PDA

View Full Version : Regular Canister DC or Cyclone - Height Limited

James Malcolm
05-09-2010, 9:49 AM
Trying to choose between the Grizzly G0703 1.5hp cyclone (775cfm @1.08) and a G0562Z 3hp double canister DC (2320 cfm, 16.9" static). When i go up to their store I'm going to have to see if I can shorten the G0443 cyclone (1025cfm @ 2.6") enough to fit under my 82" between joist ceiling. The duct work will run about 14' straight shot to end, 2 wye's branching off the main along the way, 6 or 7" to start depending on which one I get , tapering down 5" in the middle, 4" drops. I might use 2 at a time on the same machine. Don't have any big boy tools yet, I think the 20" I've been drueling over would be my worst tool. I don't do much woodworking yet, but I can already tell how much dust I'm breathing with just a day project. The double canister model has a 1um rated filter, the cyclone has a .2-2 (so I assume tha means 2) um filter. I'm guessing that it would be easier to get a sub-micron/HEPA to fit on the G0562Z canister than it would be the cyclone. Beyond that it comes down to cfm and filter life. How much do I need to use it before the filter life outweighs cfm? My shopvac just isn't gutting it for my 2" tools, let alone when I get a 4" one.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/3HP-Double-Canister-Dust-Collector/G0562Z

http://www.grizzly.com/products/Cyclone-D-C-1-1-2-HP-2-Stage/G0703

Charlie Plesums
05-10-2010, 9:08 PM
On a good cyclone almost nothing gets to the filter. I don't know how good the Grizzly cyclones are... their specs are good, but that doesn't always represent real life.

I have a 2 hp Grizzly 2 bagger. When I put the Grizzly fine bags on, the time between bags clogging the airflow was minutes, so I spent over $100 for a custom upper bag (huge). My ultimate goal is to replace it with an Oneida cyclone.

The normal cannister DC the chips go through the fan and hit the filter, but with a cyclone, the chips and dust drop before the fan, and long before the filter. Huge difference.

Some ideas, but I am not sure I answered your real question.

Paul Wunder
05-10-2010, 10:00 PM
James,

I am a big supporter of cyclones for dust collection and I am a fan of Grizzly.

While I did buy the ClearVue, it won out over the Grizzly 3hp cyclone which had been very highly rated.

Unfortunately, I do not think their 1 1/2 hp portable is in the class of their grownups. The specs state a maximum of 695 cfm at 2.9 in of static pressure. That static pressure is barely minimum and Grizzly does not provide a full fan curve as it does for its other cyclones. With these specs I would pass and look a strong cannister model with a 1 micron filter and put a pre-separator on it to separate the dust before it hits the filter

Paul

Paul Johnstone
05-12-2010, 11:36 AM
You might be able to use a shorter chip collection bin to reduce the total height the cyclone requires.

I am pretty sure that JDS makes some shorter cyclones as well. I don't know how they perform, but that's another option to throw out there.

IMO, a cyclone will be superior to a cansiter filter. Figure out a cyclone that works for you (if possible).

I ended up putting the motor for my cyclone between my basement floor joists to get extra headroom.. Don't know if that is an option for your shop or not.. but even if you had to cut a hole in the ceiling and then repair it when you move, it would be worth it (IMO).

James Malcolm
05-13-2010, 5:55 PM
Thanks for the replies guys. I browsed back through the tech info at Clearvue as it's been a while since I've read it thoroughly and came to the conclusion that with either of the cyclons that would fit, neither would have enough cfm to collect the dust, so I got the dual canister DC instead. For as much WW as I do, I think it will be adequate until I move my shop into the garage, at which time I'll look at a cyclone. Would definitely have preferred a cyclone, but I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place right now w/ my basement shop. Still has to be better than my shopvac :) Thanks again guys.

Alan Schaffter
05-13-2010, 10:38 PM
Not sure what specs you are looking at, but a ClearVue will outsuck and separate better than any 5 hp or smaller Grizzly. I suspect the ratings are measured differently. That is academic however since ClearVue is closing its doors and not taking new orders.

Too late now, but if your choice was a single stage DC, you are wasting your money on one with cartridge filters. The cartridges filter better, but clog just as quickly as bags, and the result is that flow is restricted and you are not picking up the dust where it is being created - the goal of a DC. That is why many single stage DCs with cartridge filters have adopted a bandaid approach by adding a beater bar. You will need to operate the beater bar often to knock the dust off of the media and out of the pleats, which unfortunately quickly reduces the life of the filter.

Now, as to collection from small power tools with 2" or smaller dust ports. I think you will be very disappointed trying to use a DC for that. DCs work on moving lots of air, while shopvacs work by providing high static pressure. Therefore, DCs work better with large ducting, typically 6" or larger, and barely so with 4" duct. Unless they are a beast capable of good CFM and high static pressure, they are worthless trying to suck through a 2" opening. Shopvacs with their high static pressure will work with 2" piping quite well. If your shopvac filter is clogging, build or buy a pre-separator like this mini-cyclone:

http://www.ncwoodworker.net/pp/data/1404/medium/PB050004.JPG

Joe A Faulkner
05-14-2010, 7:54 AM
Another option to a cyclone, is a seperator. Like a cyclone, you install the seperator in front of the impeller and your intake ports.

Phil Thien is a contributor here and has his own forum dedicated to this affordable option to cyclones. Phil perfected low end, trash can lid seperators with his own design. Search the net for the Thien Seperator. You should find Phil's sight. You will find many folks who have gone this route and are very satisfied with their results. On industrious woodworker who goes by the alias vawoodworker84 has adapted Phils design for using 6" ducting and a dust collector from Harbor Freight that sells for less that $200.

If you search for vawoodworker84 you should be able to find a uTube video that demonstrates what many considerthis unit in action. Check it out. For where you are now, this might be a good option to consider. Good Luck.