PDA

View Full Version : Lab Rats

Tyler Howell
11-19-2004, 11:19 AM
Last night was the last of 10 Unplugged Woodshop classes I've been sharing with you.
For our last assignment: I/2 Blind, Hand Cut Dovetails.
It was only a few minutes into the class when Tom revealed this would be the world premier for this technique of teaching DT. Tom also shared he's been "experimenting" with other teaching techniques which I think were a big success through out the class. We have been unknowingly guinea pigs and lab rats for the past ten weeks.
He is tasked with teaching progressively complex skills to a diverse group, (mostly older guys) who have worked all day and it's past their bed time.
As it was new, interesting, and very easy to follow his procedure is also the topic of a coming article on teaching this skill. I'll just say that he uses traditional measuring and WW tools with very simple jigs made from wood and playing cards to setup and cut an accurate dovetail. There is still a skill level involved that will come in time.
As I've said in the past threads, I look at all my WW projects differently now. I'll be signing up for more of Tom's and other classes.

I tell my students "practice makes permanent" so I'll be butchering a lot of wood scrap to master this skill.
Thanks for looking

Mark Singer
11-19-2004, 12:03 PM
Tyler ,

Great work, half blindes are hard to do ....really great job! Through dovetails are much easier.

Louis Bois
11-19-2004, 12:04 PM
Tyler,

You've got the right attitude with regards to this whole complicated thing we call, "taking away the stuff you don't need from a tree to make something that's useful and purdy".

It's nice to see a fellow woodworker's progress in new areas of mastery/discipline. You're growing in leaps and bounds and will no doubt be amazed at the progress that is achievable in short periods of time. I commend your efforts in this new learning curve and wish you continued success!

Keep us posted with your progress...as inspiration can be found in many forms...but especially in like-minded individuals' enlightenment.

Dennis McDonaugh
11-19-2004, 1:34 PM
Tyler ,

Great work, half blindes are hard to do ....really great job! Through dovetails are much easier.

Mark, I have an easier time making "presentable" half-blind dovetails than through dovetails. The half-blind take longer, but I only have to really worry about tight fit in one dimension. The through dovetails have to fit tight on both the side and end of the dovetail.

Roy Wall
11-19-2004, 2:01 PM
Tyler,

Your wit and enthusiasm are a pleasure!! One of these days I'm gonna drive up to Minn. and shake your hand:)

Well done!!!

Jim Becker
11-19-2004, 2:36 PM
Whoo-hoo! I'm impressed...like Mark said, HB are harder to do than through...and I find that through are hard!! :D

Donnie Raines
11-19-2004, 2:44 PM
Hey T,

Did he show you how to "fix" your joints if they are not seamless??? :cool:

If he did'nt...I cant tell you.... :D

Scott Parks
11-19-2004, 6:12 PM
Tyler,

Nice, I really appreciate hand cout DT's. Can you share what you are doing with the 9-of-diamonds?

Michael Stafford
11-19-2004, 8:57 PM
Congratulations, Mr. Howell, you are well on your way to being a highly skilled craftsman. I envy you.

One thing I don't quite understand in the process though. How many hands of Texas Hold'em do you guys play in between each paring stroke with a chisel? :eek: :p :D

I'm sure there is a perfectly logical explanation for the playing cards, something like using them for shims or measuring thicknesses or something like that...