PDA

View Full Version : New to me bandsaw

Doug Carpenter
05-08-2010, 7:11 AM
Okay, so I bought this off of CL. It was purchased in 91. It has been sitting in a garage unused for the last 8 years. The former owner passed away.

Fortunately the last time it was used he took the tensoin off the blade. Outside of a little rust it seems like an okay tool. The tires where crispy so I bought some new tires from Carter.

I was comparing it to a new model. One thing I noticed right off the bat was the dust collection port is much smaller and in a different location than the new one.

I haven't used it yet because I am still cleaning it. I don't know that much about Bandsaws so I don't know if it is a good one or not. I got it for $125. I thought that was a good buy but now I'm not totally sure. It was in my budget and I figure if it doesn't do what I need it to do I can always sell it and upgrade.

Bob Vallaster
05-08-2010, 7:38 AM
Sounds like a good deal for a low-mileage bandsaw.
There are several books on the mysteries of the bandsaw (Mark Duginske's is one). And a vintage article in FWW magazine serves as a primer for tuneup.
You can fabricate the missing throat plate from wood, plastic or aluminum...or buy.
The tapered pin which fits in the table edge should be replaced.
Tires might be dry from age, but I'd run what you have if they look sound.
If the factory fence didn't come with, you can make do with a clamped board...
Others will chime in shortly.
Rest easy. This should serve you well and return your money come resale time.

BobV

Rob Woodman
05-08-2010, 8:02 AM
If the tapered pin is the one that keeps the two sides of the table in a flat plane (either side of the slot for installing blades) then it is a must!
Other than that.. get using it:D Learn it's ways and then plan improvements as required. Jet tools I have used have always performed well, often above my expectations for their price range.:)
Enjoy.

george wilson
05-08-2010, 8:20 AM
If you have no lathe,the little tapered pin for keeping the table in alignment could be made by chucking a piece of about 1/4" steel or brass in your drill press,and filing it to a taper. Even with only a wood lathe,you can turn some steel or especially brass with sharp wood turning chisels if you have a chuck that screws onto the spindle.

Doug Carpenter
05-08-2010, 10:48 AM
Wow, you guys are observant.

I have all the peices including the owners manual. I just hadn't put them in the picture.

I did buy some carter zero clearance inserts. I hope to get it ruuning today to try it out.

Van Huskey
05-08-2010, 12:39 PM
Looks like a good deal. Also, grab a decent new blade, trying to tune a saw with a old/dull/rusted etc blade can be a exercise in futility.

Doug Carpenter
05-08-2010, 2:24 PM
I did have a blade on it that looks ok ..... but I don't know what I'm looking at. Also there was a Rigid blade still in the package. It says 1/2" .020" 4 TPI.

Should I be safe and tune it with the new one?

The old one has some surface rust on it.

Those uerathane tires were so much money I don't want to mess them up:o

G. Brad Schmidt
05-08-2010, 2:42 PM
That's a nice little find with a good price to boot Doug. After getting the superficial stuff in order you might want to give her an all around "fine tuning".
FWW has a comprehensive article to accomplish just that...

Bandsaw Tune-up (http://www.box.net/shared/6bvq82rtvn)

http://www.clicksmilies.com/auswahl/ernaehrung004.gif (http://www.clicksmilies.com/s1106/ernaehrung/food-drink-smilies.html)

Doug Carpenter
05-08-2010, 3:18 PM
Thanks, G.

The owners manual packet had a tune up aritcle the previous owner copied from an october 95 issue of wood magazine.

I like your file better, thanks.

I have been cleaning off rust. There isn't too much. I got it all off of the table and I repainted the underside just for kicks.

The rest of it is in nice shape. The owner was very organized based on his garage. He even taped the blade info on the side of the machine. I am removing the scotch tape.

The next machine I need is a belt / disc sander. if this bandsaw works ok then I will buy a new combo machine.

Thanks for the info guys.

Doug Carpenter
05-08-2010, 3:36 PM
Oh oh!

we spoke to soon. The tension assembly is cracked.:(

Now what?

Andrew Nemeth
05-08-2010, 3:59 PM
I believe this a realativly common problem and the parts should be available. IIRC there was a thread on here (or another forum) discussing this issue on an Delta or clone and the part was reasonably priced. Actually, now that I'm really thinking about it, it might have been a Jet and the recommendation was to replace with a Powermatic part that was interchangable but beefier. I'm sure someone will confirm or correct this info soon.

Another idea might be to buy one of the aftermarket quick release levers if they come with that part.

At any rate, it still should be a good saw for you at a reasonable price.

Good luck,
Andrew

Doug Carpenter
05-08-2010, 4:13 PM
I found the part on Jet's website but it is out of stock. It ii only 35 bucks.

I had the same idea about the quick release thing but I can't tell if it comes with it and it is $179

I'll check powermatic.

Any info would be appreciated

Andrew Joiner
05-08-2010, 5:20 PM
. It has been sitting in a garage unused for the last 8 years. The former owner passed away.

Thanks for tip,I'll be sure and use my bandsaw more before I die!:)

Doug Carpenter
05-11-2010, 8:44 AM
I ordered a new sliding bracket from Jet yesterday. It is going to be the end of june before it comes in!:(

I wonder if I should have bought two.

John Thompson
05-11-2010, 9:50 AM
Wouldn't be a bad idea as that was a problem with the early Jets. I have never broken mine yet but I did buy a replacement way back when before I added an 18" BS but kept the Jet for curves.

Good luck...

Charles Cannon
05-11-2010, 6:24 PM
I believe this a realativly common problem and the parts should be available. IIRC there was a thread on here (or another forum) discussing this issue on an Delta or clone and the part was reasonably priced. Actually, now that I'm really thinking about it, it might have been a Jet and the recommendation was to replace with a Powermatic part that was interchangable but beefier. I'm sure someone will confirm or correct this info soon.

Another idea might be to buy one of the aftermarket quick release levers if they come with that part.

At any rate, it still should be a good saw for you at a reasonable price.

Good luck,
Andrew

There is a discussion on the 'Wood FORUM' in tool and tool buying, But it relates to the arm being broken and the bracket intact.
Cannon

Joseph Tarantino
05-11-2010, 9:28 PM
if you want to get the most out of your saw, contact iturra design. they don't have a website but can be reached here:

http://www.manta.com/c/mmc3znn/iturra-design

lou iturra has probably forgotten more about delta and jet 14" band saws than most people will ever know. have him weld you a 1/2" lennox for those new urethane tires and you'll never regret it. and get a copy of his catalog and you won't need to waste your money buying duginske's book. make the call. you'll be glad you did.

Doug Carpenter
05-14-2010, 7:08 AM
I may be in luck. I spoke with Grizzly yesterday. They had a modle in '91 that was very similar. I ordered a sliding bracket from them. It will be here in a couple days. He made no promises but it sure looks hopeful.

They are nice to deal with.

lowell holmes
05-14-2010, 7:42 AM
I preferr a crank handle adjuster. Look at Highland Hardware.

I have a Jet. It's a pretty decent bandsaw. I use mine to cut tenons and resaw.

I can recimmend the Kreg Bandsw fence.

Doug Carpenter
05-14-2010, 7:49 AM
I am reluctant to spend any more money on it untill I use it a couple times.