PDA

View Full Version : Well I got up today and A chain saw was

Brad Vaughn
05-08-2010, 7:14 PM
Cutting,
After I looked out the window I got an idea to see what was being cut.
Long story short I found some nice wood.
And joined in on the cutting.
Now this is my first green wood its been coated.
Now to see when it is ready.

Steve Vaughan
05-08-2010, 7:33 PM
Cedar will make some really nice looking bowls. Looks like you'll have to work around some of that punky wood in there, but you've got a lot to work with there. Be sure to post a pic or two of what you come up with.

Mike Minto
05-08-2010, 7:45 PM
Cedar, much to my initial surprise, is excellent wood for turning. Do a search for William (Bill) Bolen - his stuff is inspiring!

Tony De Masi
05-08-2010, 7:46 PM
Nice score Brad. I have lots of the stuff here and it turns very well.

By the way, it's ready now if you are.

Tony

Steve Schlumpf
05-08-2010, 7:58 PM
Congrats on all the wood! Love the color! Looking forward to seeing what you turn out of it!

alex carey
05-08-2010, 8:32 PM
is it cedar or juniper? I've remember reading on some thread that there is a difference. Anyone know for sure?

Brad Vaughn
05-08-2010, 8:38 PM
is it cedar or juniper? I've remember reading on some thread that there is a difference. Anyone know for sure?

It smells like like cedar but I think it is juniper but one thing is it looks like it will turn nice. and it smells good!!!

Bernie Weishapl
05-09-2010, 12:06 AM
That is some good looking cedar. It will make your shop smell good when you turn it. I turn alot of cedar and it turns nicely.

Richard Madison
05-09-2010, 1:09 AM
Where are you geographically Brad?

My pickup automatically veers toward the sound of a strange chainsaw (that sounds different from the one behind the driver's seat). The wood looks similar to our local ash-juniper, which many folks call cedar, but the trunk is less convoluted than ours.

Karl Card
05-09-2010, 5:13 AM
after i got the tool from WC that has the 4 sided blade on it.. i invite any punky piece of cedar to my lathe... I absolutely love turning it and cedar also makes nice pens when striped with walnut also...