PDA

View Full Version : walnut writing desk

Tim Mahoney
05-09-2010, 4:01 PM
I wanted a small writing desk that could also be used for my laptop. I designed this piece to match the style of my rocking chairs. I plan on making a swivel office chair to match. The top center section folds back to allow my laptop to sit down at the correct height. I can fold the laptop up and bring the center top back over for a nice clean look and writing area without alot of clutter. The drawer handles are shaped bloodwood.

John A. Callaway
05-09-2010, 4:10 PM
Gorgeous .... Really nice work.

Abi Parris
05-09-2010, 4:10 PM
Beautiful piece with thoughtful design. Well done!

Jon Lanier
05-09-2010, 4:24 PM
oh... I like that. Good idea for a lap top. :)

Zach England
05-09-2010, 5:04 PM
Amazing photography.

Tim Mahoney
05-09-2010, 5:07 PM
I can't take credit for the photography. I took the desk to a professional and had a lot of fun watching her make this piece stand out. I'll stick with the woodworking. I needed some good pics for my website.

Bruce Page
05-09-2010, 5:14 PM
Extremely classy!

Joe Shinall
05-09-2010, 8:21 PM
I've said it many times on here and I'll say it again on this piece.

So simple and elegant but so perfectly executed.

Very nice, love seeing pieces like this.

Peter Aeschliman
05-09-2010, 8:36 PM
Okay, so you took it to a professional photographer. So that must mean you have more than 3 pictures! Don't hold out on us here!!!

Jeff Monson
05-09-2010, 9:02 PM
Wow Tim, that is a beatiful desk, great design!!!! Also the pics are superb.

gary Zimmel
05-09-2010, 9:36 PM
Beautiful job on one classy looking desk Tim.

Baxter Smith
05-09-2010, 9:50 PM
Beautiful desk!

John Keeton
05-10-2010, 7:13 AM
Tim, I love the design of this piece. The lines flow effortlessly, and you have achieved a very professional look. Nice color and finish, enhanced by the nice photography.

I am curious about the thought on the integral aprons on the ends. The grain appears that the ends of the desk were cut from one piece, or at least you have done a beautiful job of gluing up stock! Do you have any concerns that the expansion/contraction of the apron against the long grain of the stretcher could possibly crack the apron? There may be enough give to keep that from being an issue.

glenn bradley
05-10-2010, 12:38 PM
Beautiful piece. Great stance and clean lines.

P.s. I love walnut.

Tim Mahoney
05-10-2010, 3:13 PM
John,

The top end panel section of the legs ends is made of 3 pcs glued up and then glued to the legs, all from 6/4 material. I wanted all the grain to run in the same direction as the legs. The lower strechers are one pc. I use this same technique for my rocking chair headrests. I like to start with thicker material and then sculpt them into each other. I do have other pics I can post if anyone wants to see certain parts. I hope to start the matching chair in a couple weeks.

Mike Minto
05-11-2010, 10:25 AM
Truly elegant! That is a really wonderful desk.

Prashun Patel
05-11-2010, 10:31 AM
Really beautiful, Tim. +1 kudos on yr design sense.

Mark Valsi
05-13-2010, 11:36 AM
Great piece of work !

The design is sublime, and craftsmanship in the execution thereof is outstanding.

That is what most of us aspire to !!!

alex grams
05-13-2010, 12:12 PM
Very nice work. The design makes the piece exceptional. Very thoughtfully laid out and executed.

I am also impressed with your picture setup. The picture arrangement and backdrop help demonstrate the piece.

Stephen McGregor
05-13-2010, 2:27 PM
WOW, very impressive.

Joe A Faulkner
05-13-2010, 11:39 PM
I love the look of the vertical grain on the ends. I also like how the "interior" sides of the drawer cabinets extend below the drawer cabinet frames. The finish looks very elegant. This is truly a fine piece of furniture. Very nice job! Thanks for posting. More pics? You bet.

Tim Mahoney
05-16-2010, 9:28 PM
I am very happy to report that my desk was selected for judging at the Design in Wood competition in San Diego. I am very honored as I know just how talented those people are that display their work in this show. I'm sure there are many who apply and don't get accepted but produce some very good work.

Van Huskey
05-17-2010, 7:33 PM
Gorgeous, love the legs and stretcher.

Craig D Peltier
05-21-2010, 10:48 AM
One of the nicer pieces on here for sure.The pics really make it stand out too. Great job on the execution.

Hans Braul
05-21-2010, 4:00 PM
Oooooh - I like that! Nice proportions, beautifully made.

Very well done. Thanks for posting

Hans Braul

Tim Mahoney
06-12-2010, 8:24 PM
I'm happy to report that my desk won an Honorable Mention at the Design in Wood competition, San Diego. They presented the awards last night. All of the items were top notch. It is very inspiring looking at all the different types of craftsmanship. I have a long way to go. Something I didn't know is that it's an international competition. People from all over the US were represented. I've seen some nice things on this forum that would do good. I may try my hand at intarsia next. I have some really good pics but need to downsize them first to post.

Dave MacArthur
06-12-2010, 11:56 PM
Great job Tim! Congratulations! Folks were spot on with praise for the desk, and now you've got proof ;)

John Hart
06-13-2010, 7:49 AM
Wow. Do I ever need one of those!! Beautifully done.

Al Navas
06-13-2010, 11:01 AM
Sorry! Posted to the wrong thread!!!

Abi Parris
06-13-2010, 2:25 PM
Tim, congratulations!

Honorable Mention in a crowd much more diverse than you originally thought it to be is something to be proud of. :)

Tim Mahoney
08-06-2010, 10:18 PM
My desk won another award. The Orange County fair woodworking competition. The best part was learning that the judges were the 3 men who worked with Sam Maloof for the past 30+ years. They now own the business with Sam's widow and son. I'm sure they recognized some of the features. I used the same drawer construction that I saw in their workshop but was the only thing. I'm now teaching myself marquetry and having alot of fun. I'm in the process of making a jewelry box and finding out it takes longer than making a rocking chair............................