PDA

View Full Version : Why I do dumb stuff......

David Nelson1
05-08-2010, 9:05 PM
cause I ain't learned yet LOL OK there I was trying to figure out how to square a glued up panel that should already be square. The panels are larger than my saws capacity so I decided I'll add 16 inches in front and on the back of the saw. (Waiting on parts) So that still doesn't handle length for sheet goods. Cross cut sled was the answer. I ordered a bunch of hardware and went to the local hardware store and bought 4 2X6X10s. What a mistake, first off its not as wide as I wanted so I improvised a bit, changed a few dimensions and poof off to the races I go. Did anyone mention white or scrub pine splinters and tears and is just awful to work with.

This is the first project I have tried traditional joinery. I did farely well with the M/T joints. I cut the tenions on a BS and used a bench top mortisner to get close and finished by hand, one had to be shimmed but the rest where ok. Tomorrow I'll try to finish the sled horse I started today. I get to play with a new Dado set and new P/C plunge router tomorrow.

Here is the sled I am building. Found it on FWW
http://www.finewoodworking.com/Workshop/WorkshopPDF.aspx?id=30757

Joe Chritz
05-09-2010, 2:23 PM
Some mistakes are to good to only make once.

A sled is a very useful addition, mine gets used a lot.

If you aren't making a few mistakes you aren't pushing the envelope nearly hard enough. You just need to know where mistakes are allowed and where they aren't. Some mistakes in a shop can be very very bad.

Stay safe

Joe

David Nelson1
05-09-2010, 5:22 PM
Yup I agree. Mistakes are lessons learned and I could fill a few pages this weekend. LOL My sled horse looks as if a 5 year old made it. Oh well it will work and I can try it again when it get weak.