PDA

View Full Version : How to remove the hand wheel on a Conover lathe?

Wilbur Pan
05-08-2010, 11:56 AM
I have a Conover lathe and would like to get to the bearings to regrease/replace them. I'm stymied by one thing: I can't get the hand wheel off to remove the spindle. I'm talking about the wooden hand wheel to the left side of the headstock.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3260/2896248554_3ba376ec4b.jpg

I think that it screws onto the spindle, and is just stuck, but I'd like to know for sure before I start breaking out the big can of whoop-butt.

Does anyone know for sure how this hand wheel goes on the lathe?

Thanks!

John Keeton
05-08-2010, 12:33 PM
Wilbur, I usually ask this type question AFTER I have attempted removal with a sledge and crowbar! Of course, asking first seems to be a more developed plan!:D

Wilbur Pan
05-08-2010, 4:01 PM
Hi John,

As it turned out, the hand wheel is screwed on with a left hand (reverse) thread. I had been trying to get it off by turning the hand wheel clockwise, so I was on the right track. It seems that all I needed to do was to let the Liquid Wrench soak for a longer period of time, and it eventually came off.

Thanks!

By the way, are you ready for that 24" swing lathe yet? You know you want one. ;)

John Keeton
05-08-2010, 4:34 PM
Wilbur, so far the only thing beyond my Delta capacity that interests me are the platters Doug Fisher does. But, I am guessing it will be many decades before my skill level would even come close to that - and I don't have "many decades!!";)

Bernie Weishapl
05-08-2010, 6:00 PM
Wilbur glad you didn't have the open the can. I was afraid of what might happen.:eek::D;):rolleyes:

Don't let John fool ya Wilbur. He could get the PM 4224 today or the 2436 Oneway and be doing the platters tomorrow.:p:D:rolleyes:

Jeff Willard
05-08-2010, 6:58 PM
Whew! I was afraid that I was the lone Conover owner here. Now I don't feel so isolated:D.