PDA

View Full Version : water spots on carnauba wax

Don Meyer
05-08-2010, 4:20 PM
I went to a show today and had crappy weather it was raining sideways. I have a bunch of bowls that got wet and have a lot of water spots on them. I finished them with the Beall buffing system and I am wondering what do I have to do to get rid of the water spots.Can I just rebuff them with carnauba wax or do I have to go through all 3 of the grits to eliminate the water spots?

Bernie Weishapl
05-08-2010, 6:03 PM
Don that is one of the reason's besides finger prints that I threw my carnuba wax out. I now use Renaissance Wax on all my pieces including pens. Haven't had a problem. I did exactly what you said and started buffing again from Tripoli, to WD and then to Ren wax.

Allen Neighbors
05-08-2010, 6:32 PM
Like Bernie said, Re-buff with Tripoli, White Diamond, and Wax.

Bernie? Does Renaissance Wax not water spot? Curious about that....

Steve Schlumpf
05-08-2010, 8:10 PM
Had the same problem - rebuffed with the white diamond and then used Renaissance Wax. Will not go back to using the carnuba wax!

Allen - Renaissance Wax does not show finger prints or water spots - at least that has been my experience. It is expensive - and an alternative is the Conservators Wax sold at Lee Valley. Seems to be the same stuff - just a lot cheaper: http://www.leevalley.com/us/wood/page.aspx?c=&cat=1,190,42950&p=20090

Don Meyer
05-09-2010, 10:29 AM
Thanks for the advice guys. I couldn't respond earlier because of the power outages that occurred last night due to high winds and storms. Is the Ren wax safe for food contact since I believe it is a petroleum based product? Do I have to get a new buffing wheel to use the ren wax or is there a way to clean the ones I have been using? Thanks in advance.

steven carter
05-10-2010, 2:12 PM
Don,

When I switched from carnuba to renaissance wax, I just took a piece of scrap and buffed with the carnuba wheel until I quit getting wax off. I have since used it with renaissance with no problems. You will love the renaissance, it seems expensive, but it only takes a small amount. I have used a can of the larger size for a couple of years, and have only used about a third of the can.

Steve

Bernie Weishapl
05-10-2010, 2:14 PM
Looks like Steve got it for you Allen. It does not show fingerprints or water spots.

Don I don't use Ren wax on Utility products that will come in contact with food. I use mostly antique oil or walnut oil. Also on your wheel I did like Steven did. Took a old spindle piece with edges still square. I ran this across the buffing wheel till I figured it was clean.