PDA

View Full Version : Bench Top Drill Press

ron hokenson
05-07-2010, 7:40 PM
I am going to purchase a Bench Top Drill press and am not sure which one to get. I am a modeler, and first thought of the smaller Baby Drill Press. The more I think of it, I am thinking that it would be handy to have a somewhat larger one to use for woodworking. I would be setting up something for Drum Sanding possibly . I am somewhat room challenged and want to stay as small as possible. Height would be no more than 40".

I am not sure, but I guess something with 1/2HP and maybe 12 speeds or so with low speeds available would be what I want. I want at least a 12".

The ones I am considering are Grizzly G7943 (14") and the Rikon 30-120 (13"). I looked at the Delta, Jet and General and maybe one of those would work also. I also looked at the Shop Fox, but the quality might be an issue as the one I looked at was rough.

I want the best quality unit that has good product support should I need it.

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Brendan Plavis
05-07-2010, 7:44 PM
Skil has one.... I happened to see it when I went to get by BS..... it looked of Okay construction, and its only about $100

Paul Wunder
05-07-2010, 8:47 PM
I try to only buy tools of major manufacturers and to buy for the long term. That said, I recently bought a Harbor Freight bench top 13" d/p #13142. If it wasn't a tool that had a good reputation, both here on the Creek and on other forums, I wouldn't have given HF a second thought.

I suggest that you take a peek: heavily built, 16 speed with a low speed of 200rpm, 3/4 hp and with a 20% off coupon, I paid $159.00 at a local store.

You can also buy a one or two year service policy for about $20-32 respectively.

I have selectively bought a few things at HF and was surprised at the quality of customer service that I received. I actually bought my first #38142 on their web site ($12 shipping) and it arrived a week later looking like the box had been to war. Inside was a cracked drill press. I feared the worst and called their C/S. Surprising, even at this low price point, they were cheerful, and apologized for my problem. No Hassle! They then sent FEDEX to pick it up. To avoid a possible repeat damaged shipment, I went to a local HF store and paid $40.00 less. Not a bad ending.

Bob Betker
05-07-2010, 8:49 PM
I've got the Jet 12" Bench Top Drill Press and have found it very serviceable.
I've been using for it about 6 months and really haven't found anything to complain about. The fence and table aren't the greatest but really none of the stock units are much to get excited about. I just received a new drill press table and fence from Lee Valley that I'll be installing this weekend, which looks like it will improve its usefulness. Weight was an important factor for me since I don't have a lot of floor space; I have to remove many of my tools and store them on the shelf to access another on the table top. It weights about 90 pounds so it can be removed but it's not fun.
Good luck, Bob

glenn bradley
05-07-2010, 9:07 PM
Griz 7943 scored Best Value in this review: http://www.finewoodworking.com/fwnpdf/011192068.pdf

but that was in 2007.

Van Huskey
05-07-2010, 9:26 PM
As a modeler make sure it will chuck the size bits you use!

Mark Carlson
05-08-2010, 12:08 AM
I have the Delta 350. I bought it because of the variable speed feature. My only complaint is that in the 4 years I've had it I had to replace the switch, and last weekend one of the pully's actually exploded into about 20 pieces. I was drilling into angle iron but I was taking it easy.

~mark

Jim Heffner
05-08-2010, 12:08 AM
You might want to check out the Wilton 10" benchtop drill press #99170.
I have had one for 5 years and really like it, good machine. Spindle speeds range from 570 to 3050 rpm's, with a lot of good features that I really like.
I'm not connected with WMH tool group or anyone else....just making a personal recommendation based on personal usage. You might like it just as well as Delta, Jet, Craftsman or any other brand.

Myk Rian
05-08-2010, 11:02 AM
I have the Delta 350. I bought it because of the variable speed feature. My only complaint is that in the 4 years I've had it I had to replace the switch, and last weekend one of the pully's actually exploded into about 20 pieces. I was drilling into angle iron but I was taking it easy.
~mark
I also have a Delta DP350. Bought it for the VS.
1/2 of the switch died a month ago, so I rewired it to switch the hot wire.
No pulley explosions, but a split pin on the rear pulley has given me some problems. I use a wire tie to keep it in place.

Andrew Joiner
05-08-2010, 11:21 AM
I tested 4 drill presses at a local retailer for quill runout. I just used my hand.
The Jet JDP-12 was by far the truest. The floor drill presses costing more than twice as much had way more slop.

Do some research on tolerances for drill presses. I would only buy a drill press I could test in person or return easily.

Mark Carlson
05-08-2010, 12:17 PM
My pully has been replaced and my machine is back up and running. I had to run to OSH to get a pair of snap ring pliers. Didn't know there was such a thing.

I wish I could have bought a bench top machine made of higher quality parts. I know the variable speed mechanism is the next to go.

~mark

I also have a Delta DP350. Bought it for the VS.
1/2 of the switch died a month ago, so I rewired it to switch the hot wire.
No pulley explosions, but a split pin on the rear pulley has given me some problems. I use a wire tie to keep it in place.

Dave Gallaher
05-08-2010, 12:22 PM
I bought a used Atlas bench top DP that is 50 years old, and it runs true. I did have to replace a belt. I've had it for 9 months and it runs like it was brand new.