PDA

View Full Version : Is old epoxy okay?

Wade Lippman
05-09-2010, 9:48 AM
I have 6 year old epoxy; west 105 and 205. The hardener has turned brown, but still seems to harden. I last used it two years ago (already brown) and it worked normally.

I am gluing up a table that must be waterproof. It consists of 27 slats joined to two end rails with dominoes. No way on earth I can do it with woodworking glue; just not enough time. Epoxy was suggested to me.

27 dominoes is pretty serious overkill. If the epoxy has half it's original strength,that would be fine. If it has no strength, that would be a costly error and create a pile of walnut firewood.

If using it is a bad idea, how about keeping the 105 and picking up a small can of fresh 206 to go with it.

I would prefer not to put much money into this because I probably won't be using it again for a few years; judging by my past. Thanks.

Yes, I have glued up several joints to test the stuff, but that will only show initial failure; it won't tell me if it will fall apart in a year.

Gerry Grzadzinski
05-09-2010, 11:18 AM
From their website:

PROBLEM: Hardener has turned red after several years storage.

Moisture in contact with hardener and metal container.
Red color is a normal condition. It will not affect epoxy handling or cured strength. Avoid using for clear coating or exposed areas where color is not desired.

Gary Breckenridge
05-10-2010, 12:24 AM
And you are thinking of using antique epoxy to save $10 ? :cool:

Neil Davie
05-10-2010, 7:51 AM
I have used it and it works fine. It will harden brown also, so should not be used where clear is desired.

Wade Lippman
05-10-2010, 4:57 PM

Wests tells me it never goes bad, if you don't count being brown as bad.

However I am thinking that maybe buying some System3 T88 might not be a bad idea. It is $20, but has a longer open time (which I might need), is thicker to fill my joints better (57 dominoes), and isn't brown or 7 years old.

I don't know; I am so damned cheap, but don't need this falling apart either.

Anyone know how critical the mix is on T88? 10% one way or another fatal? I have pumps that seem to work well for the West material; so I am conflicted.

Travis Schafer
05-11-2010, 9:36 AM
I've been told by West Reps that it never goes bad as well (even through winter months). I've personally used 5-7 year old West that sat through hard Maine winters for structural purposes and haven't had any problems with the bonds yet. I also worked in a boat yard with marine carpenters that had similar experiences with old West working very well.

It's some of the best (if not the best Epoxy) out there. If I were you, I'd save the $20 and have faith in West System.

James Mudler
05-11-2010, 11:00 AM
[QUOTE=

I don't know; I am so damned cheap, ......

[/QUOTE]

My grandfather taught me a cheap person buys cheap things, a thrifty person spends their hard earned money wisely.

I see a big difference between the two. :D

Tim Sgrazzutti
05-27-2010, 12:00 PM
Absolutely no problem in my experience, don't waste your money on new hardener if the red/brown color won't bother you.

Frank Drew
05-28-2010, 12:38 AM
From my experience the stuff remains effective forever; the hardener does turn a reddish brown but that turned out to be a good thing for most of the times I used it (reinforcing tight knots; filling small cracks, etc.)

What's not to like about West Systems epoxies... super long shelf life combined with excellent performance.

Travis Schafer
05-28-2010, 10:08 AM

Please show me the where you can buy WS 105 and 205 for $10. I think I've been paying too much ;)

Jim Creech
05-28-2010, 11:51 AM
You ain't the only one!!!
Being somewhat "frugal" ,I use the old stuff with a fair degree of regularity without any problems.