PDA

View Full Version : First turning on new 1642 lathe

Thom Sturgill
05-08-2010, 10:12 PM
Actually, this was started on my Jet 1220 and problems caused me to decide to upgrade to the 1642. I also used the 1220 to turn the tenon off and finish the bottom using my vacuum chuck as I don't have an adapter for the 1642 yet.

Western long leaf maple about 11.5" dia and 2.25" high. Lacquer finish, buffed and ren wax applied and hand polished off. Dark streaks near the burl are epoxy/coffee grounds filling cracks, this was also used to fill grooves on the bottom. C & C welcome and thanks for looking.

Paul Douglass
05-08-2010, 10:50 PM
Very beautiful turning. That is great looking wood and a great finish.

Steve Schlumpf
05-08-2010, 10:54 PM
Very - very nice Thom! Love the wood! Good looking form and finish as well!

So - how did you like turning on the new lathe?

Bernie Weishapl
05-08-2010, 11:46 PM
Looks like the lathe worked well. That is one pretty piece. Great form and finish.

Thom Sturgill
05-09-2010, 6:25 AM
The lathe is great. Interestingly, both this piece, which is unbalanced in weight because of the burls, and the piece mounted on the lathe now are challenges. Our club president gave me a piece of 'beauty leaf' and it will not stop checking. I am experimenting with filling the cracks with crushed malachite and CA, but am worried that it will fly apart when I start hollowing. Also, I decided that I probably will have to add ballast, and fix the drawers on my cabinet so they stay shut:eek: