PDA

View Full Version : very thin acrylic?

David Fairfield
05-08-2010, 7:53 AM
I'm looking for a source for clear acrylic thinner than .06" (1/16th") which seems to be the thinnest stock. Is there a thinner grade commercially available?

Thanks as always! :)

Dave

Andrea Weissenseel
05-08-2010, 8:10 AM
I have 0.25 mm here which is 10 mil - since I'm located in Germany I can't give you a source though :(

Rodne Gold
05-08-2010, 2:21 PM
Very thin acrylic is also extremely fragile , it breaks real easy - you get 1mm at the thinnest (1/25th inch) The thinner stuff is also pretty pricey - much more expensive than stock 1/8th
Try using PETG - cuts like a charm , isnt fragile , is cheap and comes real thin.

greg lindsey
05-08-2010, 10:25 PM
I agree with Rodne, PETG is the way to go. When the US Forest Service came to me looking for hangers for the parks passes, we did test on over 30 different materials, the only one that truly stayed clear and didn't warp in the sun was PETG, *note* could not be layed directly on the dash of a car. I ended up making 275,000 of these, good money but glad when that run ended.

Larry Bratton
05-09-2010, 7:04 PM
Don't suppose mylar would work for you? http://www.grafixplastics.com/laserpro.asp

Kevin Groenke
05-09-2010, 7:47 PM
What about commonly available as transparency sheets? ~$.20 per 8-1/2x11 sheet. These cut like butter, we use them for modeling glazing and also for making masks for IC manufacturing. Thicknesses vary from .004"-.006". A bit of research indicates that these are polyester aka: Mylar, boPET... may be closely related to PETG.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PET_film_%28biaxially_oriented%29

Joe Pelonio
05-09-2010, 10:15 PM
I have cut paper thin acrylic before, it will break easily between your thumb and forefinger but in those cases it was provided by the customers, usually for custom car dash indicator light use. This place has it from .01 up.

www opticalpolymers com

Richard Rumancik
05-10-2010, 12:18 PM
David, you can also ask IPI or Rowmark if they will supply clear acrylic in thin gauges. Although they may not list it in their standard product list, they do have it to make their laminated and reverse-engraved materials. I recall Rowmark telling me they will sell it - worth a try. I'm not sure what thicknesses are available.

Steffen Heidemann
06-02-2010, 6:40 PM
Andrea, may i ask for your source? I just opened a thread looking for a usuable thin plastic to diffuse a light source. Had PMMA in mind, but could not find it thin enough. Min. was 0.75mm if i remember correctly. Is it only available in clear or also in matte/satin? It probably cracks to easy, but i'd be glad to possibly get my hands on a sample sheet from the company you ordered it from. Steffen