PDA

View Full Version : Cherry Bowl

GLENN THOMAS
05-07-2010, 7:59 PM
I guess this bowl is about 9 to 10 inches wide. It was another experiment with ebonizing and dying. So far I have only applied one coat of danish oil and will add a few more then buff.

Two doors down from the local Harborfreight is a leather shop. On one of my trips I thought I would see what kind of dyes they have and found this stuff. I applied it full strength to a piece of scrap magnolia and then tried to turn it down to remove the dyed surface. This stuff goes deeper than anything else I have ever seen. I removed almost 1/16 of an inch and could still see slight traces of the dye. The best thing is its relatively cheap compared to some wood dyes I've seen and it can be diluted with DNA.

The label on the bottle says it can be fatal if swallowed so keep it out of reach.

GT

John Keeton
05-07-2010, 8:57 PM
Glenn, Feibings is pretty popular as a quick wood dye, and the brown dye looks beautiful on woods like ash, etc. A reddish brown on maple. The black does a great job of ebonizing holly and maple. As you might guess, it is nearly impossible to dye "a portion" of a piece, as it will bleed badly into the adjoining wood.

Nice bowl!! I have never used the brown on cherry - that may make a nice color?!?! May have to try that on a scrap sometime.

Bernie Weishapl
05-07-2010, 9:55 PM
Nice bowl Glenn. I am not familiar with that dye but looks like it really worked pretty good.

David E Keller
05-08-2010, 1:30 AM
Nice work on the bowl. I like the color... It reminds me of cordovan shoe polish.

Steve Schlumpf
05-08-2010, 9:58 AM
First time I have heard of that dye - but it sure works well! Nice form to the bowl!

Cyril Griesbach
05-09-2010, 8:48 AM
Fiebings leather dye has been around for generations. It works well on wood. If you intend to add liming wax to a piece be sure to put a coat of your intended finish (oil works well) over the leather dye first, let it dry, then apply the wax and remove the excess with the oil finish.