PDA

View Full Version : Parallel cuts with a GCSS

Rob Strause
11-19-2004, 10:56 AM
Hi Folks,

I was just wondering how you create square panels & boards with a GCSS. Especially regarding getting opposite sides of a piece perfectly parallel. Seems easy enough with a TS to do the opposite side, but how do you get it right w/o a TS? I'd imagine a lot of fussing and mistakes, so thought I'd ask.

Thanks,
Rob

Paul Berendsohn
11-19-2004, 11:02 AM
If you check out the sites for Festool and Eureka they both have squares for their rail systems. I've found that keeping cuts parallel and square isn't really difficult but the aids are out there for either system...

Jerry Golick
11-19-2004, 1:30 PM
Hi Rob,

You raise a good point. Getting parallel cuts using a GCSS can be a challenge. (BTW - I use the Festool system).

For smaller cuts (under about 48") I use the Festool Multi-Function Table (MFT) to get everything squared up. When properly aligned there is no problem making repeatable and parallel cuts.

For longer cuts, a different approach has to be taken. Paul mentioned the Festool angle guide, which is pretty good, but when you are doing an 8' rip still introduces some degree of error. Others have built larger variants of the MFT to accommodate full size sheets. In fact, I am designing one now (though it won't get built until sometime next May).

However, I also want to put the matter in perspective. I have been able to rip multiple 8' cuts with a variance of between 1-2mm with nothing more complex than a combo square at a framer's T-square. Any fine tuning can be done on the MFT.

Yes, a TS will save you time, and might produce a more accurate cut, but you have to consider the problem of accurately moving a 70lbs sheet of MDF or melamine across the blade by yourself. Even plywood can be tricky. Plus the extra room you need to manoeuvre.

All of which is why I am willing to put up with a small amount of inaccuracy when using my guide.

Hope this helps.

JayStPeter
11-19-2004, 2:49 PM
I made a little jig that will help align the rails at each end of the cut. It does a good job. It also allows me to make multiple pieces the same width.

Recently, most of my woodworking has been banging together cabinets and shelves from various sheet goods. The GCSS has been earning its keep.

Here's the jig:
http://users.gmpexpress.net/~jaystpeter/GCSS_Jig.jpg

Here's it aligning a rail:
http://users.gmpexpress.net/~jaystpeter/GCSS_JigInUse.jpg

I've gotten some ideas recently of ways to improve the jig. I will post results when I get done.

Jay