PDA

View Full Version : Finaly got air compressor wired up

Karl Card
05-09-2010, 5:23 AM
Here awhile back i posted that I had gotten a new air compressor. well I finally got it hooked up and wired and wow I really like it. the 3.2 hp 60 gallon husky at HD. 4 year warranty and really quiet as far as a/c go and vibration is very, very minimal... I have it just screwed to the pallet and it has not tried to jump anywhere or vibrate anywhere... i got mine at 399 for a new one and I see now they are offering refurbs for 409.. I feel lucky for once...

Terry Welty
05-09-2010, 7:09 AM
Now you need to load up on a bunch of air tools!!

Karl Card
05-09-2010, 2:58 PM
Now you need to load up on a bunch of air tools!!

but that requires loading up on money first...lol:mad:

Mike Reinholtz
05-09-2010, 5:19 PM
I've been looking at this compressor for a while as well, currently I have an oil-free 26 gallon Husky. It's so loud I use it as little as possible. Good to hear it's quieter, I wish I could turn one on at the store before buying.

Brian Cover
05-09-2010, 6:37 PM
A friend of mine used 3/4" schedule 40 PVC to run the air lines in his shop. I never considered PVC for that job until I saw his. It is a very cheap and fast way to set up air lines, just be sure to clean and prime the fittings and use the good glue; not the cheap junk.

Chris Kennedy
05-09-2010, 7:19 PM
A friend of mine used 3/4" schedule 40 PVC to run the air lines in his shop. I never considered PVC for that job until I saw his. It is a very cheap and fast way to set up air lines, just be sure to clean and prime the fittings and use the good glue; not the cheap junk.

Schedule 40 PVC is not meant for pressurized gas. At 3/4", a run of pipe over 12" is expected to burst at around 100 psi. Moreover, if it fails, it is likely to fail catastrophically and send PVC shrapnel around the shop.

PVC is designed to carry liquid, not gas. Liquids are not particularly compressible, so it is much harder to get significant pressure. Water coming in off the street main is not likely to go past about 60 psi (assuming I remember correctly), but shouldn't be anywhere near 100 psi.

Do not use PVC for compressed air. It is just plain dangerous.

Cheers,

Chris

Karl Card
05-10-2010, 12:47 AM
I've been looking at this compressor for a while as well, currently I have an oil-free 26 gallon Husky. It's so loud I use it as little as possible. Good to hear it's quieter, I wish I could turn one on at the store before buying.

well i went from a small HF 26 gallon to this and man it is so much quieter and so much less vibration than the small HF.. I wanted to get more compressor than I needed just so that in the future if my air tools grew then I would have the compressor covered. I also planned on starting to spray my wood finishes instead of brushing or aerosol can... So far I am not sorry I bought it at all..

Karl Card
05-10-2010, 12:50 AM
as far as pvc goes I will use it for my dust collector but not for comp. Rigth now that I am low on funds and not sure what direction my shop may go I will prob just run hose to wear i need it until I get more of an ideal on what and where I need air at.

Brian Cover
05-10-2010, 11:38 PM
Schedule 40 PVC is not meant for pressurized gas. At 3/4", a run of pipe over 12" is expected to burst at around 100 psi. Moreover, if it fails, it is likely to fail catastrophically and send PVC shrapnel around the shop.

PVC is designed to carry liquid, not gas. Liquids are not particularly compressible, so it is much harder to get significant pressure. Water coming in off the street main is not likely to go past about 60 psi (assuming I remember correctly), but shouldn't be anywhere near 100 psi.

Do not use PVC for compressed air. It is just plain dangerous.

Cheers,

ChrisThat post is completely erroneous.
Here is an engineering chart showing that 3/4" Schedule 40 pvc is rated to 1500 PSI burst pressure.

http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/pvc-cpvc-pipes-pressures-d_796.html

Operating pressure rating is 300PSI

Because liquids do not compress, it is much EASIER to get significant pressure which is why A/C compressors hydro lock (something I deal with on a regular basis).

Many cities in the US have water pressures in excess of 100 PSI.

Steve Milito
05-11-2010, 10:47 AM
That post is completely erroneous.
Here is an engineering chart showing that 3/4" Schedule 40 pvc is rated to 1500 PSI burst pressure.

http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/pvc-cpvc-pipes-pressures-d_796.html

Operating pressure rating is 300PSI

Because liquids do not compress, it is much EASIER to get significant pressure which is why A/C compressors hydro lock (something I deal with on a regular basis).

Many cities in the US have water pressures in excess of 100 PSI.

I'd still be careful with using PVC for compressed air. There are numerous reports of it bursting, shredding, and having plastic shrapnel causing injury.
http://www.osha.gov/dts/hib/hib_data/hib19880520.html

Granted, numerous home shops use PVC and the number of reported injuries are low. Yet, I'd prefer to go the safer but more expensive pipe in my shop since safety is more valuable than the relatively small cost difference.