PDA

View Full Version : Tall English Walnut Box

Curt Fuller
05-08-2010, 10:31 PM
I've turned a few of these, I call them boxes for lack of a better term. But anyway, this one is about 6.5" tall and 2.75" diameter, turned from some English Walnut that included a knot and some sapwood. The finish is Minwax Woodsheen, Beall buffed.

George Guadiane
05-08-2010, 10:44 PM
Glad to be the first to say:
VERY NICE!
I like how you used the wood. It looks like it would feel nice to hold.

Steve Schlumpf
05-08-2010, 10:56 PM
Really nice Curt! Great form! Sure like the rich color of the walnut!

Glad to see you are getting a little shop time in! Nice work!

dan carter
05-08-2010, 11:04 PM
Nice work. It is hard to beat walnut.

Dennis Puskar
05-08-2010, 11:21 PM
Nice work the knot and the sap wood sets it off .

Dennis

Bernie Weishapl
05-08-2010, 11:42 PM
Really a nice piece Curt. That walnut has some rich color.

Karl Card
05-08-2010, 11:46 PM
I love figured/colored walnut. Or maybe I should say walnut w/ sapwood... just absolutely nothing else like it...

But then again I have never seen an ugly wood, just some better looking than others...lol

Very pretty piece however..

kc

Larry Marley
05-09-2010, 12:04 AM
I like it Curt.
I really enjoy your sense of perspective and form.
Always pleasing.

Larry

Richard Madison
05-09-2010, 1:15 AM
Beautiful piece Curt, and one of my favorite shapes. I probably copied it from your work a couple years ago. "Lidded Vessel". Ain't no stinkin' "box".

John Keeton
05-09-2010, 6:38 AM
Curt, great job on this one - very pleasing form, and the color of the walnut is beautiful! I kind of like the term lidded vessel - sounds much better than box. When I first started turning, I couldn't understand the concept of a "round box!" Still doesn't seem like a good descriptive term!

David E Keller
05-09-2010, 11:25 AM
Nicely done... It's hard to go wrong with walnut. I've got a similar vessel needing to be finished(sans lid). I like the shape.

Bill Bolen
05-09-2010, 11:50 AM
Love the manner in which you fitted the lid to an outstanding form. Excellent ...Bill...

steven carter
05-10-2010, 1:55 PM
Curt,

Top knotch in my book. What hollowing method do you use on these?

Steve

Tony De Masi
05-10-2010, 2:00 PM
Real nice piece Curt. Love the form of it very much. Don't ya just love walnut?

Tony

bob svoboda
05-10-2010, 2:40 PM
A very nice piece Curt. Love the form and the wood. I have some EW in the drying cycle and can't wait to turn it.

GLENN THOMAS
05-10-2010, 6:45 PM
I agree with those who like the form and I also think the finial and vessel go together really well.

Jack Gaskins
05-10-2010, 7:20 PM
I've turned a few of these, I call them boxes for lack of a better term. But anyway, this one is about 6.5" tall and 2.75" diameter, turned from some English Walnut that included a knot and some sapwood. The finish is Minwax Woodsheen, Beall buffed.

How do you like the minwax woodsheen product? I noticed it at the diy store this weekend and almost bought some to try.

Jeff Nicol
05-10-2010, 7:38 PM
Curt, Box, lidded vessel, or just a junk collector no matter what you call it they look nice and like has already been said the shape and lid style are made for each other. I have been going to make some more boxes but I can't seem to get to it. Great inspiration!

Jeff

Curt Fuller
05-10-2010, 8:33 PM
Thanks everyone! I appreciate all the kind comments.

How do you like the minwax woodsheen product? I noticed it at the diy store this weekend and almost bought some to try.

Jack, I really like it. It seems to be just a gel type oil finish with something in it to speed the drying. But because it's a gel it isn't quite as messy as oils are. As far as the finished look, I can't tell it from any of the other oils. It buffs out very nice too.

What hollowing method do you use on these?

Steve

I just use my assortment of hand held hollowing tools, mostly scrapers. I pre-drill with a 1" forstner bit and then just work my way out to the thickness that feels about right.

I don't know if any of you have problems with lids that fit inside the vessel rather than sliding over. But I find that if I try to make them flush with the top of the vessel there will always be some wood movement that causes them to look as though the lid doesn't fit right. I tried this approach of recessing the lid a while back and the looks of it just grew on me. And because the lid doesn't line up to start with, it never seems mis-aligned.