PDA

View Full Version : Turner Interview Nominees solicited.

Ken Fitzgerald
05-09-2010, 9:26 PM
Steve Schlumpf and I had been discussing reviving the SMC turner interviews again as a way to grow a little feeling of community here. Thus Steve took on the challenge and he suggested Wally Dickerman would make a great 1st interview for the revival. I agreed. Wally agreed to do it and thus this recent interview. Wally's interview stands out in my mind as one of the best I've seen here.

Steve has generously agreed to take on the challenge and I agreed to share the load with him to revive the turner interviews.

So here's what we are asking.

Use this thread to post the name of a SMC turner you would like to nominate for an interview.

Don't nominate yourself............ Please!

Keep in mind.....some folks are a little conservative and don't want to post their personal information on the internet. That is their right and we need to respect it. Thus.....some people may be nominated and choose to not do the interview. We need to respect their right and wishes.

As people are nominated, I will keep a running list in this posting. As people are interviewed, I will remove their names from this list so the list will contain only nominees.

What say ye?

Nominate someone today!

Suggested Nominees:

John Keeton
Toney Robertson
Dominic Greco
Leo Van Der Loo
David Walser
Jeff Nicol
Jim Shaver
William Bolen
Richard Madison

Bernie Weishapl
05-09-2010, 9:49 PM
Hey Ken how about Mr. John Keeton?

Cathy Schaewe
05-09-2010, 9:57 PM
Before I even read Bernie's post, I was going to suggest Mr. Keeton, Esq. ...:cool:

Richard Madison
05-09-2010, 10:20 PM
Ken, Were there ever, and/or are there now guidelines or qualifications for subjects selected for interview?

Curt Fuller
05-09-2010, 10:26 PM
I've always enjoyed seeing Toney Robertson's work. I'd like to know more about the guy behind it.

Ken Fitzgerald
05-09-2010, 10:31 PM
Richard,

I don't remember any qualifications other than someone or a group of the turners here indicated they wanted to know more about them.

I am not a turner of any great skill but even I got interviewed.

Ken Fitzgerald
05-09-2010, 10:34 PM
One more thing to think about.

To keep the interviews from being too much of a burden for Steve and to keep it from becoming a boring regularity, Steve and I discussed only having 1 or maybe 2 interviews per month.

Too many....too quickly....we could run out of nominees or it could just become boring....if you understand what I am trying to communicate.

And it could become too much work for Steve.

Larry Marley
05-10-2010, 12:29 AM
I thought of a lot of people who have already been interviewed.

John Keeton has been a major fixture since he entered the vortex, and his work is beautiful. He gets my vote.

Kevin J Lalonde
05-10-2010, 8:41 AM
John Keeton, JD

Aaron Wingert
05-10-2010, 8:51 AM
Bernie W would be a good one...He contributes a lot to the group and does some nice work. I have to admit that I thought of John K as soon as I read this. :D

Jim Shaver, Oakville Ont
05-10-2010, 8:57 AM
Dominic Greco

Ken Fitzgerald
05-10-2010, 9:05 AM
Actually.....Bernie has already been interviewed and I agree an incredible resource and just a nice guy!

Here' Bernie's interview: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=38804

John Keeton
05-10-2010, 9:16 AM
Guys, while I humbly appreciate the suggestions that I be interviewed, my journey on this side has been relatively short and shared "blow by blow" as it happened. I am not sure an interview with me would provide much additional information as relates to woodturning.

There seem to be many others that come to mind that might have more to offer - perhaps Leo Van Der Loo? I also think an interview of Toney Robertson would be interesting.

Just some thoughts.

Brian Brown
05-10-2010, 9:47 AM
Firstly, I am really glad to see the interviews back. I agree that it really creates a feeling of community. I would also like to see interviews with the long-time turners, as well as newer turners like John Keeton. I want to know where he gets all his time.

I would also suggest David Walser. I especially want to know why "the blue line is to aid in grain alignment" (see David's pen tutorial post). We can also include the younguns, and ladies.

Prashun Patel
05-10-2010, 9:58 AM
I just hope this kind of nomination process doesn't hurt the feelings of a lot of the other turners here. It's not just the quality of the work - but the passion of the woodworker that really interests me. To that end, I think I'd enjoy seeing an interview with any of the regular posters here...

No offense meant to the Honorable John Keeton!

Mike Svoma
05-10-2010, 10:47 AM
Already sent this in a PM, but here goes......... I nominate Jeff Nicol.

Tony Greenway
05-10-2010, 11:51 AM
3 people come to my mind for an interview; Leo Van Der Loo, Jeff Nicol, and Reed Gray. All of these guys have been a real asset to this hobby/profession/addiction.

Ken Fitzgerald
05-10-2010, 1:03 PM
Reed Gray has already been interviewed: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=38802

Jim Shaver, Oakville Ont
05-10-2010, 1:23 PM
Leo Van Der Loo is a great guy..... :cool: he's in London and I have met him a few times..

Allen Neighbors
05-10-2010, 1:26 PM
I would also suggest David Walser. I especially want to know why "the blue line is to aid in grain alignment" (see David's pen tutorial post). We can also include the younguns, and ladies.

The "blue line" could be pink or black, or white or fushia....:D
It's just so you get the pen's top and bottom parts aligned correctly with the grain. (Put the lined pieces together on the pen mandrel, after you saw them in two)

Edit: Oh yeah!! I'd love to read an interview with Jim Shaver. Nicest pens in Canada!!

Mike Minto
05-10-2010, 1:53 PM
I second John Keeton, and nominate William Bolen.

Jim Shaver, Oakville Ont
05-10-2010, 4:40 PM
Shhhhhhhhhhhhhh Allan!:eek:;)

charlie knighton
05-10-2010, 7:34 PM
Richard Madison, i enjoyed his Lost my Marble piece, and he does chunck wood turning also

Richard Madison
05-10-2010, 8:42 PM
Wow, thanks Charlie. I appreciate your thinking of me, but I'm really not very interesting (yawn). Has Neal Addy been interviewed yet? He's a multi-talented fellow with an excellent and very helpful website.

Ken Fitzgerald
05-10-2010, 8:58 PM
Neal, I am pretty sure, was interviewed several years ago.

Neal is an extremely talented and helpful turner!

Here's Neal's interview: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=62960

Ron Lynch
05-10-2010, 9:08 PM
I vote for Leo, his work is always interesting and he has 4 names, can't beat that.

Maylon Harvey
05-10-2010, 9:26 PM
I'd like to see both Leo Van Der Loo and Jeff Nicol intervied. They both always seem like they have a lot to offer on here.

George Morris
05-10-2010, 9:28 PM
Leo and Jeff good choices!

Karl Card
05-10-2010, 10:04 PM
I have to say John Keeton. Good work, good personality and what I really noticed was very personable. In some ways I hate to mention somebody because everybody I have come in contact with on here is very nice, very helpful and I wished I could work with most because I am sure it would be a learning experience...

I will quit rambling now...lol

Jeff Nicol
05-11-2010, 6:35 AM
Thanks to all who have thrown my name into the hat! I always have lots to say and enjoy all of the questions from everyone!

I will toss my vote to Leo also, we don't always see eye to eye, but the man has seen more of life than I have and I believe he has lots of great stories to tell. It looks like he has a great shop and lots of toys, errrr....TOOLS!!!

Thanks again,

Jeff

Joseph M Lary
05-11-2010, 8:29 AM
Leo Van Der Loo & Jeff Nicol ,they seem to have a lot of talent and good information & knowlege .they have helped me alot with there postings.

Roland Martin
05-11-2010, 3:21 PM
Jeff Nicol & Leo Van Der Loo would be great interviews in my book. To tell you the truth, I think most anybody in this forum would be interesting interviews. With all this combined talent, how could any interview be boring.

Ted Okolichany
05-11-2010, 8:11 PM
I would like to nominate Jack Mincey. Jack is a very talented turner. Jack is moving up the professional turning ladder by being invited to display his turning in the Bascom Gallery in Highlands, N.C. this Fall. He also is a member of my club, The Western N.C. Woodturners in Cashiers, NC. He also does many club demos. He is a school shop teacher and his bought young students into the woodturning hobby.

Respectfully Submitted,

Ted Okolichany
President Western N.C. Woodturner