PDA

View Full Version : Picked up a bandsaw today

Greg Woloshyn
05-08-2010, 9:49 PM
It's a Ridgid 14" bandsaw with a brand new Kreg fence, new blade and belt, and cool blocks from woodcraft. It was on Craigslist and I jumped on it for $225. Nice machine and accessories for that price. It's in my living room because my shop is getting a makeover including a brand new floor. Next to the bandsaw, you will find my brand new Delta 10" contractors table saw that I'm just dying to try out. Let me know what ya think!

http://i39.tinypic.com/2zgsrhz.jpg

http://i44.tinypic.com/2ahgqdj.jpg

http://i41.tinypic.com/wl9guv.jpg

Matthew Hills
05-08-2010, 9:50 PM
You know, one or two test cuts might not hurt with either tool. you could probably vacuum up most of the dust.

Matt

Myk Rian
05-08-2010, 9:55 PM
Let me know what ya think!
I think that BS needs a cleaning. You ought to be ashamed, taking a pic with it in that condition. :D
Nice haul.

Brendan Plavis
05-08-2010, 11:07 PM
I was going to say, Nice shop... but then I read it was your living room.... opps...

But boy does that saw need a bath... any man who lets his tool get that dirty should be put to death... perhaps that didnt sound so right....

Michael Schwartz
05-08-2010, 11:52 PM
Congrats, a bandsaw is such a versatile machine and especially with limited space will do so much.

Next thing to do would be to get it tuned up nicely. Research drift angle, and how to accommodate for it with your fence as well. This is perhaps the most important key to success for re-sawing.

Greg Woloshyn
05-09-2010, 7:28 AM
Congrats, a bandsaw is such a versatile machine and especially with limited space will do so much.

Next thing to do would be to get it tuned up nicely. Research drift angle, and how to accommodate for it with your fence as well. This is perhaps the most important key to success for re-sawing.

Thanks, I've learned a bit about blade drift and I plan on doing a nice tune up when my shop is done, I will probably buy that bandsaw book everyone is talking about, too.

John McClanahan
05-09-2010, 9:26 AM
i think you need to set the stuff up and start using it!:D

John

Curt Harms
05-10-2010, 8:19 AM
I see about ridgid band saws is vibration. At least some of them have poorly balanced wheels. When spun by hand, if the wheels stop in the same place every time, they probably need either material removed or weight added. If I had one and had vibration, I'd also remove the belt and turn it on making sure the vibration wasn't coming from the belt or motor.

Jim Rimmer
05-10-2010, 12:53 PM
Just one question, are you single? Not thinking of proposing but can't imagine LOML allowing those tools in the living room.

Van Huskey
05-10-2010, 1:26 PM
Definately a nice find the fence alone is worth $100 of the 225!

Nathan Palenski
05-10-2010, 2:32 PM
Before I lived in my current house I had to keep my table saw and all my hand tools in the living room since we didnt have a garage. :D

Kelly Colin Mark
05-10-2010, 2:44 PM
Thanks, I've learned a bit about blade drift and I plan on doing a nice tune up when my shop is done, I will probably buy that bandsaw book everyone is talking about, too.
Which book is this ? I am new to woodworking and just bought my first band saw. And was also considering buying the same fence.

Joseph Tarantino
05-10-2010, 6:43 PM
congrats on a great buy. those gray ridgids carry a lifetime guarantee that attaches to the machine, and makes no mention of original ownership. if you are interested in optimizing it's performance, go to wood magazine and search for an article they had by michael fortune, a noted furniture builder and band saw expert. the article reviews the modifications he made to his ridgid BS to optimize it's performance, even though he has several larger, more expensive machines. those gray saws were built by emerson electric and predate the manufacturing switch to one world technology(OWT). it's time to finish your shop and start making sawdust!