PDA

View Full Version : Looking for help on problem with Woodpecker PRL original version

Jim O'Dell
05-09-2010, 8:24 PM
I had noticed that my PRL was getting hard to crank up and down the last few times I used it, but not so hard it made me stop. Yesterday when routing the edges of the drawer boxes for the under extension table cabinet, I had to fight to get it up and down. Took it out, cleaned all the dust off with an air hose, then lubed with penetrating lube. Hasn't really helped. adjusted the chain tighter, made it worse, then looser-back to where I started. I let some of the penetration lube sit over night...still hard to turn.
I know this happens to mechanicals in a dusty environment. Any one have any ideas on what to do to free it up? I also emailed Woodpecker to see if they can point me the right direction. Thanks! Jim.

J. Greg Jones
05-10-2010, 6:17 AM
I don't know if this is any help, but mine was hard to crank when I bought it new years ago. The issue was that the threads on the chain-driven lift were not synchronized. Once they were synced properly, I've not had a problem with it. I've noticed this in the instructions that I have for the lift:

"Avoid removing chain. If chain removal becomes necessary, it is critically
important that neither lift screw be rotated while chain is off. Un-synchronized
rotation of either lift screw will throw the router out of parallel with plate."

Perhaps your chain jumped a cog on one of the screws, causing the router to be out of parallel with the plate, thus harder to crank.

Thomas Williams
05-10-2010, 8:44 AM
Is there any obstructions keeping the router from moving? Cord caught or something like that? I am sure the folks at Woodpecker will be able to help. They have been very helpful in my dealings with them.

Jim O'Dell
05-10-2010, 9:47 AM
Thanks guys. The chain isn't loose enough to pop a gear. There was some very fine dust on the threads, and that's why I used compressed air to clean them off first. I'm thinking this has worked it's way down into the threaded mechanism. Don't want to go pulling things apart until I have an idea of what I'm getting into. :eek: I'm thinking Woodpecker will have some info in my email when I get home tonight. No obstructions, cord has plenty of slack to pull lift out of table to work on. Jim.

glenn bradley
05-10-2010, 12:29 PM
Jim, the PRL's are guaranteed for life. Give Woodpecker a call. I had a sluggish spot as I turned the crank on my PRL original. They had me do something that was so minor I don't even recall what it was (an allen wrench was involved) and it fixed me right up. They know their products and are a good bunch to deal with.

P.s. I have only done annual maintenance on mine; blow the dust off everything, raise the carriage all the way, spray some dry lube on the threaded shafts and lower the carriage, all done.

Chris Padilla
05-10-2010, 7:22 PM
Mine was fixed by simply cleaning threads and relubricating using a fav bicycle chain lube called White Lightning (blue bottle...Clean Ride...they have 3 diff versions). This lube doesn't attract sawdust as much as a more oily lubricant might. However, you might have a different problem. Do you have the 16 tpi coarse thread or 32 tpi fine thread lifts? Mine is the 32 tpi.

Tom Davis
05-11-2010, 6:27 AM
Jim:

I had the same issue for years - I would clean the threads, chain, etc. per the instructions and this would help but the problem would soon return. WP replaced the "brake" assembly with a new style but eventually I said the heck with it and sent it back to WP. About 4 days later they returned it and it works great. There was no charge to me except for freight one way.

Tom

Peter Rivlin
05-12-2010, 11:08 PM
I had the same problem with mine. The issue is a bushing in the crank mechanism that swells. If you call Woodpeckers they will send you a retrofit kit that should fix the problem. They guarantee the product for life and said that if this did not fix the problem I could send it in for repair. The kit fixed the problem and was simple to install.

PR

Dan Galcik
05-13-2010, 6:57 AM
My PRL did the same. I called Woodpecker and they suggested the clamp on the router was too tight. They said it causes binding of the linkage and that loosening the clamp slightly could fix my problem. It sure did. Now I can raise and lower the router without any strain at all. I've always had trouble with directions like "Do not over tighten." I suppose I'm a neanderthal at heart.

Jim O'Dell
05-13-2010, 9:26 AM
I did finally get an email from Woodpecker yesterday with a procedure on what to do. It sounds like there are several things that could cause this symptom. Peter, I'll read Woodpecker's instructions a little closer this weekend, but I don't think it said anything about a bushing, so that's good information to hear to add to the list.
Thanks for the info guys! Jim.

Jim O'Dell
05-25-2010, 2:51 PM
Came back from lunch to a message to call Woodpecker to give them my return address. Not sure how they got the work number...I don't remember giving it to them.:confused: Funny thing, I stuck a return address label on the underside of the plate...kind of like the warranty sticker they put under there just in case the lift got separated from the letter explaining the problem.:p Oh well, it will be back on it's way home today or tomorrow. Jim.

Jim O'Dell
05-28-2010, 9:58 PM
Just to let you all know, I got my PRL back from Woodpeckers today. All I can say is WOW!!!!! I can't believe how smooth it turns!! I'll have to email them and ask if they know what had to be done to get it back in proper working condition. Maybe that will help me keep it that way. Jim.

Todd Hyman
05-29-2010, 10:08 AM
Just to let you all know, I got my PRL back from Woodpeckers today. All I can say is WOW!!!!! I can't believe how smooth it turns!! I'll have to email them and ask if they know what had to be done to get it back in proper working condition. Maybe that will help me keep it that way. Jim.

Congrats Jim. Please let us know what you find out.