PDA

View Full Version : Anybody try JackClamps?

Greg Hines, MD
05-09-2010, 8:34 PM
I had seen these things several months ago, and thought I would share this video from their website. They seem rather interesting, and not nearly as flimsy as they appear.

http://www.jackclamp.com/howto.html

Has anyone tried them? Anyone own them?

Doc

Jason White
05-10-2010, 12:28 PM
Very interesting! I can see a lot of potential uses for these, especially in building and remodeling.

Jason

I had seen these things several months ago, and thought I would share this video from their website. They seem rather interesting, and not nearly as flimsy as they appear.

http://www.jackclamp.com/howto.html

Has anyone tried them? Anyone own them?

Doc

Will Blick
05-10-2010, 11:07 PM
I never used one, but thanks for the link...

The inginuity of some people amaze me.
I hope he is successful, he deserves it...

The only two drawbacks as I see it are minimal clamping pressure and cost, $50 each.. for professionals, this is peanuts, for the avg. hobbiest who waits for Bessey K bodies to be reduced in price to $15 - 20 each... that is the big market...

thanks for the link

Mark Major
05-11-2010, 7:42 AM
Hi Doc; I have a pair of clamps like that, they aren't jackclamps but are pretty much identical in function to them and look quite similar; just a larger version. Don't remember the brand of them, but they are some no-name off shore thingys. I will say I find them very useful as far as the jacking function goes. Mine came with a telescoping rod that attaches to them that gives them IIRC 102" of reach. Don't have any idea how good their clamping pressure is since I've never really used them for clamping but each of them are rated for 80 kg. jacking (when used with the telescoping rods)...so about 200 lbs. I'm not sure by how much, but the capacity when used without the rods, as would be similar to the Jackclamps, is considerably more than 200 lbs. Their great for supporting upper cabinets for mounting to the wall and, because the top pad can be articulated on mine, make a good "third hand" for supporting things like long lengths of crown molding and the like. Guess that part isn't too helpful in appraising the Jackclamps since they don't have the same capacity as mine. But, like you pointed out with the Jackclamps, they look kind of flimsy but are actually quite robust. Regards, Mark.