PDA

View Full Version : RAS disks, Hook & Loop Or PSA?

John McClanahan
05-08-2010, 11:04 PM
I recently picked up on a good looking, not abused, porter Cable 7335 random orbit sander for $35 at a pawn shop (mini gloat). It is equipped with a 5" PSA pad. My other cheap RAS has a hook & loop pad. I can get a hook & loop pad for the Porter Cable. I can even get a 6" pad for it. My question is, which type of pad is preferred? Why?

Thanks, John

Jim Terrill
05-08-2010, 11:07 PM
I recently picked up on a good looking, not abused, porter Cable 7335 random orbit sander for $35 at a pawn shop (mini gloat). It is equipped with a 5" PSA pad. My other cheap RAS has a hook & loop pad. I can get a hook & loop pad for the Porter Cable. I can even get a 6" pad for it. My question is, which type of pad is preferred? Why?

Thanks, John
When I was in HS and we had a half dozen sanders, they were all psa since each one was for a different grit. Now that I have one ROS and have to switch between grits, I have h&l, where I can get full use of the disc without worrying about the adhesive dying as I switch discs.

Michael Schwartz
05-08-2010, 11:40 PM
I prefer Hook and loop, but I am also using a Fesstool ROS so thats the system they offer.

I think some people prefer PSA since its cheaper, but then again you can't re-use discs. I frequently save my used discs for sanding off glue, wood filler, and other junk that will ruin a new disc in seconds.

IMO the best way to get the most life from your paper is to get a sander with good dust collection and run it with a vacuum. I have noticed the Fesstool paper lasts a long time, and there is virtually no dust left from sanding.

You should be able to get a hook and loop pad, but it might cost close to what you paid for the sander. If its already PSA you might just want to invest in some PSA paper.

Glen Butler
05-09-2010, 4:16 AM
When I am on site I like to use an electric with hook and loop. Easy to change paper and I only need one ROS. In the shop I use psa discs on pneumatic sanders cause they last longer and I don't need to worry about how many of them I have.

Rob Holcomb
05-09-2010, 8:37 AM
I have both and like both. My PSA is air while my H&L is electric. My air ROS does a faster job of things but what I like about the H&L electric ROS I have is that I use primarily for final sanding. I don't know why, but for very light sanding, it does a better job. Another feature of having a H&L ROS is that in a pinch, I can cut out triangles to use with my Dremel multi-max.

Glen Butler
05-09-2010, 4:17 PM
I have both and like both. My PSA is air while my H&L is electric. My air ROS does a faster job of things but what I like about the H&L electric ROS I have is that I use primarily for final sanding. I don't know why, but for very light sanding, it does a better job. Another feature of having a H&L ROS is that in a pinch, I can cut out triangles to use with my Dremel multi-max.

I have found that pneumatics are quicker but not necessarily more aggressive. Pneumatics have a much higher rpm than electrics, which will make them quicker at sanding, but I believe aggressiveness comes from the pattern of the orbit. Some ROS's have a 3/16 pattern and others have a 3/8 pattern. Could this be why you like the electric for final sanding? Does it have a smaller pattern than the pneumatic?

Walter Plummer
05-09-2010, 9:23 PM
i have both and use both but for most sanding I prefer the psa because the pad is firm. If you are sanding parts narrower than the pad I believe the h&l is soft enough to start rounding over the edges. Sanding large flat panels h&l is fine probably preferable because of the ease of grit change.

Van Huskey
05-09-2010, 9:53 PM
I prefer H&L just for the ease of change and reuse.

Jim Terrill
05-09-2010, 9:56 PM
i have both and use both but for most sanding I prefer the psa because the pad is firm. If you are sanding parts narrower than the pad I believe the h&l is soft enough to start rounding over the edges. Sanding large flat panels h&l is fine probably preferable because of the ease of grit change.
FWIW, you can get different hardnesses of sanding pad. There is still a tiny bit of "squish" due to the distance between the paper and the pad, but I haven't noticed much softness there when using a hard sanding pad.

Rob Holcomb
05-10-2010, 6:13 AM
Glen, to be honest, I can't remember but I think they are the same but I've been wrong before. Actually, I'm falling in love with my Dremel Multi-Max, especially for inside corners. Just the other day, I used it to sand down the top edge of a blanket chest. It worked great and I had more control with it than with any ROS I've used. It has its limitations just like any tool but where I one would think...How am I going to do that without messing up the area around it...I now just grab the dremel and no worries. I highly recommend the tool. Of course Fein, Bosch and a few other company's sell their own Multi-tool I chose the Dremel because of price and availability locally. I'm sure they all work great!

Lee Schierer
05-10-2010, 12:46 PM
I prefer PSA because they never wear out. My ROS is over 12 years old, gets used regularly and I still have the factor pad on the bottom and it works as good as it did new. The Hook & Loop types all need to be replaced because the pads material wears out and the paper doesn't stick. If I peel off my PSA paper when it is warm it comes right off and can usually be reused. I see no advantage to the hook and loop. The H&L paper even costs more.

Bruce Page
05-10-2010, 1:25 PM
I was a staunch supporter of PSA when I got my first porter cable 333 ROS sander. I lost my affection for it after I bought a bad batch of Klingspor disks that required a heat lamp, razor blade, and a lot of patience to remove the cellophane backing. :mad:
My next sander was a PC333 variable speed H&L and then a Festool ETS 150/3. I love the convenience and re-usability of the H&L. About the only thing I use the PSA sander for these days is rough sanding.

John McClanahan
05-10-2010, 6:28 PM
Thanks to everyone for your opinions

Lee, how do you store your used pads for reuse, wax paper?

Thanks, John

Lee Schierer
05-11-2010, 3:07 PM
Thanks to everyone for your opinions

Lee, how do you store your used pads for reuse, wax paper?

Thanks, John

I replace them in the box with the un-used disks so they don't get sawdust in the adhesive.

Prashun Patel
05-11-2010, 3:39 PM
+1 for Hook and Loop.

If yr concerned with pad life, then consider that a) they are about $10 to replace, and b) by the time they die, you might want to get a new ROS anyway, since they're not so expensive.

I have a soft and hard pad for my ROS. IMHO, a ROS isn't really the best tool for flattening or aggressive sanding, so a super hard pad isn't that necessary anyway.