PDA

View Full Version : Anybody using a first generation knuckle plane? & ID question.

Adam Woznicki
05-09-2010, 8:52 PM
Is anybody using a first generation Stanley knuckle plane? I know it's not as good as the later versions but how does it stand on its own?

Second question, is this really a #18? It has an adjustable mouth, but no adjustment lever. (and no hole for one)
It does say Stanley and pat date on the cap.

This is going to take some time to clean up, but considering I only paid $5 for this and a 220 it's at least cheap fun if nothing else. The knuckle blade was toast, so they'll have to share the 220's blade for now.

Greg Wease
05-10-2010, 1:25 AM
According to the Type Study in John Walter's book, the #18 was introduced in 1888 but the lateral lever wasn't added until 1894 (Type 3). Looks like you have either a Type 1 (3 patent dates on the lateral lever) or Type 2 (4 patent dates) plane. I think you got a pretty good deal!

Jim Koepke
05-10-2010, 2:06 AM
According to the Type Study in John Walter's book, the #18 was introduced in 1888 but the lateral lever wasn't added until 1894 (Type 3). Looks like you have either a Type 1 (3 patent dates on the lateral lever) or Type 2 (4 patent dates) plane. I think you got a pretty good deal!

I think Greg means the mouth adjustment lever was introduced in 1894.

The lateral lever if it is a type 1 will have the end bent up to engage the blade. Later, type 2 and on, it was changed to a disk. I had one of the type 1 #18s. It worked OK, but I liked my low angle block planes better and sold it and the #9-1/2.

My feeling was the early type knuckle cap made blade adjustment a bit fidgety due to having to push the cap into place when closing it after the blade adjustment. To my way of thinking, the adjusters on the #220 and LA block planes are also better.

jim

Adam Woznicki
05-10-2010, 9:04 AM
Thanks for the info guys. The lateral lever has 4 patent dates and the disk so that makes it a type 2 made between 1888-1894. Definitely my oldest plane.:D

Its sitting in the electrolysis right now. Cant wait.