PDA

View Full Version : foil help please

Cindy Rhoades
05-09-2010, 8:28 PM
I am trying to engrave a crest on some candle holders the crest is small about 1" x 1 1/2" but the manufacturer of of candle holders has put a frosted "glaze" over the glass. The glass will not engrave the frosty white so I was going to try color fill well that didn't work detail very small to remove mask. I have some foil samples that I have not tried yet. The instructions on how to apply/laser the foil is kind of confusing, do I need to put a mask over the foild and laser through the mask or what I am ready to pull my hair out on this one. Any words of wisdom would be most appreciated.

Mike Null
05-10-2010, 12:34 AM
I'm not exactly clear on what you want to do but I don't think foil will provide any durability for this job.

Cindy Rhoades
05-10-2010, 6:47 AM
I am just wanting the crest to stand out a little bit because without anything it is not really noticeable. I have tried thermark/cermark but I have to laser twice once to remove the frosted film and the second to try to get the cermak to adhere but that didn't work so well.

Joe Pelonio
05-10-2010, 7:51 AM
You have to vector cut the foil, then remove the background (weed). With tiny detail it will be a chore, and not hold up well. Try 2-3 passes to go deeper, and see if that shows up, if not, use a paint made for glass on the color fill.

Another trick is to engrave a circle larger than the crest thru a mask. Then paint the circle, without moving the material in the laser, and when the paint has dried, engrave the crest in reverse (engrave the background of the circle, leaving the crest in color.