PDA

View Full Version : Tartans and Kilts and Haggis, Oh My!!

Belinda Barfield
05-08-2010, 5:45 PM
I spent a lovely day at the Savannah Scottish Games. The only thing better than a man in a kilt is lots of men in kilts tossing around trees. :D I watched Border Collies herd ducks (yes ducks), and sheep. I visited with my fellow clansman from Clan Donald, and I watched the athletic competitions. Only in Savannah will you find folks selling Haggis 'N Grits. What a great day!

150263 150264 150265 150266 150267 150268 150269

Mark Stutz
05-08-2010, 6:40 PM
I like grits, and I can eat haggis...but together? That's just not right!

Mark

Ray Bell
05-08-2010, 6:57 PM
Grits are fine with butter, sugar, and milk, but haggis...... I don't think so. Anyway, except for all the "men" running around in skirts, it sounds like fun. Are there a lot of Scotts in Georgia?

Belinda Barfield
05-08-2010, 7:36 PM
Are there a lot of Scotts in Georgia?
Oh yeah! Lots and lots.

Mitchell Andrus
05-08-2010, 7:48 PM
No goats?????

When I did parades with my Mummers band, we would often find a small heard of sheep and a collie darting around us as we marched and played.

The control that the dog had over the sheep, and the control the owner had over the dog was astounding.

Belinda Barfield
05-09-2010, 5:30 AM
No goats?????

No goats, just ducks and sheep. The dogs and the owner were pretty amazing. At one point when the owner/trainer was talking to the crowd the sheep started to stray. The dogs let them go a certain point and then one of them, without any commands, herded the sheep right back front and center.

Ducks seem to be a lot more stubborn and determined than sheep.

Rich Engelhardt
05-09-2010, 6:11 AM
Only in Savannah will you find folks selling Haggis 'N Grits.
:D

Thanks for that - !

I got a good belly laugh over that one :).

Belinda Barfield
05-09-2010, 8:23 AM
:D

Thanks for that - !

I got a good belly laugh over that one :).

You're welcome!

The athletic competitions at the event are pretty impressive. I can't imagine what it must be like to watch the athletes perform at a big gathering like the one held in North Carolina, or events in Scotland of course. The caber toss is my favorite. The last photo is of a participant preparing for the caber toss. It's a little difficult to tell that from the photo which sort of looks like a guy leaning against a telephone pole.

The event was held at the Bethesda Home for Boys which is located on the bank of Moon River (for you Johnny Mercer fans).

mike holden
05-09-2010, 5:25 PM
Belinda,
Just because it's you.

That's my wife to my right and my Mother-in-Law to my left. My MIL bought me the kilt(!), but as all good presents come with strings, I had to buy the rest of the outfit - she got the better bargain (grin)

Of course, I got my Wife!!! Best bargain - EVER!

Mike

Belinda Barfield
05-09-2010, 6:03 PM
Belinda,
Just because it's you.

That's my wife to my right and my Mother-in-Law to my left. My MIL bought me the kilt(!), but as all good presents come with strings, I had to buy the rest of the outfit - she got the better bargain (grin)

Of course, I got my Wife!!! Best bargain - EVER!

Mike

Lucky you, on all counts! Love the pic. Thanks for sharing.:)

Mitchell Andrus
05-09-2010, 6:22 PM
Kilts are good for the environment... less underwear to wash.

Do you do "it"?

Belinda Barfield
05-10-2010, 8:09 AM
Kilts are good for the environment... less underwear to wash.

Do you do "it"?

None of the guys participating in the games do "it" during the games. They may for the ceilidh (party) afterward.

Rick Prosser
05-10-2010, 9:01 AM
There is a pretty large games in Stone Mountain, GA. Nice venue with lots of participants. If you can get to the top of Stone Mountain when the massed bands play Amazing Grace - it sounds really impressive.

No trees, but I carry around a
few sticks from time to time.
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b205/reprosser/kilted/SidePIpe.jpg
Me in my family tartan (Muir)
Love grits - but Haggis...not so much.

Jim Myers
05-10-2010, 9:31 AM
Stone Mountain is a nice games to go to and I think it is better than Grandfather Mountain in NC as that one is way too crowded.

Blairsville is also a nice smaller game to attend.

My family has been attending them for around 14 years now.

Belinda Barfield
05-10-2010, 9:38 AM
There is a pretty large games in Stone Mountain, GA. Nice venue with lots of participants. If you can get to the top of Stone Mountain when the massed bands play Amazing Grace - it sounds really impressive.

No trees, but I carry around a
few sticks from time to time.

Me in my family tartan (Muir)
Love grits - but Haggis...not so much.

Awesome Rick, you're a piper! I can't imagine hearing Amazing Grace from the top of the mountain, I get chills when I hear it right in front of me.

Will you be going to the Charleston games in September? My clan is the honored clan at that event. I haven't been to the games in Charleston before so I don't know what kind of crowd to expect. I've heard from many people that the Stone Mountain games are really nice. I'll try to make it there next time.

A note about the Haggis, I found out late yesterday that it wasn't authentic. That's cheating!

Rick Prosser
05-10-2010, 2:32 PM
Awesome Rick, you're a piper! I can't imagine hearing Amazing Grace from the top of the mountain, I get chills when I hear it right in front of me.

Will you be going to the Charleston games in September? My clan is the honored clan at that event. I haven't been to the games in Charleston before so I don't know what kind of crowd to expect. I've heard from many people that the Stone Mountain games are really nice. I'll try to make it there next time.

A note about the Haggis, I found out late yesterday that it wasn't authentic. That's cheating!

Lots of pipers get tired of playing AG, but I still enjoy it. It sounds good when playing in the middle of massed band also - the last time I was at Stone Mtn, there were 700+ :eek: pipes and drums.

Not going to Charleston this year, but Palmetto Pipes and Drums should be there (I play with them when I can). Charleston should have a good crowd, but it will probably be hot and muggy. The venue is right next to the marsh. I have not been able to even practice since I bought my property and have been spending all my spare time getting it set up. Probably be another year before I can get back to my pipes:(. I miss all the games, but eventually will get to start enjoying them again.

I agree that Grandfather Mtn games is a bit crowded - and hard to get to. I like the smaller games too - there are more of them scattered around than you might think.

Michael MacDonald
05-10-2010, 2:48 PM
I have made a few sheep stomach's-worth of haggis in the past. It goes great with eggs and toast in the morning. The steel-cut oatmeal pops all over the place in the frying pan and provides some morning entertainment too. I am not that knowledgeable about grits--perhaps the sign was meant to indicate an either/or option...?

I have not been to a Highland Games in the past, but I know there are several in the Chicago area... I am inspired to make it happen this year. I think the kids would like it too.

BTW, a few years ago, I spend a few weeks in Scotland and made the trip through Skye and stayed at Kinloch Lodge--renowned for Claire Macdonald's menus. Not a haggis in sight, but a beautiful place.

Belinda Barfield
05-10-2010, 3:03 PM
Lots of pipers get tired of playing AG, but I still enjoy it. It sounds good when playing in the middle of massed band also - the last time I was at Stone Mtn, there were 700+ :eek: pipes and drums.

I'm sure that some songs get "old". Having played piano in the past I can recall playing "The Rose" at more weddings than I can count. I also played piano for a local nursing home's Thursday night service and we sang page 333 of the hymnal every single week.

I have made a few sheep stomach's-worth of haggis in the past. It goes great with eggs and toast in the morning. The steel-cut oatmeal pops all over the place in the frying pan and provides some morning entertainment too. I am not that knowledgeable about grits--perhaps the sign was meant to indicate an either/or option...?

I have not been to a Highland Games in the past, but I know there are several in the Chicago area... I am inspired to make it happen this year. I think the kids would like it too.

BTW, a few years ago, I spend a few weeks in Scotland and made the trip through Skye and stayed at Kinloch Lodge--renowned for Claire Macdonald's menus. Not a haggis in sight, but a beautiful place.

Nope, Haggis n' Grits was exactly what they were offering. I ran into a friend who had a plate, a large scoop of grits with a large scoop of Haggis on top. YUCK!!

Take the kids, they'll have a great time. Savannah has kids competitions, too. I envy you your trip to Scotland. There is a company that does walking tours and I'm saving up for a walking tour of Scotland and one of Ireland. Sadly, my pennies aren't piling up too quickly. :(

Hugh MacDonald
05-10-2010, 10:15 PM
Clan Donald: Ruler of the world.

Belinda Barfield
05-11-2010, 8:00 AM
Clan Donald: Ruler of the world.

Hello, Cousin. :)

Mike Cutler
05-11-2010, 12:04 PM
Clan Ogilvy checking in here.

Belinda
Trust me, you were better off that they cheated on the Haggis.

Belinda Barfield
05-11-2010, 1:16 PM
Clan Ogilvy checking in here.

Belinda
Trust me, you were better off that they cheated on the Haggis.

Mike, I guess my Scots blood must be rather diluted because I wouldn't touch Haggis with a 50 foot caber. LOL.

Bill Cunningham
05-11-2010, 9:10 PM
I love Haggis, and could listen to a good piper all day long.... My middle daughter was a piper with the local pipe and drum band for a few years, and would stand on our back deck and practice in the evening, and could be heard all over town (with no complaints:p). She hasn't played for a few years now, too busy with the kids, but she did pick up a chanter a while back and spends a few minutes every so often when she has the time. My father emigrated from Scotland in the late 20's / early 30's and my grandparents on my mothers side emigrated about 1900.. Through 'my' blood also runs some pretty fine Scotch at times :D

Belinda Barfield
05-12-2010, 8:41 AM
My Clan Donald ancestor emigrated to the US in 1765, so my blood is pretty diluted. I do have an appreciation for a good single malt though.

Bill Cunningham
05-13-2010, 11:04 PM
One nice thing about the computer age. Using Google earth I not only had a good look around the town where my father was born, but Street view took me right down to the front of the houses on that street.. Sadly, the area has been totally rebuilt, and the house number where he was born does not even exist anymore.. I sure that if he had lived to see this kind of technology, he would have been totally amazed..