PDA

View Full Version : Miter clamp for picture frames

Darrin Davis
05-09-2010, 10:28 AM
I need to make some picture frames and would like to use the method shown below. I can get the corner fasteners at many places but I cannot find the clamp pictured below. It looks like it would be really good at keeping the wood from splitting when hammered in. Anyone know where to get one or does anyone have any suggestions on picture framing? I am looking for a QUICK and easy way to make picture frames that still come out with good quality. I will be mass producing these.

lawrence dosson
05-09-2010, 11:16 AM
Darrin
I build lots of picture frames what i like the best is the mitre clamps set from woodpeckers i permantly screw them to a board and use the decosto stile clamps that they show .
i use a logan V nail press to put the v nails in the corners and i also have one of the logan mitre sanders both from lee valley I like the looks of the corner fastners you show also can you tell me were you find those? lawrence

George Clark
05-09-2010, 2:05 PM
My wife ran a custom picture frame shop for 30 years. Before the days of pneumatic V nail joining machines, we assembled literally thousands of frames using Stanley miter vices (or clones), glue and an air nailer; slight headed pins or narrow staples depending on the molding.

http://www.unitedmfrs.com/cart/detail.cfm?item=3538

Cut some 4x4s to the proper length to support long sides and the corner opposite the vice. Assemble two sides, a long and a short. and let the glue dry. You need a system to keep the sides properly oriented. We used "long on the left." Then assemble the two joined sides. Spread glue on both corners or use a razor blade to spread glue in the last joint prior to removing joint 3 from the vice. Support the two opposite corners when rotating the frame to clamp the last corner. Fill the nail holes with colored wax nail hole filler available from the same supplier. Mix the colors to get an exact match. If the molding is unfinished use the wood filler of your choice.

Before the air nailer's we nailed them together by hand. If you choose this route, clip the points off the nails and they will be less likely to follow the grain and blow out the sides. Pre-drill really hard wood.

The fasteners you show may work fine, I've never used them, but I would be concerned about damaging the face of the molding while driving them in, especially in hard wood.

Joe Chritz
05-09-2010, 2:17 PM
I just picked up a HiPUR former hot melt poly urethane glue gun for doing things just like this.

15-30 second glue set allows each miter to be put together and held by hand. Reports on the strength are very good. I haven't had an opportunity to use it yet and won't until I finish the current kitchen I am doing but it looks promising.

Price wasn't to bad either.

Once it was glued you could then add any extra fasteners you wanted if needed.

Joe

Alan Lilly
05-11-2010, 1:06 PM
Visit my website (click on my name "Alan Lilly" above) and click on my "making picture frames post". This is my favorite framing jig. It may not be fast enough for volume production.

Will Blick
05-11-2010, 3:22 PM
can't get the video to load? I have latest Adobe flash? any ideas?

Alan Lilly
05-11-2010, 7:47 PM
can't get the video to load? I have latest Adobe flash? any ideas?

That's weird... it works for me. Anyone else have a problem seeing the video?

Will Blick
05-12-2010, 9:30 PM
Alan, a reboot of the pc and it worked.... go figure...

you have a great knack for videos, great tutorial for newbs...well done.
woodwhisperer beware! :-)

I am always somewhat reluctant to only use glue "only" on a, end grain - to - end grain glue up... in this case, the boards were not very wide, so its pretty safe, as the expansion / contraction is on the width, which will open up a miter...

And yes you are right, that clamp is no longer made, not sure why, it's quite clever... I have a bunch of them...of course, as with everything in ww, there is always more than one way to skin a cat. Since Bessey bought Gross Stabil, I assume they are simply leaning-out the offerings...

Alan Lilly
05-12-2010, 9:41 PM
Alan, a reboot of the pc and it worked.... go figure...

you have a great knack for videos, great tutorial for newbs...we done.
woodwhisperer beware! :-) ...

Thanks Will! Good to know about the possible expansion issue with a wider miter for a picture frame.