PDA

View Full Version : One done!

Lee Schierer
11-19-2004, 1:08 PM
Here is an Ash serving tray I recently completed for a lady. The tray is one of the projects I need to finish before Christmas. The tray is made completely from ash. The sides are 3/4" thick, the bottom is two pieces bookmatched that were resawn and planed down to the 1/4" thickness I needed. All four sides of the tray are sloped 10 degrees. The finish is three coats of Minwax polyurethane, rubbed out with 0000 steel wool and paste wax. I used urethane because she wants the tray to match her kitchen cupboards which have yellowed after several years. The poly should do the same on this tray. I also made provisions on the back so she can hang the tray up on the wall when not in use.

Betsy Yocum
11-19-2004, 1:18 PM
Lee - the tray looks very nice. I'm sure your friend will like it very much.

One question - what brand of paste wax do you use and won't the damp cloth used to wipe the tray occassionally remove the wax? I've never used wax on a project like this because I was under the assumption that the wax would wear off fast.

Thanks - and how many more to go???? :p

Betsy

Alan Turner
11-19-2004, 1:24 PM
Very nice, clean design, and execution. What is the joinery at the corners?
Alan

Ted Shrader
11-19-2004, 1:38 PM
Lee -

Very nice. What sort of "provisions'" did you make on the back so she can hang it up?

Regards,
Ted

Jim Becker
11-19-2004, 1:41 PM
Very nice, Lee, and I like the bookmatch on the bottom.

Kurt Aebi
11-19-2004, 1:57 PM
Lee -

Another fine piece of work - ya done good!

Looks great, I have about 300 bd. ft. of ash and am always trying to find different projects to use it on. Nice idea!

Lee Schierer
11-19-2004, 4:12 PM
Okay some answers!

1. I use Johnson Paste wax and yes it wears off, but can essly be reapplied. I encourage people to occasionally apply some pledge or other furniture wax to the items I make. The poly will protect the wood.

2. The corner joints are rabbet joints, nothing fancy, they are just tilted 10 degrees each way.

3. The hanging provisions are simply a slot cut with a key hole bit into the lip on the back that holds the bottom in, without cutting into the bottom. You see just a small U shaped cut in the inside edge, but there is a larger U shaped cut under it to accept the head of a screw.

Jerry Olexa
11-19-2004, 4:17 PM
Looks good, Lee! Great job and idea!

Wes Newman
11-19-2004, 4:47 PM
Very nice Job. Sometimes simple clean lines are the best way to go.

Hal Flynt
11-19-2004, 5:24 PM
Looks great, but I didn't onow "Ash Trays" were Politically correct :p

Steve Beadle
11-19-2004, 7:52 PM
Looks great, but I didn't onow "Ash Trays" were Politically correct :p
That's a real groaner, Hal! :D
Nice job on the tray, Lee!

Steve Clardy
11-19-2004, 9:35 PM
Very nice Lee!!