PDA

View Full Version : Fired up the new Grizzly G0514X2B BS today

Bill Wyko
05-08-2010, 3:56 PM
Got it in yesterday. Put it together. I needed to resaw some 8" wide soft maple. The blade it came with is a general purpose blade so resawing wasn't going to happen with that blade. I got a hold of Eric, my BIL, he was kind enough to sell me one of his carbide 1 TPI blades. (I call it snagletooth) It was simple to put on and dial in. I found that the push bearing on the bottom of the table has a little vernier to move the bearing forward and backward for adjustment. Another great feature of the Grizzly. I didn't even align the blade with the fence, I just started cutting. The pieces cut perfectly. So far, I'm very impressed with this machine. I can't find anything I can fault on it. I really do believe this is the most BS you can get for your money. Next....a new tablesaw.:D
http://pic80.picturetrail.com/VOL2109/11908737/22120304/386882696.jpg
http://pic80.picturetrail.com/VOL2109/11908737/22120304/386882699.jpg

Gary Kvasnicka
05-08-2010, 5:24 PM
Congrats Bill, I found my G0514x2 to be easy to set up as well. How do you like the blade brake? From the pics it looks like you could use to improve the dust collection.:D
Enjoy the new toy...eh I mean bandsaw.

Bill Wyko
05-08-2010, 5:36 PM
I need to plumb my DC over to it. I love that brake. I wanted my employees to have the safest tool as well as a quality tool. Bandsaws can be a quiet disaster when shut off. The spinning wheels can be silent and still take off a finger. Not an issue with this machine. It was worth the extra 100 bucks IMHO.

Brendan Plavis
05-08-2010, 5:59 PM
I concur about the dangers of a shutting down bandsaw.... People are definately going to yell at me, but I usually take two scrap pieces and clamp down on the blade to stop it, so I dont have to worry about accidently putting my hand into it(almost did that once last week... I decided I would rather ruin the blade than my hand(they are cheap $5 blades, if it were those $200 carbide tooth blades... that that would be another story.. :eek:)

Van Huskey
05-09-2010, 10:06 PM
I need to plumb my DC over to it. I love that brake. I wanted my employees to have the safest tool as well as a quality tool. Bandsaws can be a quiet disaster when shut off. The spinning wheels can be silent and still take off a finger. Not an issue with this machine. It was worth the extra 100 bucks IMHO.

With ear protection I submit they are dangerous running as well!

I have never understood the advantage of a motor brake (outside a huge saw with wheels in the 100lb+ range) since I think it is more intuative and quicker to use a foot brake, plus you never have to move your hands and can hit it from the back of the table which I find myself working from a lot. Maybe I am missing something?

PS I think you are right in the most saw for the money category!

Bill Wyko
05-10-2010, 2:58 PM
A little mistake I made once that could have turned into a disaster. I was using a pencil as a push stick but I was holding it at a steep angle and the guide was too high. I felt the wind from the blade on my hand. I looked and the blade was about 1/2 inch from my hand. One of those cases where I got too comfortable with the tool. Another reason to get all the saftey features available I guess.

Brendan Plavis
05-10-2010, 4:14 PM
I always feel the wind on my BS..... And oddly enough, I am ususally atleast 1inch away. The guard is usually close(if I am making rapid cuts, sometimes I might leave it up, if its only >1inch....)

Although, not to offend anyone, but I think that if you watch what you are doing, then you shouldnt need the added safety features. For a hundred years men have used these types of saws, and they never had a major issue(I mean above major, since Injury is usually high in this hobby/line of work.)

Van Huskey
05-10-2010, 5:27 PM
A little mistake I made once that could have turned into a disaster. I was using a pencil as a push stick but I was holding it at a steep angle and the guide was too high. I felt the wind from the blade on my hand. I looked and the blade was about 1/2 inch from my hand. One of those cases where I got too comfortable with the tool. Another reason to get all the saftey features available I guess.

Comfort is our biggest anti-safety device!

Jay Jolliffe
05-10-2010, 5:37 PM
Nice saw. I have the same without the break. I don't know if you will use a 1/4" blade on it . I can't use it on mine. When I tension the blade it rides off the tires on both top & bottom. All other blades work fine. No body can tell me why.

Bill Wyko
05-11-2010, 12:02 AM
Have you contacted Grizzly? My BIL has the same saw as me and has been using a 1/4" since he got it. You might take a long straight edge that will reach beyond the top and bottom wheel then measure to see if the wheels are parallel.