PDA

View Full Version : Sure I want the job, but...

John Noell
05-08-2010, 10:44 PM
Sometimes a job comes along and you say, “Sure I can do that.” Then the reality of how tedious it is hits. The money was okay but making sure each step was done just exactly right became a pain. Then the client said, “I like them so much I want another batch for the back doors to match the front doors.” Since the money was definitely okay I know I shouldn’t complain – but I find myself thinking, “I hope I don’t get another big order quite like this one.” Then I think, “What? I don’t want paying clients with repeat orders???” Sigh. I gotta stop talking to myself so much.

Rodne Gold
05-09-2010, 2:53 AM
Yeh - it's a pain in the butt to have to actually WORK to earn :)

Ian Wilson (AUST)
05-09-2010, 7:15 AM
How did you make this?

Cheers Ian

John Noell
05-09-2010, 3:58 PM
How did you make this?

Cheers IanIt's 6mm perspex painted black on the back (with acrylic paint), reverse engraved for the white numbers and blue circle, then after those are filled (with acrylic paint), it is rastered again (deeply) for the red part of the logo. Living on a small island I am extremely limited in what I can get so the black is heavy-body artists paint and it is nasty to raster through, leaving a lot of black ash. Also, it is hard to apply it really evenly and that can make the depth of the engraving uneven. Getting the paint just right and keeping everything registered precisely was the hardest part. The early trials used solvent-based paint and looked great - until the stress cracks appeared.

Dan Hintz
05-09-2010, 6:43 PM
John,

Have you considered an airbrush? Think that black down significantly and have another go at it.

John Noell
05-09-2010, 9:17 PM
John,

Have you considered an airbrush? Think that black down significantly and have another go at it.If I ever get some place that has airbrushes I probably will pick one up. I don't know enough to buy on-line. I did try thining a bit but it did not come out opaque enough and I had to do a second, then a third coat. (Why the guy wants opaque when it ends up against the door is another story.) Rattle can black was ideal - except for the stess cracks. :(

Bill Cunningham
05-11-2010, 7:41 PM
I guess the Rowmark black reverse engraved material takes a while to order in from your part of the world.. It would certainly solve a few of your problems.. Can you get any of the Krylon products there? I would Imagine the Krylon H20 in black would be easier to work with.. Might even be worth ordering in a case for future work

John Noell
05-11-2010, 9:03 PM
I guess the Rowmark black reverse engraved material takes a while to order in from your part of the world.. It would certainly solve a few of your problems.. Can you get any of the Krylon products there? I would Imagine the Krylon H20 in black would be easier to work with.. Might even be worth ordering in a case for future workYes, weeks to get Rowmark over here (and the client wanted the thicker perspex look - "more elegant") so I do stock quite a bit, but not the black reverse, only the white. No Krylon products here at all. I wasted many hours trying to find a way to get them. (Very unhelpful company.) No spray cans can be ordered from the USA (as they cannot go on airplanes any more), even water-based sprays, so I cannot even order them. However, it's a real nice place to live. :)

Mike Null
05-12-2010, 12:50 AM
John

I have 3 airbrushes. One quite expensive wihch I never use, a cheap one from HF which I've stopped using and another inexpensive single action Paasche which I love for color fill and Cermark. It was about $17 at a hobby store.

Dee Gallo is our resident expert on air brushes so send her a pm for advice.'