PDA

View Full Version : Gluing onto Sealed (Bullseye) wood

Dennis Lopeman
05-09-2010, 8:05 PM
Can I glue over the wood that I have already sealed with Bullseye? I can of course sand the area first. I'm making a box (I didn't complete it for MothersDay!) and decided I want to glue legs on it to off set the size of the lid.

TIA

Steve Schoene
05-09-2010, 8:18 PM
The strength of the glue bons will be significantly reduced. That said, the relatively low stresses of those legs may let such a joint survive. A small screw into the bottom of the chest, with flat head recessed into the leg bottom, could work wonders, of course.

Dennis Lopeman
05-09-2010, 10:11 PM
I should have mentioned that it's a SMALL box... like a keepsake or humidor... There not going to be anyone sitting on it or anything! :)

Joe Chritz
05-10-2010, 11:26 AM
Polyurethane glue, epoxy, Hot melt poly or melamine glue will do much better than yellow PVA glue. You won't have the strength of a raw wood to wood bond.

Joe

Dennis Lopeman
05-10-2010, 11:51 AM
Even if I sand it down a good bit? How deep does the Sealer penetrate?

Steve Schoene
05-10-2010, 10:35 PM
If you sand off essentially all the shellac, so you are basically sanding the bare wood, you will get close to a full strength bond, almost certainly strong enough for your application.

Prashun Patel
05-11-2010, 3:32 PM
I think you can save yrself a lot of work by using a little dab of epoxy on each foot.