PDA

View Full Version : It's done!

Eric Hartunian
05-09-2010, 4:29 PM
Well, I finally finished the armoire. This was supposed to be done a LONG time ago. I had to finish before I go to Afghanistan in a couple weeks, so that was a good impetus to get back to it. Here is the link to the early build thread. I got too busy to continue, so here a re a couple finished pics.

Feel free to comment, and thanks for looking.

Eric
http://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=119047

Casey Gooding
05-09-2010, 4:43 PM
Nice!! I really like the upper doors.

Bruce Page
05-09-2010, 5:11 PM
Eric, it turned out beautifully!

Stay safe over there!!!

Gil Knowles
05-09-2010, 5:19 PM
Eric
Very, very nice work. It must have been a lot of work.
What did you use for a finish?

Gil

harry strasil
05-09-2010, 5:21 PM
Beautiful Job. Stay well, watch your 6 and wear your protective gear. And Thank You for serving our country and us old vets who are too old to hump it any more. God Bless and keep all our service people everywhere.

Thomas Kila
05-09-2010, 5:27 PM
Amen, Jr.! Come back safe so you can make an equally beautiful, matching lowboy...

Steve Beadle
05-09-2010, 5:37 PM
That's an instant (well, for however long it took to make!) heirloom, Eric! I made a similar armoire for my youngest daughter a few years back, and she treasures it.
I was wondering what's behind the doors? The armoire I made had three more full-width drawers and an open shelf at the top. The armoire was for clothes. What is the purpose of the one you made?
Great job!
Steve

Jim Koepke
05-09-2010, 5:44 PM
Great work. I like the way the grain seems to flow both vertically and horizontally.

God bless and stay safe.

jim

David Nelson1
05-09-2010, 5:45 PM
Wow, outstanding work. I was especially impressed looking around your work area. Thanks for sharing Godspeed in Afghanistan ole man.

Well, I finally finished the armoire. This was supposed to be done a LONG time ago. I had to finish before I go to Afghanistan in a couple weeks, so that was a good impetus to get back to it. Here is the link to the early build thread. I got too busy to continue, so here a re a couple finished pics.

Feel free to comment, and thanks for looking.

Eric
http://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=119047

Matt Lau
05-09-2010, 6:03 PM
That'll be a beautiful heirloom for your future grandchildren to brag about.

Roy Wall
05-09-2010, 9:01 PM
Eric -

That is excellent my man -- beautiful work! The WOOD is really beautiful.

Our Prayers are with you (and all of our Service Men & Women) - thank you is not enough.......but we remember and pray for you often!!

See you back at the CREEK SOON!

Jon Toebbe
05-09-2010, 10:01 PM
Splendid work! The grain matching across the drawer fronts looks very sharp, and those are some awful neat rows of dovetails showing their "pearly whites" (or is it poplar? :) ).

I'll also echo what others have said: stay safe, watch out for your comrades, and know that our thoughts and prayers are with you. You're helping to give a thin sliver of hope to a people who have seen nothing but bloodshed and misery most of their lives. In that you represent the very best of our American ideals. Godspeed!

Frederick Gross
05-09-2010, 10:06 PM
I wish you fair winds and following seas. Thank you for your service.

Dave Anderson NH
05-10-2010, 11:02 AM
Nicely done Eric. I particularly like the coloring and the classic styling.

As the others have said, watch yourself and be safe for your deployment. Like Junior said us old farts have been there and still bear the scars.

Paul Incognito
05-10-2010, 12:37 PM
And a safe return.
PI

James Owen
05-10-2010, 1:14 PM
Beautiful work!!

Stay safe, and thanks for your service!

Eric Hartunian
05-10-2010, 8:41 PM
Thanks for the comments and the well-wishes.
This project was lots of fun, but it was a challenge to say the least. Mainly because of the wood. The mahogany was a bear due to the ever-reversing grain. The secondary wood is mostly poplar, except the drawer sides, which are maple. The finish is shellac. I didn't want an oil finish because the oil smell seems to take forever to go away, and this is for clothes storage. Behind the doors are two simple shelves. I suppose I could always take those out and put a tv in there, but I don't think that will happen anytime soon. The neat thing about this is that it is two-pieces. The top rests inside that waist molding, so it is a bit easier to move around (this thing is HEAVY).
I did stick to mostly hand tools for this. I wanted to go 100% hand tools, but I had some challenges with my plow plane, so I had to use a router table for the grooves for the panels on the doors. Otherwise, all the stock prep, joinery, and moulding was a hand tool endeavor.

Thanks again,

Eric

Steve Branam
05-11-2010, 5:58 PM
That's gorgeous, just the kind of work I'd like to do!

Best wishes for a safe tour, and looking forward to seeing your projects when you return.

Roger Newby
05-11-2010, 6:16 PM
Tremendous job Eric. Thanks for your service and CYA while your over there. We wanna see more projects when you get back

Brian Kincaid
05-12-2010, 10:08 AM
First thank you for serving our country.

I'd like to throw a question out about the feet. I like them, but should the tails be showing in the front or should they be on the side of the piece?

Don't get me wrong it does not detract at all from the piece I was just curious if there was a convention.

-Brian

George Clark
05-12-2010, 10:31 AM
Eric,

An absolutely beautiful project.

Stay safe and thank you and your fellow Servicemen for your sacrifices for the rest of us. God Bless you all!

George

Jackie Outten
05-12-2010, 1:23 PM
Eric,

You did a beautiful job on the armoire.

Send me a PM when you get to Afghanistan. Keith and I run the Freedom Pens Project and we would be happy to send some handcrafted writing pens to you and your unit.

Be safe.

Jackie Outten

Eric Hartunian
05-12-2010, 5:54 PM
First thank you for serving our country.

I'd like to throw a question out about the feet. I like them, but should the tails be showing in the front or should they be on the side of the piece?

Don't get me wrong it does not detract at all from the piece I was just curious if there was a convention.

-Brian

I have no idea what "right" is with reference to the feet. They are not under any kind of lateral load, since the piece just sits there. So I am not sure it makes a difference. Any ideas?
Eric

Will Brauneis
05-13-2010, 5:20 AM
Beautiful work! Did you make the crown molding by hand?

Good luck over there and stay safe. Thanks for your service to our country!