. The texturing is a really nice touch. I agree with steve about the motion of the bowl.

Bernie Weishapl
05-10-2010, 9:56 AM
Really a pretty bowl Mike and the texturing really sets it off.

John Keeton
05-10-2010, 11:05 AM
Another nice piece, Mike! I really need to see one of those texturing tools in action. Sure makes for some neat effects.

Mike McAfee
05-10-2010, 2:33 PM
John, there are movie clips of the texturing tool in action on the Sorby website! Neat stuff!

Great looking bowl Mike and I too dig the texture work!

MMc

David E Keller
05-10-2010, 2:54 PM
Looks great. I love the texturing. If you try another like this, I might consider torching the textured surface just to add a color contrast... Just a thought.

alex carey
05-10-2010, 2:54 PM
The Rim/texturing definitely make this piece, is there a big learning curve on texturing or does it come easy?

Mike Minto
05-10-2010, 3:01 PM
The Rim/texturing definitely make this piece, is there a big learning curve on texturing or does it come easy?

Alex, I found it to be pretty easy to do - at least, using the Sorby tool I have. I've only tried to texture 5 pieces, and 3 of them came out fine. I think a big part of it is making sure the wood will take the texture well - cherry and hard maple seem to do well, but my attempt with walnut was a failure. Direct, light touch with the first cut, then repeat, letting the teeth of the cutter catch the previous grooves.

GLENN THOMAS
05-10-2010, 7:13 PM
Mike,

Nice bowl. I really like wide rims on bowls, the wide rims seem to give them a masculine feel and thinner ones seem to somewhat dainty sometimes. Besides that there are just so many possibilities for doing something with them.

As I was looking at the close up pictures I noticed something that my tiny little pea brain and my eyes can't figure out. My eyes tell me each spiral is continuous from the edge to the center. My brain tells me this won't work because the larger circumference on the outside will have more room for more spirals than the smaller circumference towards the middle. I'm thinking that somewhere in the middle there has to be a transition but I don't see it. Im going to have to go home and try it before I go nuts trying to figure it out.

GT

Curt Fuller
05-10-2010, 8:37 PM
Wow Mike, that's one your best IMHO. I love the thick walls and the texturing. Very nice!

Mike Minto
05-10-2010, 9:07 PM
Mike,

My brain tells me this won't work because the larger circumference on the outside will have more room for more spirals than the smaller circumference towards the middle.

GT

Glenn, I don't know, but I'm trying to think of it like this: if one drew 'radii' from the center of the form to the outside, it would be a 'one-to-one'; then, if the center of the bowl were rotated, that would cause the spiralling effect, with the same number of points of attachment at the inner and outer ends. Think? :confused:

alex carey
05-10-2010, 9:07 PM
does it have to do with hard vs soft wood?

Mike Minto
05-10-2010, 9:25 PM
does it have to do with hard vs soft wood?

For me, the harder woods have worked best - so far; experience will tell!

Mark Burge
05-11-2010, 6:10 PM
Mike, I really like this bowl. I've always liked larger rims on bowls. I've been thinking of trying some texturing and am watching for something used to come up on ebay. This nice piece makes me want to try harder.

Rob Cunningham
05-12-2010, 1:32 PM
Nice looking bowl Mike.
I sometimes get "texture" like that using my skew chisel on spindle work :eek:

Jeff Luedloff
05-13-2010, 7:03 AM
Very nice bowl Mike, I like your design with the textured rim.