PDA

View Full Version : Help identifying a lathe

William Powell
05-08-2010, 12:58 PM
This is part of an image I downloaded of an estate auction happening next week. What do I see here? I see a tail stock, rails and such but it looks like an outboard turning head or something instead of a proper head stock. Does anyone know what lathe this might be?
Thanks

Mike Willeson
05-08-2010, 1:30 PM
Hard to tell with that size of a picture. Could be an older Delta. The bed looks like it is a gap bed where the area just to the inside of the headstock is deeper for turning bowls, etc. Some older Delta's also had their motor tucked up tight like that.

The plate on the outside may be a faceplate screwed to the outer threading on the spindle (left hand thread). That could be used for larger turnings or sanding attachments or possibly buffing with the right attachments.

I would check it out. Might be worth a look if it's not too far away. Those older Deltas can be good lathes if they have been taken care of. If auction turnout is low, you may get a good lathe at a reasonable price.

Bernie Weishapl
05-08-2010, 6:07 PM
I agree with Mike that it does look like a older Delta. It looks something like the one my friend had. On his he put a large faceplate on so he would have a handwheel. Not a bad lathe.

William Powell
05-09-2010, 8:58 AM
Thanks guys. I'm posting a larger image but it probably won't help. If something doesn't change I'll take a look Tuesday.

Mike Willeson
05-09-2010, 9:49 PM
Sorry....the larger is no better. Hopefully no one else in your area can see the picture either and it will be just you bidding on a sweet old lathe.

William Powell
05-12-2010, 7:28 AM
It turned out to be a Rockwell Delta 4 speed home shop type lathe. It only had a spur point with it. Good shape, I guess, but I didn't think it worth waiting all day for a chance to bid on it. The HF 34706 for 200 new is looking better all the time. And no, I don't wish to spend much more.
Thanks

John Keeton
05-12-2010, 7:33 AM
William, I had the 34706, and can certainly recommend it! In that price range, I don't believe there is anything competitive out there. It is 1"x8tpi, so many accessories can be used on other lathes - in my case, the Delta Midi. If you catch it on sale, and use a 20% coupon, it comes in at $183, plus tax.