PDA

View Full Version : Pile of Presses

Jim Underwood
05-09-2010, 10:19 PM
I got an order for these a few weeks back, and I'm just now finishing them up...

These are cold seam presses for quilters. You could use your fingernails to press the seam but why do that when you can use one of these?

Of course the ones in front are still in process, but I wanted to get a picture of the shapes before I forgot and they went away. I've forgotten to take pix of these before, and all that experimentation data was gone... It's great spindle practice which lends itself to trying new shapes.

Thomas Canfield
05-09-2010, 10:45 PM
They look great. I may have to borrow your style and make some for my wife and her quilting friends. Great post.

John Keeton
05-10-2010, 6:31 AM
Nice, Jim! They look to be fairly small or the stitching on the background is large. What are the dimensions?

Steve Schlumpf
05-10-2010, 8:30 AM
Wow - that's a lot of turning! Would like to see a photo of just one so we can check out the detail work.

Nice variety of styles! I am sure your customer will be thrilled with all of these!

Mike Willeson
05-10-2010, 8:52 AM
Looks great Jim!

Dimensions would be great and how about a couple of profile shots to see the end that does the pressing. My MIL and daughter like to quilt so these would be great little gifts.

Jim Underwood
05-10-2010, 9:37 AM
The 5/8" x 5/8" blank starts out about 6-7 inches long. I stick the press end in a chuck about an inch or so, and the tail in the live center. First turn a 5/8-3/4" cove for a couple fingers, and then detail the handle down to the tailstock end. Move the tailstock out of the way and finish off the end.

Draw a line where you want to cut the press end, and take it to the bandsaw. I just eyeball a fair curve and go for it. Make sure to look at the end grain before you draw your lines so that your grain lines run as up and down as possible, giving the most durable surface for the press end.

Then just take it to an edgesander and refine the lines til you have what you want. I don't think the shape matters so much as you think, just as long as you have a flat surface to press the seams.

Bernie Weishapl
05-10-2010, 9:41 AM
Those are really nice Jim. Customer should be extremely happy with those.

Jim Underwood
05-10-2010, 11:19 AM
Well here's a question I hope isn't moderated...

How much would you charge to make these given that the simple shapes take abou 10 minutes and the more detailed shapes take about 30 minutes?

John Keeton
05-10-2010, 12:25 PM
Jim, I have yet to sell my turnings, and I have given the question of price much thought. There have been several threads on value, and it seems to vary regionally - sometimes quite a bit.

Just thinking through this.......

When a piece does not require an "artistic inspiration" (whatever that is!:confused:), or includes expensive or rare wood, one should consider a value based on time and machinery. I would hope that one could make $25 - $45/hour as a combined rate.

You probably are underestimating your time, in that you need to procure the stock, rip it to size, and then you have the finishing aspect, the act of selling, etc. There is much more that goes into this than the actual spindle turning.

As for moderated, this probably would end up in Classifieds I guess, except it is buried in the middle of another type of thread????

All that said, it probably comes down to a gut feeling, and I would think that they should bring $15 - $25 each, but I honestly have no idea!!

Jim Underwood
05-10-2010, 1:01 PM
You are absolutely correct in that there's a lot more time in it than just the turning. As you point out, there's the stock prep, but even after turning you have bandsaw and edgesander work to shape the press end, not to mention hand sanding to at least 320 so the finish will look nice.

Eugen Schlaak, who turned me on to this item, said he has to make them in batches of 100 to make any money on them. And, as I recall, his simply didn't have this level detail on them.

I'm taking a beating on these at $5 each, eh?:(

Of course the typical response from store owners is; "You can't make money on crafts."

Paul Douglass
05-10-2010, 10:21 PM
Won't sell at $5 but ask $19.98 and you will sell a bunch.

Jim Underwood
05-11-2010, 8:33 AM
I dunno bout that... The store owner has sold every one I've made at $7...

Paul Douglass
05-11-2010, 10:21 AM
That was a good "introductory" price. I just think you time is worth more than that.

John Keeton
05-11-2010, 11:30 AM
Jim, sounds like you are "wholesaling" them at $5, and the store is retailing them at $7. I think part of the equation here may be the attitude of the store owner, and the type of inventory he has on hand.

If he is using these as a "great deal" for his customers, then he is getting all of the "PR" for passing on a great deal, plus making a 40% profit markup. I think you are getting the short end!

Matt Hutchinson
05-11-2010, 1:18 PM
Nice work Jim! Now that the store's customers are looking for them, have you considered making two lines, one with simple handles and one with fancier handles like what you have pictured? It's just a thought, but if the simpler ones were still $5 and the fancy ones were $10, then maybe you could make a good profit?

Anywho, those are very nice!

Hutch

P.S. Also, the quilting/sewing enthusiasts seem to have deep pockets. I know soooo many men whose wives are spending BIG $$$ on sewing and quilting stuff.

John Keeton
05-11-2010, 2:19 PM
Also, the quilting/sewing enthusiasts seem to have deep pockets. I know soooo many men whose wives are spending BIG $$$ on sewing and quilting stuff.YES THEY ARE, HUTCH!!!!:eek: I know of what I speak!! Ms. Keeton's fabric stash makes my wood stash look like a pile of kinlin'.