PDA

View Full Version : The ultimate sanding pad!

John Keeton
05-08-2010, 12:29 PM
I am working on a hollow form with an entry opening of 1.5". As small as my hands are, I can only get one finger in this form and have any room to move. On the lidded pieces I have done, the rough opening was larger, and I could hold a piece of sandpaper between two fingers and do a fair job of inside sanding.

Ms. Keeton is a multi-talented crafter/quilter/master of many arts - and, she has the "inventory" to back it up! Makes my wood supply seem somewhat deficient.:o

I told her I needed something flexible on which I could double-stick some sandpaper to finish the inside of the form. She went into the "secret storage area" and presented me with some hot glue sticks. Seemed like they would work......won't even have to use double-stick!

When I started to attach the sandpaper - that is when it hit me!
Sandpaper!
Hot Glue!
Tool!

Before I get everyone shouting at me that it is dangerous to put one's fingers in a spinning form, let me acknowledge I know all about those dangers. But, I have found with using two fingers, at 250 rpm, I can safely manipulate the sandpaper, but it is difficult to tell how one is doing.

Using only one finger, and with direct contact along the length of my finger, I had incredible control. I could feel every little ridge, and sanding through to 400, I was able to get the inside as smooth as silk!

My apologies if I have offended any proctologists!:D

There is a learning curve here - and, that is "when do I stick my flesh on that hot glue?!???!?!?":eek:

But, motivation to get it right the first time is pretty high here!:D

I have found that the HSA (new term - Heat Sensitive Adhesive;)) will remain affixed just about long enough to wear down a piece of paper. It finally comes loose on its own.

Bernie Weishapl
05-08-2010, 12:35 PM
Never even thought of hot glue. I use double stick tape which works fairly good. Have to give that a try.

alex carey
05-08-2010, 12:41 PM
ive never used glue but I do use my finger, i didn't even know it was considered dangerous, perhaps if there were voids I would but I've never had a problem using my finger. The right amount of pressure will keep the sandpaper on your finger, course every now and then it does fall off, glue might not be a bad idea.

Curt Fuller
05-08-2010, 1:00 PM
John, you must be more of a man than me. I've accidentally dripped hot glue on my fingers a few times and cried like a little girl after screaming and jumping around the shop. You must be pretty tough to intentionally use it on your finger.

Seriously though, if you let the glue cool a little I think that's an ingenious idea for one finger sanding on the inside.

John Keeton
05-08-2010, 1:22 PM
John, you must be more of a man than me. I've accidentally dripped hot glue on my fingers a few times and cried like a little girl after screaming and jumping around the shop. You must be pretty tough to intentionally use it on your finger.

Seriously though, if you let the glue cool a little I think that's an ingenious idea for one finger sanding on the inside.Curt, the key is timing - letting the glue cool JUST enough to adhere well, yet not enough to make your toes curl up then you press it on!!:D I also found that running the glue all the way to the end, and wrapping the paper over the tip of my finger helped a lot in the far inside of the form.

Jim Silva
05-08-2010, 1:51 PM
You can use rubber cement also.
Wipe on back of sandpaper and then on finger. Wait half a min then stick 'em together. Stays put, won't leave a residue on the wood if you accidentally rub against the wood with the rubber cement like the hot glue will and has the added bonus of not burning your finger.

Peels off easily when done.

Jim

Doug W Swanson
05-08-2010, 2:09 PM
Maybe next time you could put different grits on each finger and cut down on the sanding time!

Nice idea!

Doug

Joseph M Lary
05-08-2010, 2:11 PM
You need to check out" the sanding glove" . Its a sand paper and turning tool web site .

bob svoboda
05-08-2010, 2:37 PM

I hope to never see my doctor gluing sandpaper to his exam glove:eek:

Good idea for a turner though.

Jim Underwood
05-08-2010, 2:50 PM
Yep, ya gotta watch out for that hot glue... If you work on edgebanders you know you should just have a bucket of cold water nearby. If you don't the first thing you do when you get hot glue on a hand is to try to peel it off with the other. When that spreads the pain, you quickly try to wipe it on your pants, and that just makes it worse. And let me tell you, sticking in your mouth to cool it off doesn't work any better than the other solutions.....:eek:

Bob Boettcher
05-08-2010, 3:38 PM
My solution for finger sanding is to stick a piece of sticky back velcro hook material on the finger of a leather glove. Now I can use small pieces of loop back sandpaper, and run up through the grits. No heat, no stickies.
My favorite is to use the small pieces of Abranet abrasive screen left over from converting 3" disks to 2" disks. I love the way this product works.
Note: I don't typically use this in hollow form sanding, mostly precision work in mor open forms.

Bob

David E Keller
05-08-2010, 5:59 PM
John, if you would just pay your bill, I'm sure your proctologist would stop using the sandpaper.:D

Jerry Marcantel
05-08-2010, 6:34 PM
Everyone, why not just use sticky backed sandpaper.. No wainting on cool down, no waiting for dry time, no fuss no muss..... Jerry (in Tucson)

Curt Fuller
05-08-2010, 9:37 PM

I hope to never see my doctor gluing sandpaper to his exam glove:eek:

Good idea for a turner though.

Now that you mention it, last time I went in to have my oil checked I think the doc did have sandpaper glued to his finger.

Norris Randall
05-08-2010, 9:58 PM
Since this thread has two subject now,
What about the guy that said "Wow Doc why two fingers?"

Doc said; " In case you want a second opinion"

John Keeton
05-08-2010, 10:09 PM
Thanks, guys!! I just called and cancelled my annual checkup!!:eek::D

Karl Card
05-09-2010, 5:19 AM
who needs tv when we have threads like this that cover just about everything...everything we need to know...lol

Rob Holcomb
05-09-2010, 8:59 AM
Spray adhesive works too. Found in most craft stores but since my ROS uses PSA, I just use pieces of the sandpaper I have for that if I need a small piece that won't move off my finger

Steve Kubien
05-09-2010, 10:52 PM
Sorry, no chance in h*ll I'm sticking a finger in a spinning hollowform unless it is going under 10 rpm's. I do not believe it is a question of "if" you will get hurt but a matter of "when". Kids, do not try this at home.

Here's a much safer alternative... Get a pair of curved hemostats (sp), a piece of 1/2" foam padding like that used under sleeping bags when camping. Cut off a piece, oh, 1" wide and 2" long (or thereabouts). Wrap your sandpaper around that and hold the lot in the hemostats.

Sorry, just my opinion here.

Respectfully,
Steve

Bob Bergstrom
05-10-2010, 11:02 AM
+1 here. I have a good friend and well known professional turner who used his finger inside a closed form. A trip to the ER and a month of trying to work without the use of that finger made him a believer. Think of it as your mother once told you about not putting anything smaller than your elbow in your ear. It will happen and the time and expense aren't worth it.