PDA

View Full Version : Question about "Woodworking in America" Conference

Andrew Pitonyak
05-08-2010, 8:36 AM
I decided that I will take a day off work and go to the Woodworking in America conference. They have many classes that I really want to attend

http://woodworkinginamerica.com/classes/

Never having attended one of these, I have some questions:

*** Do you pre-register for the classes that you desire?

*** Classes run every hour, but, they say something about practice. I assume that this means that if take a class from 8-9, then I will be practicing after 9 so I will not then take a class from 9-10.

Note that I am really looking forward to the hands-on portion, especially in the "rough to finished", saw sharpening, dovetails, tenon, etc... classes.

I should probably pick up a "practice" saw for the sharpening classes.

I noticed that some of our contributors will be there; for example, Brese from Brese planes.

I tried to register yesterday (May 7), but, it looks like the register link is not yet ready.

mike holden
05-08-2010, 9:02 AM
When the register link becomes active, then the class schedule will be set and it will be obvious what classes you can take and which conflict.
Do not put much faith in the times out there till the registration is open.

BTW, have you reserved your room yet? The link from the registration site to the rooms *IS* open.

See you there,
Mike

Andrew Pitonyak
05-08-2010, 9:10 AM
I have not yet reserved a room... I should do that. I want to stay in the adjacent hotel so that I can quickly get back to my room if I want to swap out tools for different classes.

Mike, you look like you are pretty far north in Michigan. Will you drive down? I am lucky that I am only a few hours out (Columbus, Ohio)

See ya there.

George Clark
05-08-2010, 10:06 AM
Good Luck. I wanted to stay there also. The conference rooms were sold out by early afternoon on the day reservations opened.:(:(:(

Andrew Pitonyak
05-08-2010, 10:38 AM
Good Luck. I wanted to stay there also. The conference rooms were sold out by early afternoon on the day reservations opened.:(:(:(
I just booked a room at Cincinnati Marriott at RiverCenter, the most expensive option. I have check-in Thursday and check-out Sunday. I took the two double beds option. They are sold out for Sunday night, however.

mike holden
05-08-2010, 2:51 PM
Andrew,
Currently planning on driving down, my GPS planner says it's 300 miles and 4 1/2 hours (hah!), so I figure on 300 miles and six hours (grin).
Will come down Thursday and go home Monday with a stop in Dayton for the AF Museum and possibly in Wapokoneta for the space museum.

As we get closer, we should poll the creek and see about meeting up somewhere during the weekend.

Mike

George Clark
05-08-2010, 4:05 PM
Andrew,

I stand corrected. I was just able to reserve 2 rooms for 3 nights at the Cincinnati Marriott at RiverCenter. :D I tried earlier and was unable to get rooms at this hotel. I'm glad I responded to your post even though I was incorrect.

George

Megan Fitzpatrick
05-08-2010, 8:11 PM
Andrew,
I'm going to have a blog post up on Monday (PopWood blog) about how the classes work - but in short, yes, you pre-register, just so we know how many people to expect in a given room at a given session - but you're not locked into that schedule; you can move freely among classes. Formal session are about 50 minutes (the "classes") followed by a 50 minute (or so) hands-on session with the instructor and his expert helpers. You can stay for the hands-on and try out what you've just learned, or go to a new class - entirely up to you! We'll have benches in every room and at least a few relevant tools to the classes being taught therein - but for, example, the saw sharpening classes, you might want to bring your own saw and practice on it...that way you leave with a sharp saw! Same with plane blades, etc.
Hope that helps!
Megan

Mike Siemsen
05-08-2010, 8:34 PM
Meghan,
Is the Hotel registration up and running? The link you put up earlier says there are no rooms at the Marriot River center. If that is the case will you be adding more rooms to the block or should I look at the other hotels?
Mike

Megan Fitzpatrick
05-08-2010, 9:02 PM
Hi Mike,
My understanding is that the Marriott RiverCenter sold out, then Thursday, they opened another block of rooms for us. I just checked the hotel reg site, and it looks as if rooms are available at all three hotels with which we've set up special rates. If you're having trouble, e-mail me (fwmedia) and I'll sort it out (or try to)
Megan

Josh Rudolph
05-08-2010, 9:40 PM
For those who have attended in the past. There are some tools I am looking to purchase over the next year or so. I know that I can get most if not all of them at the show. Do you know if most vendors give any type of show discount? This will also help me in deciding whether to buy at the next LN hand tool event or wait for the conference.

Thanks,
Josh

Andrew Pitonyak
05-08-2010, 10:19 PM
... you pre-register, just so we know how many people to expect in a given room at a given session - ... Formal session are about 50 minutes (the "classes") followed by a 50 minute (or so) hands-on session with the instructor and his expert helpers.

Thanks Megan, this is very helpful for me to know.

Andrew Pitonyak
05-08-2010, 10:22 PM
I'm glad I responded to your post even though I was incorrect.
I am also glad that you responded, because, this prompted me to move now to reserve a room rather than wait...

With two beds, my wife and two children can accompany if desired, but, I expect that they would be uncertain about what to do while I was at the show.

Andrew Pitonyak
05-08-2010, 10:27 PM
Andrew,
Currently planning on driving down, my GPS planner says it's 300 miles and 4 1/2 hours (hah!), so I figure on 300 miles and six hours (grin).
Will come down Thursday and go home Monday with a stop in Dayton for the AF Museum and possibly in Wapokoneta for the space museum.

As we get closer, we should poll the creek and see about meeting up somewhere during the weekend.
I have been to the AF Museum a few times. It is really nice if you like that sort of thing... So, if you do, it is really worth a stop. It is easy to spend the entire day there.

I agree that we should run a poll before hand to see if we can all meet somehow. Depending on how I travel (with or without family), might check to see if someone needs a ride.

Leigh Betsch
05-08-2010, 11:04 PM
Gosh this sounds like a lot of fun. But I gotta check the schedule, might be antelope season, and if you've ever eaten antelope you wouldn't miss it for all the dovetails in the world.

joseph quijas
05-09-2010, 12:06 AM
second that on the tool discount; do any of the vendors give any deals on items (i.e. on sunday in order to not have to ship back stuff)?
Thanks
Joseph

John Keeton
05-09-2010, 8:26 AM
At previous WIA conferences, the typical show discount is 10-15%, and free shipping. I purchased several LV items at last years in Chicago. LN had a similar deal going, I believe, as did some other vendors.

Mike Brady
05-10-2010, 11:46 AM
I hope that what John says is the case for most of the vendors. I can tell you that Lie-Nielsen has not been giving anything but free shipping at their hand tool events and at the last WIA. Prices remain the published prices. It would be a(pleasant) surprise if they changed that for the Oct. WIA. Sorry to disappoint.

Andrew Pitonyak
05-13-2010, 10:57 PM
And I just registered! This should be fun!

mike holden
05-14-2010, 8:46 AM
Andrew,
"I have been to the AF Museum a few times. It is really nice if you like that sort of thing..."
The Air Force museum is kind of a "must" stop for me, my mother's picture is in there.
She was an engineer that helped design the D-Day gliders, her picture is the back of a display case near the glider hanging from the ceiling. The pic is of a Colonel and six women, only the Colonel is identified by name (typical of military, isn't it), however, I have a copy of the print with everyones signature on it.
It is the closest my family has come to being famous, so stopping at the museum is a "must" for me.
Mike

Yes, this is a stealth gloat, grin!

Andrew Pitonyak
05-14-2010, 9:03 AM
I have been to the AF museum in Dayton many times.... I think that it is a high priority destination as well. It is difficult to see everything in one day. So you have a famous Mother... excellent... :D

BTW, I grew up in Rochester and my God Parents (aunt and uncle) live in Shelby Township (just around the corner from you). He is the only family member that does any wood working. Wish he lived closer. He has equipment and experience that I lack. Sent him an email and told him to go to the conference and share a room with me, will likely not bring the family.