PDA

View Full Version : Measure twice, build once?

Robert McGowen
05-07-2010, 11:22 PM
Please, please, please, someone tell me that I am not the only one to have done this......... I built a mother's day present in my shop today. It was a hexagonal picnic table. I got the kids to help me carry it out of the shop because it was heavy. Their first words when they saw it...... get ready now... seriously here it comes.... "did you measure the door?" I will post pictures after mother's day of us knocking down the wall of the shop for the grand exit... It has been downhill since hitting 50, but I can at least laugh at myself now!

Ken Fitzgerald
05-08-2010, 12:34 AM
Robert....before building my shop I used a 8' x 13' shed that is attached to my carport. We had a new Home Depot in town and my wife insisted that I buy a table saw on sale there ....a Ridgid TS3650....cast iron....not a bad saw for a contractor saw at that price. So I did. It was her present to me. So I came back with my 1 ton Ford and loaded it in the back and took it home. I opened the box up...leaving it in the bed of the pickup and carried the parts into the shed as necessary to assemble the saw. It came with a nice mobility kit. Yup. Came time to use it......couldn't get it through the door. I special ordered at a local lumberyard...a 48" door for the shed. I did, however, get a recommendation for a contractor who eventually built my shop. Nice guy.

You aren't alone.

One more piece of advice.....the only one I'm qualified to give.....as you get older....you had better develop a sense of humor about yourself OR...you could live an AWFULly long time.....key word AWFUL......:eek::rolleyes: That's just based on my experience.

AL Ursich
05-08-2010, 1:09 AM
That guy on the TV Program NCIS has the same problem with a little "BOAT".... in the basement....:D:eek::D

AL

Rich Engelhardt
05-08-2010, 6:34 AM
My uncle Bob actually did build a boat in his basement back in the 1950's.
It was named the VirgE - after my Aunt Virginia.

Everybody teased him that he had to name it after her to placate her - after he had to demolish part of the house to get the boat out :D.
LOL!

He never lived it down.
Pity since he had a whole bunch of 8mm movies he'd filmed showing the crane being brought in to lift the boat out & aa big section of the house being torn out to get access.
He got so tired of being teased about it he tossed the movies.

BTW - he'd planned from the start though to remodel the house. 'course nobody believed him ;).

Doug W Swanson
05-08-2010, 8:09 AM
That's a bummer, Robert. Hopefully it's not too big of a deal to get the table out of the shop....

Doug

Mitchell Andrus
05-08-2010, 8:38 AM
My cousin built a kyak in his basement that wouldn't fit up the stairs. Well.... it fit in the stairway, it just wouldn't make the turn at the top. He now has a very nice window in the basement. For egress in case of a fire. Y'know... safety first.

Robert McGowen
05-09-2010, 7:53 PM
One simple photo just to show what I had to knock the wall down for..... and yes, it was made from scratch. About wore out a 12" sliding compound miter saw though!

Bill Orbine
05-10-2010, 7:51 PM
That guy on the TV Program NCIS has the same problem with a little "BOAT".... in the basement....:D:eek::D

AL

How DID Jethro Leroy Gibbs get that damn boat outta that basement? Like he wasn't worried about at all.