PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else turn with a Craftsman 1542?

Randy Gazda
05-08-2010, 9:12 PM
I have a Craftsman 1542 'professional' lathe, that I purchase several years ago used (brand new in the box, good story but too long to tell here). For the record I would say this is a great lathe for the price. However, it doesn't hurt to be a mechanic if you own one.

I am wondering if anyone else on this forum uses one? If you do, does the variable speed pulley get stuck? If so do you have a solution? The only solution I have found is to take the split ring and spring off and wedge the pulley apart.

This and breaking the small drive belt are the only problems I seem to have. I found a cheap source of belts on-line so this is no longer a big deal (sears was charging me $28 a belt).

Bernie Weishapl
05-09-2010, 12:00 AM
Mine hit the metal pile at the dump after 2 yrs. I had that thing apart fixing it more than I turned. I replaced belts and took those clips and springs apart enough I could do it in my sleep. I bought a Nova DVR XP the next day.

Doug Fries
05-09-2010, 8:19 AM
I have been using aerosol graphite spray to keep it lubed, but do my best to keep the spray away from the sides of the pulley that the belt comes in contact with. I have had much less trouble with it sticking since I started using graphite.

What is the name of your belt supplier? I checked Sears a few weeks ago and they now want $98.00 for the variable Speed belt.

Randy Gazda
05-09-2010, 9:43 AM
I bought the small belts from www.beltsforanthing.com (http://www.beltsforanthing.com), the customer service was outstanding on the phone. 337-235-9736 I paid $6 or 7 for the small belts (to many catches with large green bowl blanks). I haven't purchased the large belt from them but would be surprised if they don't have them.