PDA

View Full Version : Baseball - Perfect game today

Joe Pelonio
05-09-2010, 6:10 PM
I must say, it does give one a good feeling to watch Dallas Braden hugging his grandmother after throwing a perfect game for the A's on Mother's Day.

Only the 19th perfect game in history.

We have the baseball package and were able to watch the last few innings, but I'm sure it will be a highlight on Sportscenter.

Jason Roehl
05-09-2010, 6:30 PM
Okay, so here's a little mental debate I've had with myself for many years.

A "perfect" game is a pitcher facing 27 batters.

So if there were a category beyond that--"super-perfect", if you will--would that be a pitcher throwing only 27 pitches to 27 batters (obviously all the batters would fly-, line- or ground-out on their first pitch), or throwing 81 strikes to 27 batters?

The first case would certainly be the absolutely quickest retiring of all the batters, but rely mainly on the fielding abilities of the pitcher's team. While getting his first pitch hit every time is probably not the mark of a good pitcher, the pitches would have to be good enough that the hits could be fielded and not just blasted out of the park.

The second case would then be entirely in the hands of the pitcher--3 strikes to each batter. And, one could even debate this one further into whether they should be only called strikes or if swinging strikes or fouls are allowed. I can't see a pitcher ever catching 27 straight batters looking, but I suppose if the game of baseball is played long enough...

Just a little peek into the meanderings of my mind. You can go back to your regularly scheduled thread now. Congrats to the pitcher.

scott spencer
05-09-2010, 7:22 PM
That definitely would have been a nice moment to catch. Hats off to the young man.

Joe Pelonio
05-09-2010, 7:32 PM
Okay, so here's a little mental debate I've had with myself for many years.

A "perfect" game is a pitcher facing 27 batters.

So if there were a category beyond that--"super-perfect", if you will--would that be a pitcher throwing only 27 pitches to 27 batters (obviously all the batters would fly-, line- or ground-out on their first pitch), or throwing 81 strikes to 27 batters?

I did see something close to that when I was a kid. My father was manager of a teen team playing in San Bruno, CA and I was the bat boy. The pitcher, Wally Bunker, struck out every batter on 3 pitches, all fastballs (my father wouldn't let him throw curves). After 7 innings the other team gave up and quit. I still have the scorebook in a box somewhere around here. Bunker ended up signing with Baltimore and made rookie of the year, 19-5 record. He played with Lou Pinella there. After 5-6 years he blew out his arm and was out of baseball.

Rick Moyer
05-09-2010, 8:43 PM
Actually a perfect game is no hits and no walks. A pitcher could give up several walks and get double plays and still face only 27 batters, but it would not be a perfect game, just a no-hitter.